The Great Bird Hunt - finished! Items! See last page!

Engage in some good ol' freeform RP.
Esperanza
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Deserts & Illiayrs

Re: The Great Bird Hunt

Post by Esperanza »

Gem felt the heat of the lightning as it narrowly missed her, when she felt something grab her she looked around quickly and saw Chilling holding her, who had luckily saved her from being struck by lightning. "Thank you!" She grinned, before running back through the dragon's legs, which would hopefully confused it. She jumped onto one of its feet and then tried to bounce off quickly as to avoid being flung into a wall, or worse off the cliff. She suddenly noticed that their was the actual bird that they had came to defeat. She turned her head in confusion when she noticed the samanayr next to it. She then noticed that it was the samanayr rider and the bird that had saved Glint. Getting out of her confused daze she continued to attack the dragon's belly.
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

Just as she thought she might get to enjoy the probable failure of the soft approach that the harnessed mare and one of the stallions was attempting, plus the thrill of having the group obey her, the dark shadow of some other large creature called Calamity's attention away. The large bird that met her gaze might have been interesting enough on its own, though she could hardly believe that they'd form a group this size to hunt just that- it was its odd cargo that really made it intriguing though. A Samanayr stallion...and was that really Glint again? She smirked to herself, a bit amused at their luck, and her apparent lack of it; so much for the idea of taking over the group then.
      As the new stallion shouted orders to attack, she turned back to the spectacle of the unknown creature, wondering how many would simply follow those orders blindly. As more and more of the group rushed at it, she chuckled softly, not sure why they'd listen to a Sam they'd never even seen before; it seemed their blood-lust must be just as strong as hers, though few cared to admit it. Well, she could take her pleasure either way, if that was how they wanted it. Abandoning the loose wall of flames, she instead focused on the one fiery arm already closer to the beast, sending it slithering over till it loosely encircled its farthest wing; just a little something to enjoy the feeling of having tried to hurt it, before letting herself simply sit back and enjoy the show. With all of the lightning and varied physical attacks, it certainly was proving to be a rather entertaining one.

((@ Sushi- I'm glad you think she's fine so far; I just know that at least one person was hurt by some of her callous analysis of the action in the original post, and I figured it wasn't worth it then. Though, I didn't mean to be so dramatic about it either...I probably should have taken your cue and stopped myself from writing too much when I had a headache. ^^ Sorry about that!))
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Frustration at the creatures obliviousness to her efforts had begun to creep up on her, dulling her concentration, when another winged creature dove past her. Startled, she swung her head around without thinking and was surprised to see not only the giant bird that was supposedly the whole reason for this little trip, but a new Samanayr who had apparently been riding the great avian, and smaller dragonet, and (she sighed with relief at this) tumbling from it's claws was Glint!

It was difficult to hear over the din surrounding her so close to the creature, but whatever the new sam had said spurred those already attacking the creature into a fierce frenzy. The Misery with whom she had been speaking called to him a storm, with lightning arcing towards the head of the beast, while winged Sam's dove at any vulnerable area they could reach. She jumped aside as a mare ran past her, horns lowered.

Beginning to despair of her efforts, she summoned whatever it was that had driven her to calm it in the first place and dashed between a leg and the wall on her side. She hadn't seen any injuries, and she had looked hard that the creatures front, but once she skittered out behind it the first thing she noticed was the dark red of dried blood and the shaft of wood sticking out at an angle from beneath one of the large overlapping scales.

Perhaps it had been an arrow once, or merely a tree branch, it was impossible to tell, but it's positioning was such that the creature would never be able to reach it. Before the dragon had a chance to realise she was unprotected and alone behind it, she darted forward, grabbing the 'splinter' between her teeth and yanking. It was harder to remove than she'd anticipated, and when a stomach-turning squelch finally signified it leaving the wound she tumbled backwards, head over heels, with the force of her effort. She sat, stunned, for a minute with the stick still clutched in her teeth.
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Gyre had barely had time to come to terms with the fact that his father's sister's stallion was...gone, when suddenly he wasn't. The young stallion had been frozen in place, in both mind and body from the shock, unable to react to anything that was going on around him. And then suddenly, looming out of the sky like what he would have called his worst nightmare if the giant beast hadn't showed up first, was an enormous falcon. All his life Gyre had been told by his mother that birds would carry you off if you weren't careful. And now here was one big enough to do just that. He shrilled in fear, pressing back against...not Gem anymore but bare stone.

