Desert Nights [Open to all]

Engage in some good ol' freeform RP.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Desert Nights [Open to all]

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((I'm a bit rusty at starting RPs...but I want to play these two and they won't easily fit into the existing RPs. So forgive the clumsy start please. Anyone is welcome to join in, though Northerns are likely to be quite uncomfortable out in the desert.))

Image Image

Night was falling, the high stone outcroppings surrounding the litte canyon already casting it into shadow. As the shadows slipped over her dozing spot Hiss slowly blinked and yawned, waking to the sound of Searing stretching himself out for his evening run. Stretching slightly herself Hiss raised her head slightly, watching the desert stallion through half opened eyes. She still wasn't quite certain why he chose to return to this spot ever day, and yet...

Seeing that she was awake Searing frisked over, stopping a few body lengths away, a rather boyish grin on his face. "Good evening deayr lady. Will you yrun with me this evening peyrhaps?" It was the same question he had asked in one form or another nearly every night this past moon, ever since the night when he had stumbled upon her here in this canyon. As always Hiss hesitated, drawing back. As always Searing merely bowed his head slightly. "Anotheyr night peyrhaps then. I shall yretuyrn deayr lady. Will you be heyre still?"

He didn't wait for a responce, he never did. Just as well since Hiss had no idea what she would say to him. Following him slowly to the mouth of the canyon Hiss stood and watched as the desert stallion raised his head to scent the desert night air, then reared theatrically before galloping off over the shifting stones, headed for the smooth sands he so loved.

About to turn back for some grazing Hiss paused, head suddenly held unchararistically high as she sniffed the air. Had she caught a whiff of another out there tonight? Shivering, the little mare slid closer to the canyon wall, eyes nervously darting across the rocky field, before darting back to relative saftey inside the canyon. Why would someone be here? Almost no one ventured this deep into the desert and over the hazardous footing of the stones? Surely she was just imagining things. She was safe here.

Meanwhile Searing was running with purpose over the windblown sands. His goal? The nearest edge of the desert, a place he had only visited once before. But if his memory served him well there was something to be found there that he dearly wanted to bring back with him. He only hoped that it was still there.

((Feel free to approach either the canyon or the galloping Searing, either while he's still in the desert or seeing him reach the greener lands around the desert.))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Re: Desert Nights [Open to all]

Post by Jennalyn »

((I hope you don't mind a little conflict, because my nasty little Desert-monster has come to play. <3 If you do, just let me know and I'll delete the post.))

That Mystic wandering into his territory had aggravated Spike into a restive state of mind. He still wasn't sure if letting her live had been a good decision, and doubting his own choices doubly irritated him. She had been such a confused and drifty little thing, though, he doubted she could lead anyone back to his home even if she'd wanted to. Which she probably wouldn't. Heh.

It had been several years since he'd left the self-imposed confines of his lands. He'd discussed the possibility of travel with his mare over a shared meal of snake. If he left, she would need to be more vigilant in their area's defense. If he stayed, his exceptionally snappish and unpleasant mood would probably continue unabated. They had eventually agreed on travel, after quite a few unpleasant days.

Now he traveled during the sane times of day, his long familiarity with the desert and his body's suitability for the climate working together for a mostly uneventful trek. Something in him wanted to visit his birthplace, the lands of his parents, to see if the pair remained alive. They would probably do nothing but fight and hiss at one another if they were still around, but that was fine. It would be satisfying in its own way.

Part of his journey led him through a narrow desert canyon, deep within the desert sands. His tracks led him through rocky fields, around which he felt most comfortable as they reminded him of his home. Searing might have noticed his tracks, should the stallion's eyes ever cast themselves towards the ground, and Hiss would most certainly see him slip into the canyon.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Well, this should be interesting! And we'll find out how these two mimics actually feel about each other at any rate. I'm curious though...is Spike supposed to be listed in the database as a Hybrid? I thought he was a Sa'krien.))

Searing was long gone, so intent upon reaching his goal that he'd never noticed that faint whisper of scent approaching, and while he had learned to move with ease over the rocky terrain he'd never learned to read the suble tracks upon it.

