A mare for Valor - design contest! Results!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

A mare for Valor - design contest! Results!

Post by Sushidragon »

The Festival of New Spring is in full swing, Samanayrs from near and far congregating at the Song of the Rainbow Hotsprings to celebrate the arrival of spring. Normally Glint of the Ice Prism is on hand to welcome and visit among the crowds, but this year he has been scarce. Also unusual is the fact that no new foals from the Song of the Rainbow are in evidence, and the mares also appear rather subdued.

A possible explanation for Glint’s disappearance appears towards the end of the first day of the Festival, in the form of a fiery Kirin stallion. He times his appearance well, soaring over the hotsprings with the golden light of the setting sun behind him.

He lands at the rim of the large hotspring the Song of the Rainbow calls home, and a crowd slowly gathers as he perches there perfectly still, wings still spread. After a few minutes, perhaps when he’s determined that a crowd of sufficient size has gathered, the stallion folds his wings and looks around with a serious expression on his face.
"Greetings," he says in a deep, carrying voice. "I am Valor of the Fearsome Flame, lead stallion of the Song of the Rainbow Aflame. It has been decided that the Song of the Rainbow requires some.. support, and I have been elected to head the Song that will lead alongside them."

"Elected by who?" somebody shouts.

The stallion just smiles, or perhaps a smirk would be a better way to describe the expression on his face. "I'm afraid that information is between myself and Glint of the Ice Prism. If he were here, he would say the same."

"I am here," Glint calls from towards the back of the crowd. The Samanayrs between the two stallions part to let him through, but Glint remains where he is, watching Valor with narrowed eyes.

Valor waits a few moments, and continues when Glint doesn't say anything further. "My Song and I will be using the Song of the Rainbow Hotsprings as our base and travelling where and when needed. The Song of the Rainbow will help to raise any foals born to my Song, as they will be unable to accompany us. But of course, for foals, first I need mares!" The stallion smiles again, sweeping his gaze over the crowd. "Perhaps I'll find the lucky ladies I'm looking for here?"

Eligible mares begin to murmur among themselves, eyeing the fiery stallion, until he concludes his speech with "Kirin mares only, of course." The murmuring abruptly ceases.

---

Well, this is interesting! Why would the Song of the Rainbow require another Song to help them out? Help them out with what? We'll find out when I finally finish that interactive story I started a while ago, which is my writing goal for April XD

Anyway, Valor is here, and he needs mares! To start he's just looking for a lead mare, and that's where you come in :D Design a mare for Valor! The winning design will be turned into the lead mare for the Song of the Rainbow Aflame. I'll be picking a design based on creativity, uniqueness, overall aesthetic appeal, and compatability with Valor. He's a bit arrogant and proud, hopefully finding the perfect mare will mellow him out a bit.. although it might just make things worse O_O
Rules and info
- There is a limit of one entry per person. Please enter on PI or the Sam forum, not both places.
- Like the Song of the Rainbow, the Song of the Rainbow Aflame will be a public Song. This means that anyone can apply for a breeding with them and I'll occasionally include foals from them as prizes and such.
- The mare must be a Kirin or Kirin combination.
- Any traits except unique or species-specific allowed!
- Samanayrs are very small, so when designing please keep in mind that it can be difficult for me to do very small or detailed markings.
- Since Samanayrs are hand-colored it can be difficult for me to match up the exact colors, but I'll try my best!
- Your entry can be written, drawn, or a combination of both. You won't be judged on the quality of writing or drawing, just on the design itself. Visual aids are most appreciated, particularly for detailed markings and that kind of thing.
- Entries can be as detailed or vague as you'd like, but please be sure to fill out all of the info on the form as a bare minimum.
Prizes!
The grand prize winner will have their design become the lead mare of the Song of the Rainbow Aflame!

One random winner will have their design turned into a Samanayr, although it will not be a member of the Song.

All entrants will receive a random tradeable item :D
How to enter
Please send me a PM with the subject Valor's match? with the following form filled out:

[/b]Username:
Samanayr name:
Species:
Traits:
Markings and colors:
Personality:
Accessories (if any):
Other relevant info (if any): [/b]

This will be open until April 10, 1pm PDT/20:00 PI time. Good luck!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Re: A mare for Valor - design contest!

Post by Codress »

Wow this is neat and Valor is VERY handsome ^_^
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

To be honest, I am really curious to see what other people are doing for their mares. XD I hope we get to share the arts and wordss just to see when everything is decided XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

SilverDapples wrote:To be honest, I am really curious to see what other people are doing for their mares. XD I hope we get to share the arts and wordss just to see when everything is decided XD
Of course! I plan on posting mine as soon as it closes! I always love seeing what everyone does. :)
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

RikkuGirl wrote:
SilverDapples wrote:To be honest, I am really curious to see what other people are doing for their mares. XD I hope we get to share the arts and wordss just to see when everything is decided XD
Of course! I plan on posting mine as soon as it closes! I always love seeing what everyone does. :)
Me too! I hate waiting for the results, not because I care who wins but my curiosity about the other entries drives me crazy XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

Echos wrote:
RikkuGirl wrote:
Me too! I hate waiting for the results, not because I care who wins but my curiosity about the other entries drives me crazy XD

Joy!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one! (omg that makes me feel better, okay. <3)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

I wanted to draw my lady, but I didn't get around to it. XD If I have time later I will try to :3
Signature under construction!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Re: A mare for Valor - design contest! Results!

Post by Sushidragon »

Phew, as always, it was quite difficult for me to judge this contest - so many wonderful entries! However, it looks like Valor has finally found his mare :D Congrats to Jaes!

I just loved her combination of colours and her dragonish traits, and her regal nature should serve her well as lead mare of the Song of the Rainbow Aflame! And they should make some stunning foals :D

Coincidentally enough, the randomly-selected mare is also quite dragonish :D Congrats to AranelSaraphim!

Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

*Oooh and aaahs and drools over dragonish Kirin ladies*
Congrats Jaes and Aranel! Some seriously beautiful mares right there. :O
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

congrats you twoo, i really love the dragony theme we've got going on here
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

Congrats guys! The Kirin-Dragon mix is definitely a lovely combination. ^^
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

WOW!!! Congrats you guys!! They are just gorgeous!
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

Popping this in here because we said we were sharing (image too large so the link is safest X'D)

http://fav.me/d7ddj3r

(still loving the dragon themes)
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Oooh, yes, sharing! :D
I love that Betta-inspired mare, Dapples! I've had Betta for years, so that touches a sweet spot for me~<3

(Clickie for larger)
I think my design probably ended up too busy, but I really enjoyed the idea of a Kodyla Kirin Combination, mainly due to the fact that there would be so much family drama in her backstory. >:D
Traits I used; Kodyla Traits (Longhair, Extensive Foot Tufts) and Kirin Traits (Kirin Ears, Kirin Scales, Kirin Horn, Pure Black Eyes), Bull Horns, Tufted Tail, Multiple Legs, Combination Hooves (Spike/Large) Ignis (Equine Mane).
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: northern tribal

Post by Jaes »

Wow, look at them! They're both so gorgeous - I love their colors and those kirin traits are just too cool. It's so awesome to see my idea drawn out!

SilverDapples - Bettas are such beautiful fish and you did a great job with that tail and fins. And CosmicDragon, a Kodyla and Kirin combination is so cool! And I really like the stripes and the colors on her foot tuffs.