The missing Gem and the sudden tumble of Glint from the bird's back, soon followed by a more graceful stallion garbed in odd items, woke Gyre from his paralysis. Twisting around frantically he finally spotted Gem, delicate little mare that she looked, racing full tilt towards the monster. Even as he watched she barreled full into it, slamming into the beast, then lashing out with hooves. Chaos was erupting all around him as Sams alternately fled the scene or charged into battle. He felt Moonlight gather herself and leap into the air, peeping in an odd fashion as she took off towards the bird, winding up perched on the side of the cliff above it, staring down in evident fascination at the giant falcon.

It was too late to call her back; she'd never hear him in all this fuss. For a moment Gyre thought his vision was clouding over, going dark with panic. But slowly the long fur of his mane began to stand out from his neck and his skin crawled; the only warning he had before a vivid streak of light blazed through the sky, heading straight for the monster. Which meant towards Gem. And Glint. And Moonlight. But mostly Gem.

Gyre never could recall making a conscious decision to move then. He simply found himself racing up the path, nimbly skirting the stationary or slower moving Sams between him and his goal. This path was no worse than many he'd climbed in the desert and better than most if you could forget about the long drop off to one side. He couldn't see Gem anymore for the longest time it seemed, then she was back, dropped down from the sky by another Sam. He didn't waste time trying to figure out how the other Sam had lifted her; none of the fliers he had met had ever indicated it was possible to lift your own weight. But who cared right now. Gyre simply continued racing on to do what was either the single bravest or the single most idiotic thing he had ever done. He kept running past the beast, heading for the wing closest to the rising cliff, and leapt, sinking his teeth into the edge of the wing membrane, eyes tightly closed.

Unfortunately for him...this meant that he didn't see the flames heading for the beast. Or the mare wiggling her way past to yank a 'thorn' from it's side not far from him. He was too busy hanging on, hoping he wasn't about to go flying over the side or into the cliff as well.

((And I have no idea which wing is the furthest from Calamity so I don't know if Gyre's about to get scorched or not... And there's nothing wrong with a coldly calculating character. If that's how she is, then she is. It takes all types, and that's certainly a personality that exists in the world. That's part of why I hesitate to play with the nastier characters though...never know when someone will wind up so involved in the RP that they get upset because someone else's character was too mean to theirs or something...))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Pathos
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Pathos »

Distracted by the strange Samanayrs entrance with the huge bird and breathing hard from his continued attack, Tyger backed off momentarily to breathe. He had a shallow cut along his side from a close call with the monster's deadly claws but was otherwise unhurt.

The misery's electrical attack looked devastating and the creature seemed momentarily dazed by the power unleashed in his face. Checking to make sure Chilling wasn't in too precarious a position, Tyger launched himself towards the delicate membrane of the creature's wing, intending to shred it with the sharp points of his hooves...
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

((@ Origami_Dragon: *chuckles* Yeah, I suppose 'further' really doesn't describe it much at all, if you can't tell where everyone is. XP It's meant to be the wing that Takaeji's Gust isn't attacking, if that helps...and if that is the wing Gyre's going after, let me know and I'll see if Calamity feels the need to move the flames or not. *looks pleadingly at the Elemental, for poor Gyre's sake* He's just too handsome to burn for no reason. XD
And yeah, I did debate about using her for a little bit...but the idea of her going on this mission amused me so much that I just couldn't resist. *grins* It's just kind of fun to have characters with different motives once in awhile.))
Takaeji
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Takaeji »

( I imagined Gust attacking the wing closest to the edge of the cliff, not the one closer to the rock, if that helps in the least. Unless I'm imagining it wrong, I didn't think he'd want to actually be able to burst through the wing and accidently slam into a rock. 'XD )
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

((@ Takaeji: Ooh, thanks, that does help! And good logic to boot. ^^ Poor, poor Gyre...))

With all of numerous things happening seemingly just to amuse her, Calamity's attentions wandered all over the scene, nearly causing her to miss as the Desert-hybrid stallion careened towards the errant flames. As it was, she only noticed after he was already dangerously close; she had no doubt it would be uncomfortable for him now, to say the very least. Her mouth curled up into a sharp, crooked smile at the sight; for a long moment, she considered doing nothing at all, and just seeing how it would continue. After the moment passed though, and when it became clear that yet another Sam was heading towards the wings, she finally caused the flames to break away from the stallion and disappear in trails of seductive smoke instead- certainly she'd have too many questions to answer if she seriously hurt him, and she had no desire to be run off just yet, when things were finally going so well. To appease herself a bit though, she caused them to leave just a tad too slowly, nothing obvious; it might make him blister a little bit if he couldn't wiggle himself far enough away, but nothing worse than that. Certainly they couldn't really blame her for that since the flames had been going there first, right?
Last edited by Janalee on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slydogg121
Lamanayr
Lamanayr
Favorite Sam species: all