But Hiss, despite her lack of external ears, still had rather keen hearing, and the rustle of Spike's sharp talons over the stone sounded nothing like hooves. It sounded nothing like nothing she had heard before as she slipped largely unnoticed through the arid lands she called home.

The mare gulped, heart pounding until she was certain that the stranger must hear it too as she backed slowly into the deepest part of the canyon. From there even her pale body was mostly hidden in the deep shadows, and if she had to she could scramble up the steep and crumbly but still climbable slope to the top of the outcropping.

Flattening herself to the stone of her hiding spot Hiss watched, heart in her throat, as she hoped that whomever was making the sound would do as Searing had not and pass by the canyon mouth. This place should have been the perfect hiding spot. It was so inaccessable, so secluded. But now twice in as many moons another had come to it! Hiss had not yet realized that the spring running through the canyon's center was one of a scattered handful of permanent water sources in this stretch of the desert.

And whether for that reason or another the stranger headed right into the canyon. Hiss's frantic eyes at first failed to find the source of the rustling sounds. Like Searing, this visitor was dark in color, well hidden. Unlike Searing they were also short legged, stocky, low to the ground. And they looked even less like most Samanayrs than she did. Trembling Hiss remained hidden, hoping that they only wished to take a drink and then leave. As she tried to back even further into the shadows her hoof slipped, sending a spray of tiny pebbles rattling gently down the slope.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

((Since I didn't get a spot in the RP expedition, and I really want to join in an RP now, I will join in this one if you don't mind. This time Soarer gets to join in and I can start to develop a personality for her.))

Soarer was standing at the edge of a short precipice looking out over the soft desert sands, looking like an pale white ocean frozen in a constant state of rough seas. This precipice was right at the edge of the desert, the ground under her feet soft with stubbly grass poking its way through the rough hard ground underneath. Soarer had never been this close to the desert before, she had only seen it from the air off in the distance. She was debating entering this bleak land to see what it had to offer. On one hoof, it was almost night and the hot sun was sinking slowly and along with it, the deadly heat was dissipating, however, it would soon be night, and things came out at night, not all of them nice.

This was how Soarer was, wings slightly outstreached, one hoof raised slightly, when she spotted a blurry figure cresting the top of one of the faraway dunes. She had heard of mirages, things that were not things, and she wondered if this might be one. She tucked her wings back in and crouched, watching the shape move, heading straight towards her. Slowly the shape resolved itself into a body, four legs, and a tail. She realized that this must be another Samanayr. It must be thirsty she thought, as the desert seemed such a dull place, filled with sand and no greenery in sight. She spread her wings once more, leaping from the top of the precipice, diving, loving the feel of the wind rustling through her short mane and tugging on her feathers. She pulled up at the last minute, a cloud of sand raising up behind her as she beat her wings strongly to gain altitude and then headed off towards the other samanayr, calling out to it, "Hello!"
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Yay for more people! I'll go ahead and reply with Searing while waiting for Jenn to reply with more of what's going on at the canyon.))

Either the edge of the desert was giving way to new growth, perhaps at the encouragement of a Mystic, or else Searing had gotten faster and stronger since the last time he had come here. The last sliver of the sun was still above the horizon when he began to smell the almost overwhelming scent of greenery and water. Searing knew from others that most Sams considered even the marginal zone overly arid and devoid of plant life, but he couldn't even begin to imagine more greenery around than what lay ahead.

But either way, his goal for the night was near. At this rate he might even be able to collect what he had come for and return to Hiss before midnight. So intent was he on his goal that he barely noticed the dust cloud form ahead, or the figure come flying out of it. Only when Soarer was practically upon him did he properly take note

Pulling up, skidding slightly on the sands as he wheeled to face her, tiny wings flaring out briefly, Searing tried to ready himself for one of his rare encounters with another. Other than Hiss he had seen no one for the past several moons. His first thought was that another stallion had recently claimed this bit of marginal land and was coming to chase him away, but the voice that sang out to him as the flying figure drew nearer was feminine.

The other seemed friendly enough, so Searing resumed his trip to the desert's edge, though at a more gentle trot instead of the full out run he'd been moving at. Looking up, trusting to his skill to keep him from taking a tumble on the rougher ground underfoot as he left the sands, Searing returned her greeting.

