Attack of the pixels!

Share your artistic endeavors here!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Attack of the pixels!

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Ok, so every now and then I just get in the mood to play with pixel art. It's been awhile, but I've been in one of those moods recently, starting with finding some little pony bases to color on PI (the artist of those doesn't want their work leaving PI, so I won't be sharing my coloring jobs on those here). And so, because I like sharing the joy of pixel art around, I'm going to post some of my pixels, both new and old, here for your viewing pleasure.

So far I've only done one of my PI ponies, though I have another in progress. But I love this little purr, so he got to be the first pixel I tackled. He's supposed to be winking, but he's a bit small to see that much detail...

Then I moved on to one of my Sams. And sort of determined that some things are just a leetle too busy to effectively pixel at 50x50. Ah well, here's Triumph anyways. She wants you to read! She also tends to blend into herself...

Moving back into the past...I can't remember if I ever posted this darling little Cresting I did for Harroway last year.

And while I know I posted Sushi's Glint, I don't want to leave the little kirin out either!

And going back even further... This has absolutely nothing to do with Sams or PI, but it remains the pixel art piece that I am proudest of, despite being almost two years old. It's a to scale representation of my dragon RP characters from another site. Each character was actually pixeled separately, then compiled into a single image later.

As you may have gathered...I like pixeling small. It's more fun that way. Keep an eye on this thread for more little critters appearing! I'm likely to randomly keep attacking ponies and Sams. Possibly even in larger sizes like Glint and Cresting, but also perhaps in the tiny little 50x50 size.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Attack of the pixels!

Post by silvermoondragon »

Very cool! I agree that that last one with all your characters is definitely the best, so detailed, probably took the most time too XD The purr is very pretty too, especially the tail *reaches out to pet* Doing tiny things is so much more rewarding when you finally zoom out and see that the little square blobs have actually resolved into something recognizable!

I enjoy pixel stuff too sometimes, I did the Halloween hairclips for Sushi:
ImageImageImage
I think I really surprised myself with those, especially the ghost one, I think it's my best work!

I've also done a bunch of items and pixels for my own adoptable.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Oh yes. I don't really want to think about how many hours went into all those dragons. The three little ones weren't so bad, but the largest two? But I still had fun with it, and enjoyed it enough to go from that to making half a dozen or more random gift pixel images of other people's RP characters. Though none so big as those two; more along the size of the green fellow.

Heh, I sort of deny myself the reward of zooming out to see it all come together. I pixel in Paint and have it set to show a thumbnail of the actual size image. It helps me get things looking right. Because what looks like a horrible mess zoomed in (you should see some of the shading I've done for hair) can look wonderful when you zoom back out! Though I was lazy and didn't shade most of the images I posted here... The purr and the dragons are shaded. Glint scared me to shade with all that rainbow. Triumph was too busy already. And I can't remember why Cresting isn't shaded...

I've never done much in the way of items, just critters. I actually like the bat best. But I may be a bit partial to bats... *eyes Chirp*

Edit: I finished the merdragon I was working on during lunch today.
All I'm going to say is that black is a pain to shade.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Yeah, double post; I probably should have just waited a few days to post and finished the pixels I was working on. :?

Anyways...

Aren't they so sweet! I think I stretched poor Searing's neck a bit long, but he'll live. My darling little lovebirds wanted to be shown together, and for some reason it's easier to do poses like this in pixel form than to draw them on paper for me. I didn't realize quite how very similar their colors really were until I pulled them off the images and started trying to color these guys...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

Aww, pixel Searing and Hiss are so cute together! You've done a great job with the shading.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

WOW! Very nice! ^_^ Im a pixel gal myself. I LOVE paint. lol

I got a few but Ill have to dig them up. None are sam base... *Plots one*

Thank you... you have given me inspiration ;) *hugs*
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Awww, these guys are adorable! I envy your pixel-patience :D

Searing and Hiss together are just precious! I just realized that they do have very similar colors too, Hiss's stripes are basically an inversion of Searing's and his base color's just a bit darker.
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Ooo...I seem to have never replied here... Bad Ori. Thank you guys!

I do love Hiss and Searing as a couple. They were fun to draw!