Post by Slydogg121 »

Shifting Sands ducked reflexively as another shadow passed overhead, Another one? he thought to himself as he looked around, hoping it wasn't another beast as the soothing sounds and words they were using didn't seem to be working on this one at all. He looked just in time to see a feathered shape dive after over the cliff, The Bird? was here too? Now it was official, his head really hurt. he backed away, knowing that his tome was getting too sharp to do any good, the pain in his head was throbbing in time with his heart. As he was backing away the Bird landed, and Glint slipped off its back, as he watched a Samanayr-kin dropped much more gracefully along with another smaller creature.

"We need to kill this thing!" the stallion yelled, while the falcon mantled its wings and shrieked at the creature. It bellowed in return, still distracted by the winged Samanayrs. "Go for its eyes, its wings, its belly!"

Well there is something, he thought, now we at least know what we need to do.

He saw some fly to harry the beast further, trying to get claws and teeth on the wings, some diving for the eyes and then the Misery started calling his magic.
"Get away from it's head!" he heard him say. The storm clouds gathered, and he saw sparks coming off the Misery himself. He had never seen a Misery call its Magic, it was supposed to be awe-full, in every sense of the word, as it was usually done to cause others' pain and suffering. This time it would only be awe-inspiring, as this Misery was on our side. He saw the lightning filled clouds gather, turning the most ominous of colors before CRACK!, the lightning struck at the beast it appeared the Misery was aiming at the eyes, either to dazzle or blind, either of which would be beneficial. The balefire elemental mare started joining in on the battle trying to to scorch his wings, another Sam-kin going after the other, and the little scaled mare that had been so scared was now battering at its underbelly.

Shifting Sands was not built for a physical attack, true he had wings but his feet had no claws, he could not rend, just wide spread cloven hooves, to better travel over the very sands he was named after. He had one thing though... he was an Earth Mystic, Shifting Sands wasn't just a name he could effect, slightly, the texture of the earth, either hardening it for a path, or softening it to facilitate growing. This path was very hard, the beast was up on its hind legs, perhaps if the ground was softened a bit under its very feet, the beast might just loose its balance a bit. He just wasn't sure he had the delicateness of touch required of this, his mother, she could soften a small enough section that only a hair could be tucked in. He had to try. "Watch your feet" he called out hoping everyone would understand, and he started to concentrate. He had to close his eyes to focus on the ground directly beneath the beasts feet. He crouched down a bit as well, hoping that his position, he had backed himself very near the cliff wall, would not interfere with anyone. As he concentrated he felt the pounding in his head recede, almost as if his Mystic magics had been trying to tell him he was on the wrong path, and now was on the right one, A puzzle for another time. He settled himself again and could feel that something was happening.

((( "He had never seen a Misery call its Magic, it was supposed to be awe-full" This was meant to be read as both awefull as in horrible and full of awe as in watching something beautiful. I am sorry I went on so long.... Also if I am portraying his Mystic power as too much please thwack me)))
Puuka
Fluffy
Fluffy
Favorite Sam species: Healer, Illiyar, Rider

Post by Puuka »

((Edited to add: I'm sorry for not posting yesterday, (and the day before I think O.o) We've been having rolling blackouts (most lasting hours at a time) here because it's been so unusually cold (I live in FL) and the power companies don't know what to do with everyone using the heat so much. XD It's funny really! All of you up north are laughing at us I'm sure while we complain that 30 and 40 degrees is WAY too cold! ))

Healer gasped in horror as Glint was thrown violently from the cliff's face. Chaos surrounded her and she was terrified. Two flying Samanayrs dove to his aid, but she knew they wouldn't be fast enough, everyone had been caught off guard. Her heart weeped for the loss of their leader - a great Stallion. As she stood, frozen with fear watching silently as a few of the braver Sams attempted a weak offense, a great bird came over their group and into view: another adversary. Amazingly from the back of this new threat fell the dazed form of their heroic leader, Glint! Another form jumped from the back of the raptor, an unknown Sam that seemed to be the master of this great animal.