"Gyreetings faiyr flyeyr! Ayre you newly settled heyre?" Searing stumbled briefly, then recovered as he glanced up to check and see if she showed any signs of territorial behaviour that would indicate that a Song had been founded here since last he'd traveled through.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

As the other Samanayr noticed her, he reared up flaring his stubby little wings. Opps, Soarer thought to herself, she should have called out sooner to avoid startling the other Samanayr. She went back to looking over the other male, yes, she could see he was a male now. He was quite nice looking, his colours fitting perfectly into the desert yet standing out with nicely patterned stripes. His two sharp horns, ringed in white made Soarer a little wary but she knew they would make him strong and well able to protect himself and any mares he would choose to protect. She then stopped at his two tiny vestigial wings, pity catching in her throat, as a lamanayr, her and her kind loved to fly. The sky was her life and she felt sorry for this Samanayr, who had been graced with the gift of wings but to be unable to fly.

"No, I have not settled heyre," she replied to his greeting and question, "I am a tyravelleyr, I hadn't been to a desseyrt befoyre so I decided to exployre. I haven't invaded youyr lands have I?"
She alighted softly to the ground a little ways away, hoping to not startle or scare him any more, this time not spraying up quite as much sand. As her hooves touched down, she almost leapt back up into the sky, the sand was much warmer than she had expected and her hooves were not used to the heat. She then remembered what had brought her out to greet him, "Ayre you thiyrsty? I know of a pond only a shoyrt distance away."
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

While she was in the sky and he trotting along on the ground Searing hadn't gotten a good look at the mare who had flown out to greet him, and he failed to notice her pity at his too small for flight wings. He had never been bothered by the fact that he was flightless. He loved the feel of the sand under his hooves as he ran, the dust swirling up behind him. The air seemed so empty compared to the dunes and canyons of the ground. But as Soarer touched down some distance ahead he got a good look at her. Foyr one who has not known the deseyrt you beayr its coloyrs well." Indeed, her colors seemed quite suited for the desert and he would not have hesitated for a moment to think her one of the few non-Desert Samanayrs who dwelled here had she not out and out stated that this was the first time she had come to the desert. Catching her own concerns about tresspass he shook his head, leonine mane swishing around him. "Feayr not sky tyravelleyr. I have no Song, only fond hopes which byring me heyre this night. And those centeyred ayround lands deepeyr in the sands."

Chuckling softly he continued. "And even then I am not one to chase a lone tyravelleyr off so soon. Not so long as they in tuyrn mean no hayrm." Her next words made his large ears twitch thoughtfully. He had drunk deeply before leaving the canyon and it's spring, but it was earlier in the night than he was usually out running. He was not so thirsty as she might expect, but another drink would hardly go amiss. And it would be good to know where the local water was so that he might drink more deeply before making the return trip later. Inclining his head Searing approached. "I should be gyrateful to know wheyre the wateyr heyre may be found sky lady. If you would cayre to show me?"

Stopping a short distance from Soarer, Searing bent one front leg under, stretching the other out before him in an odd sort of courtious bow. "I am SandsAflame-Seayring. Would the lady give me the pleasuyre of knowing heyr name as well?"

((The things you find out about characters by actually playing them... For all that Searing isn't actively out on the hunt for mares for a Song he's quite the old fashioned gentleman it seems.))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((I know :D when I started, I didn't really have any ideas about Soarer's personality but I think I have a better idea now. It's almost like they already have personalities and we are discovering rather than creating them.))

As Searing bowed down and formally introduced himself, Soarer blushed a bit, she had not met another Samanayr quite as graceful as this one. "My name is Soayreyr over Clouded Hills," she replied, attempting to replicate the bow-like gesture and only half succeeding, "but you may call me Soayreyr if you like."
"If you follow me I will take you too the pond." She said as she prepared to lift off and fly back up to the top of the precipice, wings twitching in anticipation, before she remembered, glancing back at Searing's flightless wings, and paused, hesitating as she attempted to find another way up to the top.