Yes, Paint is the best program for pixel art as far as I'm concerned! I've not played around with too many other programs, true, but the fancier programs I have played with just seem to have trouble with the whole idea of pixels. No semi-transparency needed, just one pixel of a solid color. Paint is the best for that! Fancy programs are good for making backgrounds transparent though. *nods*

And I envy your colored pencil patience Sushi! Yeah, these two really are similar in colors. Before I shaded they were blending into each other even more than they are now. And it's hard to tell that Searing's wing is draped over Hiss' back because it's right on her widest stripe and sort of blends in.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

And so, a week after I thought I'd be done with the prize for my little game (stupid cold...) I finally present to you, Asara's choice of Sam to be pixelized!

I was in the mood to shade when I did him...and fluff is actually pretty fun to shade because it's such random placement of pixels. So, here you are Asara! Sorry he took so long.

Now to ponder new possible games...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
AsaraDragon
Nemesis
Favorite Sam species: Elementals

Post by AsaraDragon »

Yay!!! :D

Thank you so much Ori, he looks ~awesome~

Leaf approves!

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage <3 <3
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

You're quite welcome! I'm glad you like him!

Aww...doesn't he look so cute there beside himself!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Itty bitty Sam is itty bitty...

Lv's Mist of the Mysterious Forest, her runner up prize in my last pixel giveaway game. *eyes the challenge that now awaits next in line*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tobyana
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Tobyana »

Aw! Look at all the adorable pixel art! *is jealous* I can't do pixel art for the life of me. And when I do, I cheat and use Photoshop ;p
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

*picks thread up and dusts it off again* Well, after the speed art event recently I picked pixeling up again after a long break from it. Also discovered that my wrists no longer like shading... And since this board doesn't move so fast and my old pixel thread is still on the first page...going to reuse it for my recent pixels.

So...starting with the pixel that set me off on these again...
Romantic walk prompt. Sams and romance for me tends to swing right around to these two. They're probably my favorite pair out of all my Sams, and what more romantic than a sunset stroll with the one you love in your favorite place? Even if said place is the rolling dunes of the desert. I think this is my first attempt at doing any sort of pixel background. It's sort of surprising how scribbling colors around can actually make a pretty decent sunset.

This one...is way, way overdue to be finished. Coming up on two years since I started...
I'm not even sure if Eirnae is still around; I know she hasn't logged on in a long time. But I finally got myself to do the final bits needed to finish this mare off. Strange thing is...I got the wings done long ago...and then got stumped on getting the hair right. Not as detailed shading as some of my other stuff. The wings have too many little details that I fear would get lost if I did, especially as dark as they already are. And also...the whole wrist hurting more now thing...

And lastly for now...
They grow so fast... Little growing filly... I may go back and add some shading on her eventually, but for now she's just hanging out in a field being delighted with a feather. I'm approaching the point where I'm thinking about growing her to a yearling and decided to pixel her up. I...have no idea what type her wyvern wings are...so I just put in something that could be draconic or feathered. She probably looks a bit more like she's already a yearling here...she wound up a bit lean for a foal. But she's happy! And that grass is a ridiculous mess of slanty, scribbly lines...

Also...if you look at that dragon pixel up on the first post you may notice a resemblance between two of the dragons and two of my Sams. The two white/cream based ones have been Samified! And one day I hope to bring over the teeny pale green and pink one...but that pixel doesn't really do much to show how she might look...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

I loved your sweet pair pixel drawing, and I love Eirnae's beautiful Mystic... <3

And your little filly is so cute! :D
Signature under construction!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Sooo...something that I'd started...ages ago. As in two years back. And just remembered about and finished up on lunch break today...

Just randomly felt like doing Rend once, got most of the way done, then never finished the shading. Now he's all finished! *scurries back to work*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

OMG!! You did my boy!! Eeeee!! Thank you so much Origami!! *hugs the pixel art*
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Yes I did! Though I'd almost forgotten about him...now I don't even remember why I was looking in the folder I rediscovered him in. Had to finish the little menace once I found him though. I'd pat Rend...but I fear for my hand. *pats Wrath instead as she makes happy meeps and wiggles her tail at her daddy's image*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image