"We need to kill this thing!" The stranger cried "Go for its eyes, its wings, its belly!" Healer was so shocked from the unbelievable rescue of Glint, and the amazing concentrated effort that was being put forth from their group, she didn't know what to do with herself! Healer wasn't a big Samanayr, nor was she all that strong. She had no weapons and her only magic was for healing. She had to do what she did best! How else would these poor injured warriors survive? Healer bolted to Glint's side, a song ringing from her mouth, a melodic hymn of soothing and restoration. right now she was targeting Glint, but as the battle wore on, she became more and more aware of the pain of other injured Samanayrs: soldiers that were still doing battle. She began to sing louder, the music lending strength to her magic. She concentrated all of her own energy on the enchantment, willing the wounds of the damaged to be mended - determined to boost the strength of all in the party.

((Jen, I have to say, I think you're playing Calamity well! If anything, I'd love to see her more to her nature. If she's a mean spirited character then she should be played as such. this is a work of fiction, and everyone should realize that we are not playing ourselves (though many - like myself might play characters with personalities similar to their own. XD) We should not be offended by what a character says or does because it's taken to literally. I'm saddened to think that a character's natural response to a situation might be altered for fear of offending someone. Though I can all to well understand getting so well into a role that one might get mad at a malicious character. I've been in many a very heated IC fight for just such a thing playing d&d XD <3 ))
Trusted
Foal
Foal

Post by Trusted »

"Fall? Fall, are you there?"
At that moment any voice Fall could have done with. He shuddered a breath and opened his eyes. The light was immense, so he quickly shut them again. In an attempt to speak his voice came out a mumble.
"Huh....what h-h-happened?" He managed to whisper quietly. He could feel cool water on his back as the sweet voice said again,
"It's ok now, I've got you. Do you remember? You were knocked out of the sky by the creature," the voice paused as Fall let out a despairing moan. How embarrassing... then the voice continued.
"And I took you here. Do you remember me? I'm Prancer?"
Of course, it was a mares' voice! Fall's eyes flew open and he attempted to sit up, but failed miserably and his heavy body fell to the floor again. "Ugh. I did? Darn. Where am I?"
"You recall, then, that you met me before. I'm really with the other mares, helping to heal wounded 'soldiers', as you might call them."
Fall went red as he saw a couple of mares behind Prancer, giggling away. His tail lashed at top speed. He'd never forget this.
"Grr. Yea, I remember you." He folded his wings and stood up, coughing importantly. He grunted with annoyance as the mares loped away, laughing, and blew the fur out of his face. He moodily stamped the ground with a large clawed paw, and turned back to Prancer. She nodded and glanced at the beast, swatting at the flying sams around it and roaring with displeasure as one clawed at his eye. She laughed and looked back at Fall. This time it was his turn to nod, and he jumped into the air. While he was getting his senses in gear for flight, Prancer cried,
"You can't! You've just hurt yourself!"
"I'll be fine," Fall replied proudly, and flew away to help, accompanied by his newly-gained wisdom.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

((Oh, and for all that are saying Misery's lightning is hitting the ground, it isn't O_o He's a storm mage, meaning that he has control over lightning, and can thus direct it where he wants it to go. No misses XD

Like Tris in Tamora Pierce's Circle Opens series *grins*))
Esperanza
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Esperanza »

Gem turned her ears when she heard more hooves running down the track, she turned around just fast enough to see Gyre running past the beast, leaping, and sinking his teeth into the wing membrane. She suddenly saw the flames that were heading for that very same wing. Her eyes widened with fear, "Gyre!" She called out, her voice cracking slightly with worry. She looked up, seeing the fire elemental mare pull away the flames, which left trails of smoke which she still could not see through. She once more kicked up at the beast and once again tried to jump over its leg, she had to get to Gyre to see if he was alright.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

(OOC: PUUKA! I totaly agree with you! I live in ft. lauderdale and it has been FREEZING the past few weeks. There was ICE on my windshield the other day! I freaked. lol I dont have the clothes for this weather... flip flops and shorts dont cut it o.< Keep warm! Lol youll have to tell me what part your from ;P Maybe a disney excursion will be in order one of these days XD *hugs*

Lvsoul - Oh! Well... now we know ^_^:; BUT! Made for a great story. lol Can we say he lost attention for two seconds and a rogue one defied his magic XD lol *hugs* ^^ Ill react differently from now on with his magic. ^_^)
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Glint could only stand there woozily as the battle raged before him. He nodded at Reflection as she joined him, and leaned on her for support while he regained his footing. He hadn't noticed the Healer join the group, and sagged with relief as she soothed the pain in his throbbing side and legs.

The creature screamed with agony as Misery's lightning struck it square in the eyes. The bolt would have leveled a normal creature that size, but it did send the creature staggering several steps backward on its hind legs. It reached up its massive front paws as if to cover its smoking face, further exposing its underside.