She glanced around for a few moments before spotting a thin winding path leading right up to the top. Hoping Searing hadn't noticed her hesitation, she lifted one hoof, pointing in the direction of the path before lowering it again, taking a step forward. As she continued forwards her hooves kept slipping and sinking into the sand, the little grains of sand wedging uncomfortably between the two cloves of her hooves. She kicked out her back hooves in frustration, maybe she was just walking wrong.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

((Spike is technically a Sa'krien Desert stallion, as he is a mimic of a Desert horned lizard specifically. He's fully both, but the database can only list it as one, the other, or a hybrid. The last is the closest. *grin*))

The spring passing through the canyon served as a valuable landmark for Spike on his trek through the seemingly endless dunes of the desert. Such places were easily remembered and also potentially dangerous. He had passed through once before, when he was very young, and found it inhabited by a Song. He hoped that wasn't the case at the moment, as the desert changed much and surviving in its harsh landscape sometimes required a nomadic lifestyle.

He approached the bare trickle of water with slow, wary steps, his lizard-like limbs deceptively slow to fool any potential predators lurking nearby. If they found him prey, he would rather look like easy if prickly prey and surprise them with his speed and ferocity. Claws careful, he neared the water and lowered his head, red eyes flicking constantly around as he lapped up some water.

Head whipping around at the faint sound of movement, he seemed to grow larger as he rose from his squat and visibly bristled his spiky scales, mouth opening to show his needle teeth to the threat. So much for seeming helpless. But he just couldn't remain passive with a noise like that nearby. Maybe it was just a normal desert creature, a scorpion or a lizard or a snake shifting in the canyon. Maybe not. Searching eyes scanned the shadows and couldn't easily distinguish Hiss's form.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Ooh, I see now with Spike. And yup, characters often seem to just be waiting for you to discover them! They dont always want to go where you intended...))

Rising from his bow Searing was pleased to see Soarer attempting to return the gesture. He grinned at her and bowed his head again. "Then I shall Soayreyr. And you may call me Seayring." He followed her to the edge of the precipice, watched as she twitched her wings, and then watched more in bewilderment as she began to struggle her way up the narrow, sandy path. "Payrdon, but is theyre some yreason why you don't fly up?" Now, watching her walk on the sands he could believe that she had not encountered their like before. His own wide hooves spread out over the sand, toughened to the grit and the heat by constant exposure.

