Fire and Spice - Cooking Contest [Results!]

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
Yuiven
Mystery
Mystery

Re: Fire and Spice - Cooking Contest

Post by Yuiven »

Leaves changing colours to red, gold, orange, and brown herald the arrival of Autumn. Days are shorter and nights are becoming longer, wrapping us in a chilly embrace. So, I decided to heat things up with a little ethnic Caribbean flavour, by means of this recipe to make for my "Fire and Spice" cooking contest entry: Baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

Gathered here is an itemized list of all of the ingredients:
  • Boneless Chicken Breasts (defrosted and cut into pieces)
  • Salt
  • Ground Allspice
  • Brown Sugar (packed)
  • Onion Powder
  • Minced Garlic (dried)
  • Ground Nutmeg
  • Black Pepper
  • Ground Ginger
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Ground Cinnamon
  • Thyme Leaves (dried)
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Mango and Lime Salsa
  • Rice (any variety)
First, I prepared the dry jerk rub by mixing the spices and herbs in order, as the recipe directed, into a large re-sealable plastic zipper bag. Then, one at a time, I tossed a boneless chicken breast inside and sealed it, before shaking to freely apply the seasoning blend.

Taking the coated boneless chicken breasts out of the large plastic zipper-sealed bag, I placed each one into a shallow aluminum pan, and covered them with a sheet of tinfoil. After that, I put the pan into the refrigerator to marinate.

Four hours later, the marinated boneless chicken breasts are ready to be cooked. Now the oven had to be preheated at a temperature of 350°F (175°C). In the meantime, I poured the vegetable oil into a 9x12 baking dish, and spreading it all over the bottom. Next, I took the pan out of the refrigerator and gently transferred the chicken breasts into the oiled baking dish, and then slid it onto the center rack of the oven. Because these chicken breasts are indeed boneless, cooking time was approximately reduced in half to only 40 minutes.

During the last fifteen minutes, I began making the rice (I had chosen Herb and Wild Rice) on the stove top, following the directions transcribed on the back of the package.

Removed the Baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken from the oven, as well as the rice from the stove top when cooked, allowing the Baked Jamaican Jerk Chicken to stand for another five minutes in order to cool and re-distribute the marinade flavourings into the meat. Along with the main course and its side dish, I also dolled out a spoonful of mango and lime salsa onto an empty section of the plate to serve with the meal. The mango chunks and the lime juice concentrate counteract the zesty combination of spices, relieving your burning tongue while eating.

Mek wi nyam! (Let's eat!)
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Re: Fire and Spice - Cooking Contest

Post by Orasteele »

So I thought to myself that I might make S'meaches for this contest... but the store lacked peaches. So instead we get S'mears because the pears were actually really nice! And since this isn't a camping experience we use trusty butane lighter for the fire... and yes the marshmellow did catch flame twice while trying to get one good photo. XD

Ended up having to take the pear out till after the marshmellow was cooked so that we could get a good mashed look to it. And it came out quite good. Though I still want to make some smeaches at some point.
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Re: Fire and Spice - Cooking Contest [Closed: Judging]

Post by Janalee »

*so very, very hungry after looking through all the entries* XD
Thanks so much for entering everyone! These contests always make me wish I were a better cook...or could invite all of you over to make something for me. :D The judging should be done by next Monday, so good luck until then!
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

XD Definitely have to say that I'd love to try some of these entries out for myself in the future! Anywhoodles, good luck everyone! XD I can't wait to see what comes outta all this great food!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

To anyone who wants my recipe feel free to drop me a PM. Only good tandoori chicken I've found that doesn't require a tandoor oven and still tastes right.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

You guys, this is so the wrong thread to be in when you're feeling peckish XD But I just have to comment on all of the delish food!

@SilverDapples - Mmm, steak! One of my favorites XD

@RikkuGirl - Aww, those are so cute! And look gooooood - go chocolate and peanut butter!

@Echos - Ooh, I'd love the recipe for this! And I've gotta say it's pretty awesome to see photos of a piece of chicken on a plate on fire XD Glad to hear it went well, even if your roommates were well prepared!

@Origami_Dragon - Hah, that's cute XD Pepperoni sandwiches are so good, I always get the pizza sub from Subway!

