SamCon 2016!

Talk about anything you want here.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

SamCon 2016!

Post by Sushidragon »

The photo was taken by Orca, who was supposed to be IN the photo, but oh well XD This means SamCon grew by one person from last year, whoo! silvermoondragon and I shared a table again this year but she seems to have been mysteriously covered up by her icon..

VancouFur was awesome, I met a bunch of fun folks, drew badges for people, and even sold a couple of Samanayr cards, so we might get to see some new faces around here! I also handed out about 30 of the little Samanayr books to people who seemed interested, they went over really well! And I got to play real live Werewolf for the first time, which was very entertaining.

And, uh, silvermoondragon might have convinced me to try making my own fursuit for next year.. you know, in all of my spare time ;D I think it would be fun to do a Samanayr, specifically Glint, although that would also be a lot of hair?! We'll see what happens, I guess!

There's 12 Samanayr cards that will be looking for homes sometime soon, and I have one badge commission to finish up this week, and then I'll get to work finishing off everything on the 'do stuff for me' board before I start anything new. I've also got a pet fair coming up at the beginning of May that I need to start doing some prep for, and oh yeah, my second surgery will be sometime around then too. Still going to be busy, I guess!

But right now, bedtime XD
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: SamCon 2016!

Post by RikkuGirl »

OMG that looks amazing! I wish I could have gone. :) Looks like it will be a neat next convention... you being Glint and all xD hahahaha Epic. I hope you are able to make one, that would be really neat.

O: Oh no, I doubt you will have a problem finding homes for those cards ;D *gets her monehs together.* lol <333

Hopefully we can get some new members? That would be awesome to find out if any of the people that got some sign up for the forum! :D <333

Glad you had fun! Stay strong with your surgery! We are here for you if you need support <33333
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
ElvenArcher
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: All of them

Post by ElvenArcher »

Sounds like you had fun and made some money in the process haha :D

I have always wanted a fur suit but I don't really know how to sew that well.
What I really want to do someday is cosplay as my Tauren Warrior from World of Warcraft. :D

I would love to get a Sam Card again but sadly I won't have any money untill the end of next month. Any money I have right now has to go towards Comic Con. Have to buy snacks and things... Probably won't have enough for anything at the Con but we'll see.

Last September my sister and I put our money together and got our dad an autograph from one of the Original Star Trak cast. It was awesome! We had enough to get some Funko Pop figures too. :D
I love Comic Cons hahaha XD

One day I'll make up to join you... One day. :D
Good luck with your pet fair and your surgery.
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pets
ImageImageImageImage
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I ended up making enough to cover my flight snafu, so that was good XD;; Sigh, I'm never making that mistake again..

I can't really sew but it looks like you can do a lot of it with hot glue gun and not necessarily with sewing. I've got some sketches done and now I just need to figure out how it's all going to actually work. Mr Sushi seems skeptical that I'll actually go through with it.. I guess we'll see!

Comic cons are fun :D My city has a 'fandom con' now and last year I got my picture taken with the Old Spice Guy, Isaiah Mustafa, which was awesome XD I'm not that excited about any of the guests this year but I am looking forward to checking things out!
Image Image

Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Sushidragon wrote: I can't really sew but it looks like you can do a lot of it with hot glue gun and not necessarily with sewing. I've got some sketches done and now I just need to figure out how it's all going to actually work. Mr Sushi seems skeptical that I'll actually go through with it.. I guess we'll see!
Eep no! Don't try to glue fabric together with a hot glue gun. Especially not fur! The heat from the glue gun will melt the synthetic fibers of most fake fur. And if it doesn't you'll end up with a matted mess.

Sewing is not hard. Even fake fur. There are a couple prep tips for fur that take time but are so worth it when it come to actually sewing the fabric.

I could sew a suit no problem - it's the molding for the mask and feet and such that I don't know much about. If you do attempt it and want help let me know!

EDIT: And now that I'm thinking about a Glint suit. I'd recommend a super short plush fur in ivory for the base with a longer shag white for the tufts. The rainbow will be tough. You can get rainbow fur but it is distinctly striped. I'd recommend more white fur and then airbrushing or dying it for a more natural gradient. For his scales resin cast scales would look amazing and aren't too hard to do.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Codress
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Any with wings! ^_^

Post by Codress »

OMG TOO COOLY!! If you ever get closer to FL I will go for sure!! ^_^ wish Silver would have showen her face xP lol glad u all had a goody time and new peeps is alwayss a good thing. ^_^
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Been taking the rest of the week to relax and doodle around but I'm getting back to work on the 'do stuff for me' board stuff today. Unfortunately I probably won't have the opportunity to stream until Monday (but seeing Zootopia tonight, yay!).

@Echos - Oh, I was under the impression that you could do a lot of it with gluing, oops XD I definitely need to do more research!

I was thinking about the mane too, it would probably take some doing.. and the tail! For the time being I'm also thinking I'd do a partial instead of a full suit. I also thought of Hope of the Heart's Flame as a suit candidate, but I'm really not ready for wings yet XD
Image Image

amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

If you're serious about trying to make a fursuit you might consider trying to make a sam plush first. I think alot of the skills would be the same (sewing, sculpting with foam, working with furs and so forth) and its a much smaller scale than human sized to experiment with.

Now I personally don't have experience with either, it was just a thought.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Using watercolors to dye the fur for the mane is a technique you might experiment with. Another would be to look into brushed yarn for the tail, though I truthfully have no idea how you would use that technique for a mane.

As for glue. I'm sure you can do a fair amount with glue, I just would not recommend hot glue. Try fabric glue, Aleene fabric fusion is my recommendation.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ElvenArcher
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: All of them

Post by ElvenArcher »

All this talk is making me want to make a fursuit. :D
Or a partial one at least.

I have no idea where to start though.
If your character has a beak, how do you make a beak?

Must go research now... :D

@Sushidragon

My mom has tons and I mean TONS of experience sewing and making Halloween costumes for her 5 kids and many other family members. She would love to help you out if you need some help. I've been showing her fursuits tonight and she is now saying she wants to make them. Hahaha. :D
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pets
ImageImageImageImage
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

SamCon was so much fun! Although I definitely have to step up my display, it looks so sad and empty next to Sushi's...

@Codress - It's way more fun being mysterious XD

@Echos and Sushidragon - While I wouldn't recommend hot glue on the front(hairy) side of the fur, or using it to attach two pieces of fur together, it does work quite well on the backing of the fur to attach it to the structure underneath. I believe most of the professional fursuit makers actually do use hot glue to attach the fur to resin head bases, and I did the same to attach it to the beak/eyes of my costume.

@ElvenArcher - it's super fun and addicting! I really wish I had more time to work on mine. I have some experience with beaks that I'm happy to share with you. There are many different methods, you could carve out some foam, sculpt with some form of clay or sculpy, or the method I used: cardboard and papier mâché. I cut out some cardboard like this: http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk18 ... attern.jpg folded/taped it up, and then sealed it with some newspaper and glue(and add a raised cere and nostrils). In my second iteration I dremmeled/ground down the center and the re-papier mâchéd it multiple times to make it a little more rounded. I ended up with the following: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/16149956/

Anyway, for any advice I definitely recommend the following site regardless of whether you're making a fursuit or just any type of costume: http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori ... er=fursuit