Searing remained some distance from the path's end, watching carefully. "The deseyrt sands ayre tyricky, and I'm not ceyrtain that it would be comfoyrtable foyr eitheyr of us foyr me to catch you should they make you slip." His long horns were first on his mind, but he had to admit that he wasn't exactly looking forward to the weight of her either. Though she might be able to get her wings into play before crashing. As long as the cliff face didn't get in their way anyways.

~~~~~~

Meanwhile back in the canyon Hiss was working her way to a full blown panic. The stranger looked like nothing so much as one of the scuttling little lizards of the desert, all spikes and spines. But so much larger and with a hint of Samanayr scent to them. At first it had looked as though they might simply drink and be gone, but as she dislodged the rocks the stranger snapped upright into a highly agressive pose. It was too dark in the canyon for Hiss to see that the sharp teeth were red, but she could easily see how long and sharp they were. In fact, her overactive imagination painted them as massive fangs, seemingly of a length to rival Searing's horns.

For a moment Hiss stood frozen, then with a squeal of panic she wheeled and tried to flee up the sloping path of shifting stones. The fact that it might be a very, very bad idea to turn her back on Spike for any reason, much less to flee like a paniced prey item. She was dislodging many more stones now, some of them bouncing far enough to reach Spike. However she wasn't making much progress in her blind charge as she kept sliding back down the slipery, tumbling stones. It was exactly like trying to run away in a bad dream. Straining, straining, yet getting nowhere fast.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

He seemed confused as she stumbled along, slipping and sliding, then he asked her why she didn't fly. Even though she was clearly the one in most need of help and Searing, being a desert stallion born and raised in the desert, was perfectly capable of making his way up the sandy incline himself, she couldn't help but want to help out and guide him back to the pool for the drink she believed he so desperately needed. When he continued and explained how it might even be safer if she flew up, she began to realize that he might be right. She didn't want to slip and fall onto him, how embarassing! She turned back and peered at him, for the first time noticing his widened desert toughened hooves, just perfect for gripping and walking, even running along the slippery sand.
"You will be alyright?" she asked wanting to be sure he would be able to make his way up to the top himself.
She was certain that he would be fine, but she just couldn't help feeling concerned as she looked at his wings that would not be able to stop a fall should one occur.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((I'm going to go ahead and reply with Searing while waiting to find out what's going on back at the canyon.))

Searing watched as Soarer looked him over as though seeing him for the first time. He shifted slightly and flicked one wing idly as she asked if he would be alright in a somewhat concerned way. Grinning at her he tossed his head and replied, "Quite fine. The path looks yrough enough to gyrip well, and not too steep. The scyree at the back of my canyon is woyrse to climb." Wait...had he just called it his canyon? He had. Already he was planning as though Hiss would accept his suit...he did so hope she would. That shy little mare made him feel like no other ever had. Searing cast a glance over his shoulder, back towards the canyon. What was Hiss doing now? Did she miss him? Or was she glad to be alone again.

Searing turned back towards the climb and Soarer in time to notice her looking at his tiny wings with concern. He tilted his head at her, then spread one wing and looked at it abstractly as though he'd never seen it before. "You've not seen vestigal wings befoyre? They'yre quite good foyr steayring at speed."
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((Just so you know, I am leaving tomorrow to return back to Guelph for university. I don't know how long I will be without internet so it might be awhile before I get back to you on this RP or the other ones.))
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Aww...we'll miss you around. Good luck in school though! Hopefully you get internet soon.))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((*is back* YAY there is internet here already! Once we finish painting my room, we can get all my things moved in and get everything all home-like.))
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

As Searing insisted that he would be fine and explained how even his tiny wings could help out with a fall, she gave in. She lept off the edge of the path, unfurling her wings and soared around for a little while, enjoying the feel of the wind through her feathers once more before she circled back to check on Searing and following him up the rest of the path, but keeping far enough back to prevent the wind from her wings blowing him or the sand about.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

((I apologize for the wait. <3 Definitely feel free to skip over me whenever necessary, since the two are in completely different locations.))

Her stillness had made it impossible for Spike to pick out Hiss's location, though he was now very aware of another's presence somewhere in her general direction. The second she squealed, red eyes snapped in the direction of the sound and picked out her shadowy form trying to scramble up the steep side of the canyon walls.

With a soundless hiss, he scurried forward and tried to avoid the rocks she dislodged. Several of them bounced off of his scaly skin, only two large enough to make him grunt in surprise or pain. What was it? That had sounded like another Samanayr, very much like one. Running from him.

Was it also a visitor to the land, drinking what water it could find? Or was it a Desert nomad, too young to know better than to flee? Or a soft and squishy outsider, foolish enough to wander so deep into the sands and losing themselves in the process?

A Mystic wouldn't have run, not like that. They would have thrown their vile magics at him before they squealed like a mouse and turned tail. He didn't have that possiblity driving him to mindlessly obsessive bloodlust.

He steadily continued his approach, puffed up as best he could and continuing his silent hisses. No need for words, not yet...
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((It's as much that I'm being a lazy bum and not feeling in the mood for RP after work as anything. At some point I would like to bring both halves of the RP back together in the canyon though.))

Searing did not instantly begin climbing up the path, but stood for a moment watching Soarer take to the skies with evident joy. It appeared that sky was her element, even as the desert was his. It was only when she circled back around to watch him that Searing belatedly remembered that he was supposed to be climbing the path and hastened forwards.

As he had expected, the path was no worse than those around the canyon he had lately taken to living in. Better than many around there actually. This wasn't the half broken, narrow, crumbling paths of those windswept stones. In fact, it almost seemed as though it had been made specifically for desert hooves to climb. Perhaps it had been. Sharian and Mystics were mysterious and sometimes did odd things if the stories were to be believed. Just to be safe he began a low Song of Greeting, just in case a Song did dwell here. From time to time as he climbed Searing glanced up at Soarer and nodded at her as she followed him from the air.

((You can go ahead and see him reach the top next post if you'd like.))

~~~~~~

It was impossible for Hiss to hear any of Spike's grunts or hisses over the sound of her own panic, the rocks she dislodged, the hammering of her heart in her throat. She had half exhausted herself trying to reach the top and was barely more than halfway up. In her mind the spikey figure was right behind her, teeth bared and ready to sink into her tail at any moment. Finally a slip sent her to her knees, and as she lay there, quivering and panting, she dared a glance behind her.