Blinded by the pain, it didn't register the other attackers until they struck, horns driving through the more delicate scales of its belly, solid impacts driving it back further. It kept up a steady cry of pain now, punctuated by a high yelp as Gust tore through the membranes of one of its wings, and another as its other wing burst into flame. As it staggered back, it narrowly missed stepping on Odyssey, and approached a curve in the path.

As they struck, the falcon spread its wings and dove from the edge of the cliff at a gesture from its Samanayr rider. It followed a path similar to the one Gust had taken, swooping away from the cliff a short ways and gaining some height before turning back towards the path and diving. The bellowing, smoking creature was an easy enough target - the falcon struck it squarely in the chest with its fisted talons. The power of the strike was enough to drive the creature back even further, and with a final, desperate roar, it stagged backwards over the edge of the curving path.

Front paws grabbing at the air and ruined wings flailing uselessly, the creature disappeared from sight and fell into open air. There was a long pause before the barely-distinct thud.

Hopefully, Glint looked at the white-and-brown Samanayr that had saved him. He in turn in turn looked to his falcon, who was now spiraling over the place where the creature had fallen. The falcon screeched in triumph as it flew, and the stallion nodded in satisfaction.

"Not a clean kill, but at least the thing is dead," he said. Glint nodded weakly, and turned to look at the group. Having looked his own death in the face had left him understandably shaken, but at least he had the strength to stand on his own four feet.

"That was.. that was spectacular," he said. Glint paused, not sure what to say next, or even if anyone was listening. "Thank you," he finally said. Flowery words and speeches had abandoned him for the time being.

The Song of the High Ice, who had retreated further down the path when the fighting had begun, warily approached again. Shear was clearly embarassed that they had abandoned the others, having watched other Samanayrs without horns or talons attack the creature, but he managed to look the riding Samanayr in the face.

"That bird, is it tame?"

The stallion laughed. "'Tame?' No, she is my partner." The gold and brown dragonet chattered shrilly at the Northern, as if lecturing him

Shear looked nonplussed at his response. "But, she won't attack us? Our hotspring is safe?"

"She would no more attack another Samanayr than I would," the stallion said. "I saw you and your mares fleeing earlier today as we flew overhead, and I apologize if we gave you cause for alarm."

"The foals!" one of the mares said, shouldering past Shear and weaving her way through the Samanayr group to continue up the path. The other mares followed. Shear hesitated, as if he had something more to say to the stallion, but then shook his head and followed them.

The falcon reappeared suddenly, coming to land on the path a safe distance from the group. She dropped something from her talons as she landed - the creature's round, armored ears and a collection of claws fell to the ground. Glint stared at these grisly trophies uncomprehendingly while the rider stallion nodded in approval.

"Quite right, that head is too big to carry. These should still allow us to collect the bounty." The dragonet darted forward, grabbing one of the ears in its nimble foretalons and carrying it around the back of the falcon towards the pack that was strapped there, near its tail.

((@Takaeji - That's how I was picturing it too XD

@Janalee - I think she's a fun character too, and I hope we'll see her mean little self around more as well XD Heck, one of my Samanayrs is a reformed cannibal, and he's not exactly sunshine and roses.. but I'm certainly not a reformed cannibal either, and I'd like to think I'm sometimes sunshine and roses. It can be easy to get caught up in the RP and forget that a character's opinions aren't that of their player, and we all just need to make sure we remember that. I don't want the nasty characters to go away!

@Puuka - Oh my XD That may not be as cold as up here as been, but it's still really cold when it's not weather you usually experience and you're not prepared for it!))
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
AsaraDragon
Nemesis
Favorite Sam species: Elementals

Post by AsaraDragon »

Reflection did her best to hold steady as Glint leaned against her. She had no idea what sort of injuries he had sustained, and didn't want to hurt him further. She watched him carefully, and was glad when relief became apparent on his face. The Healer must have worked her magics on him. It was so lucky that one had come to their aid!

With Glint's immediate needs taken care of, she was able to take stock of the battle again. Not long after, the creature toppled over the side of the cliff, dead at last. It was all she could do not to collapse herself, now that the threat had been taken care of.

As the new Samanayr spoke, she was puzzled at the businesslike, matter-of-fact way he reacted to the end of the battle. This was a major event to her, how could he be so nonchalant? Her curiosity got the better of her, and she spoke up.

"You speak as though you see this sort of thing every day. Pardon me for asking, but who are you, and what is this creature that we have killed to you? I have never seen a Samanayr with a... partner such as yours. Where do you come from?"