@luna and mattlock - Wow, that's quite a cake O_O I love the dinosaur and the little rocks and details on the cake, and the marbled colors! Not to mention that it sounds very yummy!

I've gotta find a way for these contests to involve sending me food.. >_>

@Seren - Mmm, that sounds really yummy! I don't think I've had paprikash before, I might have to give it a try!

@silvermoondragon - I'm getting a lot of dinner ideas from this contest XD That looks really yummy too. And Baked Alaska, yay! There's just something about food that's supposed to be on fire that's so fun :D

@Kentouma - Mmm, tomato soup and grilled cheese are the perfect comfort foods. All the better spiced up :D

@Jaes - Whoo hoo, more food on fire! And a big batch of delicious summer fruits, yum!

@Pristine - Bah, 'no reason' cooking is the best kind :D This is another recipe I'm definitely going to have to try! I've had Mexican-spiced hot chocolate before and can just imagine how yummy similarly spiced cupcakes would be!

@Yuiven - A delicious meal for fall! I can practically smell this cooking in my oven right now XD

@Orasteele - Hah, S'mears XD I've never tried putting fruit on a s'more before, sounds yummy! S'meaches sound really good too!

..if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of cooking to do XD
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

So many awesome entries! Gotta be hard! Good luck judging! And good luck to everyone :) these are all really good ideas and yummy food! Omg im so hungry now. :)
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Still uber excited to see who won!

I think Ill cook the winning entry and see how fire and spicey it is! xD -squeals- Omg excited. <3333

Good luck again to everyone :3
My Sams!

SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

XD I imagine one of those entries that was really on fire is probably going to be up there when it comes to winners XD Fiyaaahh - seriously I need to try one of those in the future XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

I'm so sorry for the lengthy delay everyone- I was definitely right that you guys wouldn't make it easy for me to judge this one. *grins* If only I'd had at least three extra prizes in the pot to work with. After asking two other people to help me out though, (and many an argument later,) I finally have the winners, along with everyone's random Modiems!

First Place
silvermoondragon: First pick from the prize pot, Trait Modiem
Ooh, I wish I could make such an elegant, delicious looking meal! Spices for supper, and fire and ice cream for dessert...what more could you want? :D
Second Place
Luna and Mattlock: Second pick from the prize pot, Breeding Modiem
I'm glad that worked out so well for you! That's quite the impressive cake, with its marbling and Allosaurus friend...I think my favorite part may be that the slices include all the layers of the cake in them though. ;)
Third Place
Pristine: Final prize from the pot, Pattern Modiem
But...eating is the best reason to make new foods! XD Though, having neighbors you can share food with is a pretty good one too. And the combination of chocolate and chili powder is such a fun one- I definitely wouldn't mind getting these for a gift!

Remaining Random Modiems
SilverDapples: Rarity Modiem
Hehe, I actually like to put my steak on a bit of potato when I'm eating it as well- it's such a classic combination. ^^ Mmm, and those delicious looking steaks definitely make me wish that I was better at using a grill...or cooking meat in general. *grins*

Rikku: Species Modiem
I love that you made an indoor campfire out of candles! I'm going to have to try that myself someday...though I think I'll avoid the hurricanes. XP And anything involving the combination of marshmallow and chocolate pretty much gets my approval every time!

Echos: Species Modiem
I once again really wish there was an Indian restaurant closer to my house...that, or I had a tandoor myself. *grins* This looks so good- and I thought the flame pictures turned out pretty well too!

Origami: Rarity Modiem
*laughs* Food art definitely counts! I actually really like how the jagged tears turned out as well- it makes me think of a campfire in a children's book somehow. :)

Seren: Rarity Modiem
I have to say, I was hoping people would make some dishes I'd never heard of before, just to give me ideas about things to look into making. ^_^ I'll definitely have to keep this one in mind, it looks fantastic! And it most certainly covers the fiery theme in several ways- though poor potato bottom! XD

Kentouma: Rarity Modiem
Cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are such a great combination, and I agree, if it's spicy, even better! ^_^ It's always fun finding new things to do with old favorites. And the volcano biscuits sound fantastic as well!

Jaes: Species Modiem
*laughs* Oh, you're not nearly as sloppy a cook as I am! I figure as long as it tastes good, everything else is good too. *grins* And flaming fruit over ice cream? Definitely delicious!