The spikey one was still approaching; now that she was no longer making enough racket to drown out a minor thunderstorm she could hear the rasp of claws on stone again. The shadows hid him much better than they did her, in fact she was getting close enough to the top of the canyon for the moonlight to begin reflecting off of her white scales. She couldn't find the stranger anymore, but they were still coming.

Stumbling back to her feet Hiss slipped down a little, then scrambled back up the slope. "Wh-what do you want? she whispered in a trembling, breathy voice, wide eyes anxiously scanning the pebbly ground in search of her unknown persuer. Slowly she began to inch her way further up the slope, actually making better progress now than she had in her first mad scramble.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Finally, as it stopped its thrashing scramble up the side of the canyon, Spike caught sight of his prey. The moonlight showed her white skin clearly, though not the precise colors of her markings, and he snorted and hissed. Tiny red needle teeth were probably still hidden by shadow, but the dull gleam of his horns would soon become more obvious, as would his claws if she dared look at his feet. They were paler and might catch her attention.

"You whimpeyr like a coweyring mouse, mayre," he rasped up at her. His approach had slowed and steadied to match hers, perhaps to heighten her fear and perhaps for safety. Probably the former. He could almost taste the edge of her terror if he concentrated. What an unexpected development. If she was alone and as meek as she seemed, maybe he would get some dinner after all.

"I wanted a dyrink. Now I think I'm getting hungyry. Anything you can do to help with that, little pyrey cyreature?"
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((I looked at this, forgot to reply, and then forgot it had been updated... :oops: )

Searing climbed up the path with ease and Soarer forgot all her worries about him possibly falling off. He was a natural at climbing sandy cliffs.

Once they reached the top, Soarer landed on the the soft grass, not quite as soft and long as one might normally find in a grassy patch, but it felt like the softest of pillows compared to the rough gritty sand that Soarer had been standing in so recently. She gazed out at the smallish trees struggling to grow at the edge of the desert to get her bearings before taking a step towards one of the taller trees. "The pond is this way," she called out, turning back to see if he was following.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Err...I seem to have done worse at remembering to post in my RPs... Feel free to kick me back over here if I vanish that long again. I would like to eventually get figured out what all happens this night so I know what these guys have been through for future stories. I just sort of...lost the drive to RP for awhile. Will try to do better...))

At the top of the cliff Searing looked around with interest. He had been over this way before, but never to the clifftops. He had never guessed that this little paradise was hiding up here. Where Soarer saw stunted growth and rather dry, scratchy grass, Searing saw luxuriant growth and soft, abundant grasses. "What a find! I neveyr would have guessed such abundance was up heyre!" His nose twitched at the scent of fruits on some of those struggling trees. Perhaps what he had come seeking could be found up here! Fewer would scavenge this clifftop grove than would the ground below. He might yet make it home again before midnight. That would be nice.

Soarer's voice startled him out of his pleasant half day-dreams and he hastened forward, though still scanning the trees for clusters of sweet red and green fruits. "And none claim this place?"