(( A bounty hunter! I love it!! :D ))
ImageImageImageImage <3 <3
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Misery watched with satisfaction as his lightning hit home, apparently blinding the creature. The others had attacked as well, and in no time at all, it seemed, the beat was gone, knocked over the edge by the bird. Glancing above him at the clouds still swirling there, he released his hold over them, and they dispersed. Suddenly overcome with weariness, he flew back to the ground and landed a short distance away from where Glint and the stallion were standing.

Nodding to Glint, he spoke, "Well, that was some nice excitement. Do let me know if we ever do that again." And with that, he collapsed, exhausted by his use of magic, and keeping the storm from hurting anyone but the beast.

((*pats Misery, and sends him off to bed* Poor dear! XD Reason I had him collapse was 'cause of something Sushi said, about how controlling the lightning would probably take a lot out of him XD ))
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

A sudden uncomfortable heat to one side of his face, as though he had just leaned it against a rock that had just been baking all day in the desert heat, made Gyre open one eye. What he saw made both eyes snap wide open, but before he could react in any way to the flame blazing on the wing along side him, it curled into whisps of smoke and drift lazily away. Through this, his teeth remained locked on the wing, more out of shock than any concious choice to cling on to a wing too high in the air for him to keep his toes on the ground.

Dangling from the wing as he was, it wasn't possible for Gyre to look around to find whoever was calling his name. The sounds of battle going on around him made it impossible to recognize the voice. Before he could even consider how to get down, or if it would be better to stay here, the beast began to scream even more than it had been, the tone changing to one of pain. The creature's reaction to the flame jerked its wing enough to tear the membrane where Gyre's teeth had already weakened it, flinging Gyre away from the retreating monster and tossing him relatively lightly into the cliff wall.

Relatively lightly meaning that he wasn't dashed to death against the stones, merely stunned and battered and likely to have bruises all over his side for the next fair while. In a daze he watched as the monster staggered over the edge as the giant bird made a stooping strike. Gyre blinked once or twice and made an attempt to stagger back to his feet. After three tries he conceeded that perhaps it was best to lay down for now. The conversation with the strange bird riding stallion washed over his head; none of it making much sense to him. His head was ringing, both from the near constant roars and from being smacked into the wall. After a few minutes he came to enough to make a face and spit out the leathery chunk of wing membrane he had still been holding clenched in his teeth. "We'yre safe then?" That was about all he could get out of what was going on now. "Think I'll...take...a nap..." His eyes began to flutter closed as he uncomprehendingly watched Gem try to approach. There was something he needed to do...but he couldn't think of what it was just now...

((Hmm...Gyre probably shouldn't go to sleep...but that's what he wants to do. *pokes him* Hopefully he's not concussed too badly.))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Ferocity could see that the combined attacks of their group were working as the beast as it bellowed in pain and slowing lumbered up the path away from the rest of the samanayrs. Flying low she continued diving at the beasts belly, trying to time her impact with the blue mares kicks and efforts of those on the ground. Blood oozed out between puncture scales where the sa'krins horns had pierced the softer skin and she could see shallower cuts where samanayr hooves had sliced between creamy scales. The Miseries lightning flashed and roared above her, a blast of white hot heat that charging the air and left her skin prickling and fur standing on end. As flame ignited one wing she knew they had gained the upper hand and pulled back looking for a new angle of attack that would drive the creature further back until it died. And with two eyes charred eyes and burned flesh she hoped that the beast would at least have the luxury of a quick death.

When that death did come it was not in the manner she expected. A tawny bullet barreled into the dragons chest, forcing it the last few feet to the edge of the cliff and then over the side. For a moment she saw panic on the beasts face as it desperately clawed at the air and its ruined wings fought franticly to hold its weight before it tumbled out of sight, a last desperate roar following it down. She stayed in the air until she heard the dull thud of impact and the mysterious stallions confirmation that the beast was truly dead. Landing at the edge of path she watched as the falcon swooped past toward the broken form below murmuring a quick apology and blessing to the beast spirit as her aunt had always instructed her too, "You fought bravely, your life and death will be remembered by those here as your spirit finds its way towards sleep."

She hoped that it would the peace in death it had lacked in life. Turning back towards her group she hurried over to see if Glint was ok. He appeared winded but beyond that relatively unscathed, something she suspected they could thank the Healer for later. As the Northern song approached she backed off, reproach clear on her face as they addressed the samanayr stallion who had helped them. They had not come to help in the fight and had been downright rude to the stallion that had saved Glint and come to their aid, they hadn't offered so much as a thanks before rushing off. Still the stallion didn't seem to mind and so she decided to let the matter rest and make up for their lack of manners.

