If you were new to Samanayrs..

Your place to discuss very serious Samanayr-related issues. Because Samanayrs are always serious. Always.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

If you were new to Samanayrs..

Post by Sushidragon »

..what information would you have wanted?

I'm putting together a little booklet with basic Samanayr information to give away with the cards at conventions (or even just on their own) :D They're little 8-page booklets made from a single piece of paper, they're pretty nifty! I'm still working on the content right now, but here's the basic sections:

1 - Title page
2 - Introduction/basics
3 - Forum and site
4 - Adoption process
5 - Items
6 - Breeding
7 - Pets
8 - Other events (races, expeditions, job fairs, monthly draw)

I'll post the text for each of these sections when I'm done editing, but is there anything else I'm missing? I, uh, know a couple of things about Samanayrs so I'm not sure what's confusing/unclear/intimidating to newbies XD;
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
ElvenArcher
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: All of them

Re: If you were new to Samanayrs..

Post by ElvenArcher »

Awesome idea! :D

Hmmm... I know the naming rule was a little confusing for me at first and the Songs but other than that I don't know what info would be good for newbies. :D
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pets
ImageImageImageImage
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: northern tribal

Post by Jaes »

Ooh, can't wait to see this when its done!
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Post by Codress »

Maybe how the uncommon, rare, very rare and so on how that goes and why they are why they are. just a suggestion. ^_^

Sounds neat. Can't wait to see!!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Did a test print of the first draft to see if it would even work, and it did! Still need to give it another read-through and edit and add images, not to mention fold it better, but here's a tiny Samanayrs book XD

Image Image

ElvenArcher
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: All of them

Post by ElvenArcher »

:D. Awesome!
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pets
ImageImageImageImage
Janalee
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Healer

Post by Janalee »

Looking good! And you're definitely better at folding those than I am. XD Hopefully they'll help bring some new people in!
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Post by Codress »

noiceee ^_^
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

One thing which I think is really unique and special to the Sams adoptable is how community based it is. Its not just Sushi handing down the Gospel of Sam there's lore and traits and even species
that are community developed. There are guest artists and event runners and Sushi is always looking for and paying attention to feedback.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Oh yeah, and here's the text from the booklet! And thanks for the suggestions as well :D I do think it'd be nice to have info on the guest artists and such but I'm not sure where it could go.. the 'intro' and 'site' pages are as full as I can get them and have them still be legible XD;

(sorry for the wonky formatting too, it looks better in the actual book, I just copy-pasted the text right from the Word file)

Introduction

Samanayrs (SAH-man-airs) are what's known as a virtual pet, or adoptable. They're part roleplaying game, part collectable, and part cute original art, not to mention a lot of fun!

Each one has unique art and is hand-colored, and with almost 200 traits and more than 20 species there's a lot of variety to be had! All Samanayrs are one-of-a-kind individuals and come with a name and ID number and more than 2000 individuals have been created.

When you adopt a Samanayr it becomes your virtual pet, or character, and you can use it to enter events and interact with other peoples' Samanayrs through the forum.

So, how do you adopt? Events are held regularly on the forum for chances to win free Samanayrs. Customs and Samanayr cards are also occasionally available for sale at conventions and online.

You're welcome to be as involved in the community as you'd like, and there's no minimum activity requirement. Your Samanayrs will always be yours, even if you take some time away!

Adoption PROCESS

How does the adoption process work? It's pretty easy!

Step 1 - Enter events, draws, and contests until you win your very first Samanayr! Events range from random draws where you just have to post to enter to more complex events that could require writing, drawing, or even cooking.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Samanayr card at a convention!

Step 2 - I'll update the Samanayr's cert* with your name. That's it! The Samanayr is now yours to play with.

In a week or two the Samanayr will be added to the database, which will then show you your Samanayr's traits in addition to the information shown on its cert.

* the cert is the text that appears on a Samanayr's image that gives its name, ID, species, gender, owner, and parentage (if required)
ITEMS

There's two main types of items - equippable and consumable.

Equippable items are items that can be worn by your Samanayr. They may have an effect, or just look nifty! When you equip an item to a Samanayr I actually draw it and add it to your Samanayr's image.

There's a number of consumable items (also known as one-use items) which can be used for things such as trading for different types of items or influencing the features of a foal from a breeding.

Items are added to your database account. While logged in on the site you can go to Members - My Stuff to see your inventory. You can also go to Database - Inventory to see everyone's items!

For more information on the different types of items, please go to the Expeditions page on the site.

BREEDING

Breeding is a big part of Samanayrs, and also a lot of fun! You can breed two Samanayrs together to create a foal whose traits, colors, and patterns reflect that of its parents.

To breed, the parents must be in the same Song, or breeding group. If you don't have any Samanayrs or don't have any in a Song, you can also find open Songs that don't require permission from the owners to apply with.

Each breeding generally has a 30% chance of success. Foals inherit their traits and colorations from their parents, but items can also be used to do everything from determine the foal's gender to changing its species. There's also a small chance for twins, or even triplets!

Full breeding seasons, where many breeding slots are available, happen once or twice a year. Sometimes the monthly draw is for breedings, and they can also be purchased as customs.

For lots more information on breeding and Songs, please go to the Breeding page on the site.

PETS

Samanayrs are able to adopt pets of their own! There's a wide variety of pets, from small intelligent dragons to large protective canines. Pets are available as prizes in events and can also occasionally breed to produce new pets.

When you win a pet, it's added to your database account. You can choose to equip it to a Samanayr and name it, but neither is required.

When a Samanayr adopts a pet, the pet's image appears with the Samanayr on the Samanayr's cert and is equipped to the Samanayr in the database.

OTHER EVENTS

Here's some of the other events and activities that take place on the forum!

Races
Races occur regularly on the forum. You can enter a Samanayr (or borrow one from another owner) in the race and watch as they compete for prizes and glory!

Expeditions
Samanayrs can go on Expeditions to find tradeable items. Expeditions are either random events or RP-based.

Job Fair
If you have enough tradeable items and the Job Fair is open, you can get a job for one of your Samanayrs! Samanayrs with jobs receive a set of accessories for their uniform and special abilities, depending on the job.

Monthly Draw
I try to hold a free draw every month. The draw can be for customs, semi-customs, breedings, or more!

Samanayr forum and site

Samanayr activity centers around the forum and website. The forum is where the action happens, from events and contests to breedings and races. Registration is required to participate in events for chances to win Samanayrs, but it just takes a minute!
samanayrs.com/forum

The website contains a lot of Samanayr information and also the owner database. When you register for a database account you'll be able to manage your Samanayrs and Songs and view your inventory. Registration isn't a requirement to adopt, but if you'd like to create a Song you will need a database account.

To register for an account, just go to:

samanayrs.com/register.php

We also have accounts on Tumblr, Facebook, and Twitter which you can follow to get event notifications!

samanayrs.tumblr.com
facebook.com/samanayrs
twitter.com/samanayrs
Image Image