Death of Geocities -- Sam Connection

Your place to discuss very serious Samanayr-related issues. Because Samanayrs are always serious. Always.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Death of Geocities -- Sam Connection

Post by Jennalyn »

Heya guys,

As some of you may or may not know, Geocities will be closing its doors sometime this year and deleting all pages currently hosted on it. There are a lot of Sams out there with pages on Geocities, which is why I'm putting out the warning now in case someone hasn't heard. I encourage you to tell all of your cyberpetting contacts so that they can save their information.

Perhaps more seriously is the issue of inactive Sams on Geocities pages. Their owners won't be moving them. Songs may be seriously disrupted by the disappearance of these pages. I strongly urge all members who host or own Songs to save each member's image, either on photobucket or your own server, for display on your Song page. Include their information on your Song page so that you'll have it, even if the worst should happen. I've done this for all of my songs just in case and it's saved me a few missing images and bits of information so that the Songs can continue to function at full strength.

I'd also like to throw an idea out there to Skysong. In my spare time, I am happy to troll through pages and collect Sam information, save images, and make sure that everything matches up. I'd also be happy to make thumbnails out of their images. (And to anyone I haven't made a thumbnail for yet, I will. Promise. <3 Just had to get done with this past semester. Graduating on Sunday.)

Questions, comments, suggestions, input?

Commands or wishes, oh great and mighty Skysong? xD
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Re: Death of Geocities -- Sam Connection

Post by silvermoondragon »

I could help with collecting information too, I love going through all the song pages and looking at all the old sams.

Maybe the displaced samanayrs can find a home on the forum? A homeless Samanayr shelter until their owners come to pick them up. I would volunteer with that.

And congratulations on graduating Jennalyn, hopefully you can find a great job!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Oh holy moly, I hadn't even thought about the Samanayr pages disappearing in the death of Geocities XD

Ideally what I'd like to do is tag each Samanayr image like the most recent Sams (eg the image itself has all of the Samanayr's information except their Song), and at the same time give them all ID numbers, which is a project I really need to get working on XD; However, for the time being, just having the images and their info would be a good start. Eventually all of this info will be available in the adopted list, so technically they won't need pages.

I know that some Samanayr owners aren't into adoptables anymore, and there's one or two who are even deceased. Someone could create Song posts on the forum for inactive Geocities Songs, like the forum-hosted Songs already there.

If you guys wanted to go through and get all of this info from the Geocities pages, I could upload the most recent adopted pages and you could go to it XD Thank you very much for the offers of help!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

okey dokey! any specific way we should go about doing this? or would collecting information in a word document and emailing it be good?
Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Post by Harroway »

I'll start hunting for info as well!
Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

Does anyone want to make the inactive song page? I've got Geocities Sams saved for Lady Crow, Nacho, Unkyo and Pega. <3
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

well, do we want to make one giant inactive song page? or separate pages for each of the songs? And what about the inactive samanayrs? I've found a few who hadn't had a listed song, should they get a page?

I have, so far, found some Geocities sams that belong to(I think these are the usernames): AmethystCat, Lady Starbreeze, Okidme, Winged Wolfine, and an Unykous who might be the same as Unkyo maybe? I was scraping together the usernames from either what was said on the page or the webpage address.
Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

I think Unkyo is Unykous, but I'm not sure.

I personally think that inactive Sams with no song should get their own page. Not sure about each individual song! Maybe we could make a masterlist that links to the individual songs that we'll put up on the forums?
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Okay, here's the old adopted lists:

http://sushi-dragon.com/sotr/fstallions.html
http://sushi-dragon.com/sotr/fmares.html
http://sushi-dragon.com/sotr/fsongs.html

Samanayrs

For each Sam, I need:

- Name

Eventually my goal is to assign each old Samanayr an ID number and get them in the updated adopted list. Because Samanayrs now have 'tags' that include all of their information, they technically don't need to be hosted on a page.

There's a post here for inactive Sams:

http://sushi-dragon.com/sotr/forum/view ... ?f=4&t=166

If you just post URLs where Samanayrs are located, I can go through and collect info and images :D

Inactive Songs

I've created a Song forum specifically for inactive Geocities Songs:

http://sushi-dragon.com/sotr/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

If you come across a Song on Geocities that's not registered as an official Song, please make a post for it in this forum. As with other forum-hosted Songs, the required info is:

- Song Name
- Stallion Name
- Stallion link (or image, if he's a tagged Samanayr)
- The names and links (or images) of all mares
- A list of offspring the Song has produced
- Song status (open, closed, semi-open)

This way, we'll still have records for these Songs, and if the Song owner comes back one day and wants to start up their Song again, all the info will be there for them!

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Oh, and Unykous is Unyko XD
Image Image

Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

Oops! Sushi, could you move my post into the correct forum? I think I was editting it when you made the new topic and didn't see it. >_>
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I moved it over to this forum XD

Actually, all you really need to post for Samanayrs is the URL they're located at. I can go through and collect all of the info, including images.
Image Image

Harroway
Painter

Post by Harroway »

Oh! Well that makes it easy! I'll go gather those. :D
SunBlind
Mystic
Mystic

Post by SunBlind »

Wow, this is a big project! Sorry I don't have the time to help out. Maybe towards the end, if you find certain adopters whose Sam links don't work I could see if I know where their new sites may be. I did something similar for Lex's Crystal Unicorns so may know where people moved their sites to ^_^ Sometimes people kept up old sites simply because they forgot their passwords and couldn't log in to delete the old pages, but they could still be "active" elsewhere with valid new pages.

BTW, is there a current parent's list being maintained? Need to know where to send the links of my newest lovelies xD
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

I don't think there's a current "Parents' List" since I'm working on a database right now for mostly that purpose. Soon. >:3 Heee.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Let me know if you still need help with this, I think I'm done with the songs *eyes current spreadsheet*
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Thanks for the offer :D I finished grabbing all of the info from all of the Geocities Sams listed in this thread, and now it's just a matter of me getting their info into the database!
Image Image