"Thank you for your help," she said with a friendly smile as the Northern mares left, "We might not have been able to save Glint and defeated that beast so quick if not for you and your bird. I am Ferocity of Flowing Lava, do you and your partners have name?" she asked, recalling how the stallion had addressed the beautiful bird earlier.

"Bounty?" she asked, mildly confused. She had never heard of anyone offering payment for such a thing as taking another creature life, even if it had been necessary- where had this strange stallion come from.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Chilling helped to keep the monsters attention long enough for the group to push it back, her wings were tired and she was completely out of breath. She left the dragons face as the large bird flew in; she landed with the group and watched the spectacle, cheering when the monster fell off the cliff.

“Hurray! We did it! Great job everyone!” she called out as she lay down on the ground, her toes still shaking from the experience. Finally… she got to put her skill to the test, she had been waiting for a chance to show her flying abilities and now she did. She felt proud of her work and noticed blood dripping on her leg.

“Oh no…” She said as she realized the back of her head was bleeding. She couldn’t take blood that well… she fainted.
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Janalee »

Calamity watched with a certain smug satisfaction as the group converged on the creature, finally causing it to topple over the cliff's edge. It was almost a shame they weren't on level ground, so she could see what the beast could really do; still, a battle was a battle, and she'd gotten to see some of the cruelty all these Samanayrs seemed to share with her anyway- it would do. She lifted her head, trying to see as much of the fall as she could from her position; she figured it might be the last really interesting thing that would happen with this mission, and she intended to enjoy it as long as she could.
      As the creature disappeared from sight, the mare relaxed and looked vaguely at the horizon, once again hardly paying attention to the conversation around her as she imagined her next meeting with her mother- ooh, but it would be a fun one. Already eager for it, she considered simply leaving without actually seeing the true conclusion of the trip; she could guess how it would go with the foals anyway, and it really wasn't very entertaining. The soaring falcon, with yet another load of strange cargo, stopped her once again though; what was it this time- claws and armor? She couldn't help but wonder how fantastically grisly a job that must have been, when the stallion's words finally caught her attention. Bounty? Calamity couldn't stop herself from laughing just a touch wildly as she looked directly at him, more than a little impressed and amused; he had played the group, so very, very well, just to get them to do his dirty work for him. She was almost starting to like him, poor thing.

((@ Puuka: *laughs* Oh, I can certainly understand wanting to throttle a nasty character or two once you really get into a storyline. ^^ Once people start being actually offended instead of just vexed or heatedly amused though, it just stops being fun for me; I figured I could cut out some of her internal monologue for that, since it wasn't strictly necessary anyway. Her response was really still the same...it just seems a little odd that I'm the only one who knows what she's thinking for a bit there, the mean little thing. *crooked grin* I'm glad you think I've played her well enough though!

@ Sushi: *chuckles* I'm glad to hear you're not a reformed cannibal, and I'm going to hope for not 'unreformed' as well... XP But yeah, sometimes it can be a fine line between what a character is like, and what someone might think the roleplayer is like based off of it...I'm really hoping most people don't think of me as a Balefire Elemental anyway though. ^_^
And I don't roleplay much, but it wouldn't surprise me if Calamity came out again sometime or other; I love all my Sams, but there's something about her that amuses me the most. I'm glad you've enjoyed her too!
Mm...and it seems my curiosity won't leave me alone. Can I ask which Sam is the reformed cannibal? *grins* That just sounds like a great story to me.))
Esperanza
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Esperanza »

Gem watched as the creature fell down the cliff. She stood there, contemplating what had just happened. She pondered looking over the cliff to see the dead beast, but she could not bring herself to do it. She suddenly remembered Gyre and looked around for him, she saw him, collapsed on the ground and ran over quickly. "Gyre?" She asked, her voice filled with worry, nudging him gently, wondering how badly he was hurt. Not until she had looked down did she noticed her scrapped knees. They were both bleeding slightly, which dripped down her legs and onto the ground. Her knees shook slightly from exhaustion but she still stayed standing. She once again looked at Gyre and frowned, nuzzling his cheek gently in an attempt to wake him. "Gyre..." She murmured softly.
Pathos
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Pathos »

Tyger sank to the ground wearily, as the creature fell to it's demise. His heart was pounding in his ears and his breathing was staggered with overexertion. Shaking himself, he attempted to clean the bits of flesh and blood out of his mane before seeking out Reflection.