Yuiven: Color Modiem
Mmm, jerk chicken definitely sounds like a perfect accompaniment for a chilly evening- and the mango lime salsa adds such a flair to it! I'd certainly say it's time to eat! :D

Orasteele: Breeding Modiem
I've never heard of putting fruit in a S'more before, but now that I think about it, it seems like a perfect fit! I don't suppose a Sm'aspberry is a thing, too? And I'm kind of afraid to ask about blackberries... ^_^

Thanks so much for entering everyone, and congrats to the winners! Just reply here with what prizes you chose, and I'll get the final list to Sushi as soon as possible. *smiles*
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Fire and Spice - Cooking Contest [Results!]

Post by silvermoondragon »

Yay! Thanks Janalee! I do loove these cooking contests. They're just the inspiration I need to go searching the internet for new and exciting recipes and then try them out! Especially when I have my mom's pantry at my disposal XD I only wish my Baked Alaska had turned out a little prettier, but it was tasty enough that I intend to try again some day in the future.

I will take the custom token please.

I totally want to try some of these other ideas too, especially those cupcakes! The combination of sweet and spicy is just so intriguing.
luna and mattlock
Samanayr
Samanayr
Favorite Sam species: All

Post by luna and mattlock »

Eeeee, how exciting! Thank you! And congrats to the other winners! Such awesome entries!

Also, we had no idea how to cut the cake, except how we did >->

I would like this Sam:

What are the mutations? I think I know some, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I think it's rabbit ears, combo giant Draconic wings, black eyes, tufted tail, biped...
ImageImage
ImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Congrats guys! And thank you! :)
My Sams!

SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

Re Luna: head mane, and the Rabbit ears may just be Large ears rather
Giant PS: Future. Baby. Seriously. XD (AKA asking permission for a far in the future event... >> XD)
Pristine
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Pristine »

Oh wow, does that mean I get Conflagration? Yay, I was hoping for her for sure :D

Congratulations to all of the winners! I really enjoyed looking through the recipes here... I'm glad the one I found might have been as inspirational as some of the ones I found here from others. The dinosaur cake especially is something I'd love to make some time!

Thank you for the great contest, Janalee :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: northern tribal

Post by Jaes »

Congrats, everyone! That was a lot of fun - Can't wait to try everyone's recipes.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Congrats everyone :D I'm glad I wasn't judging this one, phew! Poor Janalee XD I'll be updating the Sams' certs and adding inventory prizes shortly!

So far I've made the cupcakes and they were num, although I topped them with my super dark chocolate frosting instead of the recipe's frosting. Mmmm!

@Luna and Mattlock - His traits are Pure Black Eyes, Rabbit Ears, Tufted Tail, Wraparound Giant Draconic Wings, Head Mane, Mini, Biped!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
luna and mattlock
Samanayr
Samanayr
Favorite Sam species: All

Post by luna and mattlock »

Wow! Mini? So cute! and Rabbit ears ftw ^-^ Think this boy will need his very own song.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Yuiven
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Yuiven »

Mmm... it never fails to make me hungry after browsing all of the yummy culinary creations from the talented chefs. :9 They are also skilled photographers, who take nice, clear photos of the food that are pretty to look at; the food looks as delicious to eat as it appears-- something which looks as grand as this stuff cannot taste bad.

Congratulations silvermoondragon, Luna and Mattlock, and Pristine! You should be proud of yourselves. No words other than "truly impressive" can possibly describe what sorts of fascinating and beautiful dishes you three created in the kitchen! And a toast to all of my fellow entrants for their own remarkable food and drink! Every time I think I have seen the creative extent of the Samanayr community, I am all too happily made to eat my words. Conversely, such 'cool' prizes were given out too. Thanks for the color modiem.

Everyone has a natural flair for cooking, and I'm glad that we're able to upload and share each other's personal interpretation of the fire and spice theme. I am definitely going to have to try cooking some of these recipes myself, to appease my empty stomach, in the future. Thank you for hosting the cooking contest, Janalee! I would also like to say that I appreciate yours and Sushi's thoughtfulness for taking the time to write such nice comments on each entry. It's a delightful personal touch. :)