((He's looking for mangos if anyone is curious.))

~~~~~~

The sounds from below did not sound like they came from Samanayr-kin to Hiss as she panted for breath. The dust and grit she had kicked up prevented her from even catching the scent of the invader. But when he spoke a shiver ran down the length of her body, making her long tail lash and twitch. He spoke, but such a horse, awful, terrible, frightful voice! And the words!

Hiss continued to creep her way backwards up the slope, hardly daring to look away from the shadowy form of the intruder. It took her several moments to realize what he had just said to her. What he had called her. With a shrill whinny of fear she surged upwards again, showering a finner grit down towards Spike. Disjointed images surged through her head. Wings. Searing. The venomous banded snake whos colors she mimiced. Striking snakes. Caves. Wings. Wings would be good about now. Though it had yet to sink in that once she reached the top she would be trapped on the rocks. No other easily climable slope decended from up there, and the leap to a neighboring cliff was chancy in the dark.

((Oh dear...looks like Searing better get himself home quickly if he still wants to have a mare...))
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((Well, I guess we can hurry things up since we need to go save Hiss))

"This place?" Soarer questioned, raising an eybrow, "Oh no, not when there are so many more wonderful places only a half day's walk away."
      Soarer began to walk forward, expecting Searing to follow, and in a few minutes they came to the small little pond, small stunted bulrushes lining the edges along with a smaller clearing ringed by a few small mango trees(( how convenient ;) )), their boughs plump with juicy fruits. She leapt over to the pond, dipping her muzzle into the cool, clear water to take a sip.
      Lifting her head, still dripping, she looked back at Searing, "Try some, it's nice and sweet from the mangos, the juice runs into the pond when they fall from the trees."
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Searing raised an eyebrow of his own at Soarer. Perhaps there were better places, but surely some desert dweller should find this place perfect. He quitely mused to himself on possible reasons for this clifftop oasis to be unclaimed as he followed, still looking around. "Peyrhaps by day this is not so fine a place. Do the winds sweep styronger up heyre? Oyr it is closeyr to the sun. Peyrhaps it gyrows too hot by day."

As they approached the water source itself Searing had a new idea. "Oh! This must be a place of tyruce! Such abundance is too much foyr a single Song to claim and hold. Only the gyreediest would take this place and deny all otheyrs this plenty." His eyes were bright as he admired the trees that to him seemed lush and bountiful. Coming closer his head went up and his eyes wide. For the moment the water was forgotten as he all but danced up to first one tree and then another. He could hardly believe it, but here in plenty was the very thing he had sought to bring home as a courting gift.

"Ayre these the mangos you speak of? I neveyr knew what they weyre called, only that they taste wondeyrful! This is peyrfect! So many! Suyrely Hiss will like these!" He turned with delight towards Soarer, large ears perked up, wings and tail both twitching with barely restrained energy. "Thank you so veyr much foyr showing me this place! These ayre what I was seeking! I must get some back home with me!"

Only as an afterthought did Searing lower his head to drink, still a bundle of energy waiting to be released into a burst of speed once more.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

((It appears that Soarer needs to be taught a little about the desert XD))

Soarer was still amazed by Searing's wonder at the stunted, scraggly growth at the desert outskirts, but then again, she had never truly been somewhere as barren as a desert to realize how wondrous the growth was, miraculously shooting up and out of the coarse sandy soil, barely managing to squeeze what little water there was out of it.
      When Searing saw the mangoes, she could see the happiness in his eyes. "You cyrossed over the entiyre deseyrt just to get some mangoes?"
      The thought that Searing lived in the desert hadn't even crossed her mind, believing it to be a barren wasteland. She was up for adventure and when Searing stated he wanted to bring some mangoes back home, she gladly volunteered herself, "Oooh would you like some help? I can fly up to the tyreetops and pick the yripest juiciest mangoes for you, and and then we can wyrap them up in these giant leaves to cayryry back, it will be fun! Which ones should I get?"
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

((Heh, and Searing needs to learn about the world outside the desert... He doesn't want to though. His son does...but not him.))

Searing was much too pleased with the little grove of mangoes to notice that Soarer was a bit surprised at his reaction to this place. Oh, in his head he knew that this wasn't considered anything special outside of the desert. Or at least he'd been told by a handful of travelers that such was true. But the desert and the scrublands around it were all he knew. Truth be told they were all he really wanted to know. Even this much richness of food and water was almost overwhelming.

As Soarer asked in amazement if he'd crossed the entire desert just for these fruits Searing blinked and confusion shadowed the joy in his eyes. "Eyrr...no? It was only a houyr oyr so's gallop fyrom my home to heyre. It would take many nights to yrun the entiyre deseyrt..." HIs eyes went vague for a moment as he considered. "I pyrobably have yrun oveyr most of it, just not all at once."

The thought of help getting those lovely mangos back home was enough to perk him right back up though. With help he could take even more of them back to be enjoyed! There were few signs of visitors to here that he could see, and surely what two Samanayrs could carry off wasn't enough to deplete the grove. HIs head bobbed in happy acceptance, not even thinking of how Hiss might feel if he showed back up with a strange mare in tow as well as the sweet fruit. "I would be glad of the help. I admit, I was not suyre how to cayrry them." Trotting around to all the trees he tried to examine them for the best choices to take home. Every now and then he stopped and indicated a particular mango.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image