She was leaning against Glint, while a healer tended to his wounds. Tyger wearily walked towards them, welcoming Reflection with a warm nuzzle and eyeing Glint suspiciously. He was too exhausted to say anything, that fight had taken a lot out of him...
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Any bravery that had spurred her on, any sense of accomplishment that had come from removing the wooden splinter, evaporated instantly into despair when it made no visible impression on the creatures anger and agitation. She would have been more than happy to sit and wallow in her despair, had it not been for the fact that, at that very moment, the attacking Samanayrs rallied their consecutive efforts and drove the dragon back towards her. Frozen in fear, she couldn't move despite the creatures heavy clawed feet pounding heart-stoppingly close to her head, and the relief that flooded her after it had passed over her without causing her harm freed her limbs and let her shakily regain her feet.

But it could not prepare her for the desperation in the creatures last, pitiful roar as the giant feather-bullet struck it in the centre of the chest and it fell out of sight over the edge of the cliff. Her entire body trembled in horror, and she tried to block out the subdued thud as the poor beast struck the ground below. She was unseccessful, and the horrible sound forced a choking sob from her shaking body.

Ashamed of herself, she broke into a shaky bolt and rounded the curve in the path until she was far enough ahead as to be hidden from the group. Once she was sure no-one could see her, she collapsed against the cliff wall and cried. Cried for those that had been injured, cried for the loss of such a magnificent creature, just... Cried her heart out in the relative silence the followed the dragons death.

((Yes. Odyssey is an over-emotional treehugger. >.>;; Eheh.))
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Takaeji
Lamanayr
Lamanayr

Post by Takaeji »

Bursting through the wing as he had hoped, Gust positioned himself into a more comfortable flight position as he sped past the fight. Though he swiftly spread his wings fully again, regaining his complete composure back before swerving around to try and decide where to strike next. But he saw the job that all the other Samanayrs were doing, and held his breath as he saw the large bird following his pattern and swooping at the beast.

Roughly coming to a stop with his foward advancement as he watched this happen, he hovered there in the air where he was as he simply listened to the cries of pain the beast was obviously giving off. And the creature then slid from the edge, falling with unsuccessful attempts to stop himself with those injured wings of his. And as it disappeared from his sight and he heard that muffled thud, he could only shudder.

Both hair and feathers about his body stood on end with the uneasiness of this, but he could only do one thing now. Gliding his way back to the rocky ledge, his feet hit the safe earth below just moments later. Gust gave one last glance down toward where the beast disappeared just then, only able to wonder if it could have possibly ended differently with the way the odd creature spoke their tongue. But he shrugged this off, folding his wings comfortably against his back. Most of the Samanayrs raced over to the newcomer and toward Glint, while others strayed off differently and a few even collapsed from the stress, both mental and phsyical, that their bodies had just endured. He knew he was lucky to have come out of that with nothing more then a slightly sore wing from his high speed impact, but it was nothing to hinder him. All that was left was really left to remind him of it was the chilling cries of the beast still ringing in his ears.

Shaking his head once to try and attempt to make his fur lie flat again, his eyes were quickly snapped over to the group, having been half listening to their conversations. The foals, right! That's why they had been here, to save the foals from this large bird... which happened to be friendly, it seemed. So they ran into that beast for nothing. But in the end, the death of it would protect more Samanayr's, right? The Northerns making their way past him now, he could only tilt his head slightly at the next words from the newcomer's mouth.

A bounty? That thing had a bounty on its head, and they hunted it, or had he understood that wrong? He was definitely interested now, allowing himself to concentrate more on the group then he had been before. But he still glanced around, spotting a Samanayr beginning to lull off to sleep. Just barely recalling the impact he saw him take not but a handful of moments before, he quickly made his way over to him. A hairless mare getting there just before him, he watched interestedly for a moment before leaning in and snorting loudly in Gyre's ear to help her out in a bit more abrupt manner.

"I know you ache, but you can't sleep now," He said, his knowledge about anything healing ending just about there. He knew that if you hit your head too hard, you probably shouldn't sleep, no matter how much you wanted to. Plus the fact that it was winter and he was laying on a giant, chilly rock didn't help in the least. He'd freeze out here if night fell coldly, that much was apparent with his bright, desert-like build. But he hadn't ignored the care in the mare's voice as he watched her moments before, and he leaned down more to nudge at the stallion's neck. "Your lady friend needs you right now, Gyre, so get up," he tried to coax the stallion, hoping this effort wasn't useless with the others he knew could probably use some help right then as well.

( Make my long posts go awaaay... ;; )
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image