Birthday - Races

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Birthday - Races

Post by silvermoondragon »

ImageImageImage
Welcome to the Birthday Celebration Races. New to this set of races is the first water course and a triathlon for Samanayr teams to participate in.

How Racing Works

There will be three different courses. One on the ground, one in the water, and one triathlon covering air, water, and ground. Each course is 30 spaces long, and has several obstacles the racers must get through, over, around, or under.

Every round, a d6 (six-sided die) will be rolled for each racer. The number rolled determines how many spaces the racer goes forward, and the first Samanayr to the finish line is the winner! There are also prizes for the second and third Sams.

The races will be run here on the forum.

Obstacles

Each course will have a number of obstacles to get through. When a Samanayr reaches an obstacle, a d20 (20-sided die) will be rolled for them. Each obstacle has a number from 1 to 20, based on its difficulty, and the racer's roll must match or beat that number to successfully cross the obstacle.

Until the Samanayr is able to pass the obstacle, they will not move forward. If they successfully pass the obstacle, they will get a regular movement roll that round. If they encounter the obstacle in the middle of regular movement and successfully pass it on the same turn, they will continue forward normally.

If a Samanayr isn't able to pass an obstacle after three tries, they will pass it automatically after the third attempt and keep moving forward on their next turn.

Traits Matter!

A Samanayr's features and traits can give it bonuses or penalties to regular movement and obstacle rolls. The trick is that you won't know what affect your Sam's traits will have before the race starts! Here's some examples:

- A Samanayr with the 'fluffy' or 'extensive tufts' trait will be encumbered by that extra fur, and receive a -1 penalty to each regular movement roll.
- A Samanayr with very long legs is able to leap over obstacles easily, and it will receive a +5 bonus to obstacle rolls that require going over something.
- A Samanayr with the 'butterfly wings' trait will need to be careful going through a dense bramble patch, and will receive a -10 penalty to the roll for that obstacle.
- A water Mystic would be able to gauge the currents and depths of a stream easily, giving it a +10 bonus for any obstacles requiring crossing water.

In the future, you might learn what the obstacles are before a race and be able to choose your Sam accordingly, but for now they're going into the courses blind. Good luck

Terrain

Although these races are pretty straightforward terrain-wise, in the future the terrain itself will play a part in a Samanayr's movement roll. For example, if a course was over sandy terrain, the Desert Samanayrs would have a clear advantage and receive a +1 bonus to each roll.

Prizes!

The best part, of course. Prizes will be assigned to the first, second, and third place racers in each race. The main prize for each place is a gold, silver, or bronze medal. You'll receive a pixel version of your medal for your Samanayrs webpage inventory, but if you choose to equip your medal, it will also appear on your Samanayr's image! The medal itself will be the color they placed, but you can choose the ribbon color.

Medals are special items and can only be equipped to the Samanayr that won it. If you're borrowing a Samanayr from someone else, you'll receive the pixel medal image for your inventory, but you won't be able to equip it to the winning Samanayr unless you give the medal to the Samanayr's owner.

For now, a Samanayr can only wear one medal at a time, but medals can be equipped and unequipped. There is also no limit to how many medals a Samanayr can win!

First place

- Gold medal (25% chance any offspring will be twins)
- One modiem of choice
- One random modiem

Second place

- Silver medal (gives a 20% bonus to breeding)
- One modiem of choice

Third place

- Bronze medal (gives a 10% bonus to breeding)
- One random modiem

Medals for the triathalon are slightly different however. Only the first place team will receive a triathlon medal, one for each participating Samanayr. Second and third place team members will each receive a modiem, of choice and random respectively.

The triathlon medals are amulets and all have the special Triathlon Triplet Attachment, which increases the chance of triplets to 10%

Triathlon Multiple Tails Amulet - Gives the Multiple Tails trait.
Triathlon Multiple Horns Amulet - Gives the Multiple Horns trait.
Triathlon Seraphim Amulet - Gives the Seraphim trait.

For all three amulets, the type of tail, horn, or wings will be a surprise. There is one of each amulet available and members of the winning team will need to agree amongst themselves on which amulet to get.

Rules

Is your Samanayr all pumped up and ready to race? Good! Just make sure you read this important information first:

- Each person is allowed to enter one Samanayr per racing event (not one Samanayr per race).
- If you don't own a Samanayr but would like to participate, you may apply using someone else's Samanayr as long as you have the owner's permission. Please see the information under 'prizes' for what will happen if your borrowed Samanayr receives a medal. There is more information at the bottom for non-owners, as well as a list of Samanayrs available for use.
- In the event of a tie, there will be a roll-off between those Samanayrs to see who crosses first.
- Each Samanayr can only be entered in one race.

Apply to Race

There are three races to choose from:

Ground

A simple ground course through a field and into a forest. Samanayrs who want to enter the ground races must be able to move along the ground. Flying is not permitted on this course.

There are 10 spots open for this race.

Water

This water course travels between islands. Samanayrs who want to enter the water races must be able to move through water. Flying is not permitted on this course.

There are 10 spots open for this race.

Triathlon

This race involves three different terrains: air, water, and land. In order to enter your Samanayr into the triathlon, you must create a team with other users with a Samanayr suitable for each terrain type. For example: one Lamanayr(for air portion), one Aquatic(for water portion), and one Kirin(for ground portion) You can of course enter any species into the water and ground portions, however certain species may be at a disadvantage for certain terrains such as an aquatic running the ground portion or a fire elemental doing the water portion. For the flying section, only Samanayrs able to fly may enter.

Special Rules:
- Team must contain three Samanayrs, each entered by a different user
- Only one ‘magical’ species per team (Mystic, Misery, Elemental, etc)
- Only flying Samanayrs may enter the air section of the triathalon
- Each member of a team must submit an application form
- If you would like to enter for a random team, just put random for team name and members

There are 6 team spots open for this race.

Racing applications are open NOW, and will be open until Aug 12, 6pm PST. This is to give people some time to sort out teams for the triathlon. Race Spots will be given randomly to everyone who enters each category, for the triathalon, this will be by team(i.e. teams won’t be broken up). To apply for a race spot, send a PM to my account, silvermoondragon, either on the forum or PI(pm’s sent to Sushidragon may get missed or you may miss getting the spot you want), with the subject being the course type you would like your Samanayr to race on (Ground, Water, Triathlon) and the following filled out:

Samanayr name:
Samanayr ID:
Team Name(if entering triathalon):
Team Members(if entering triathalon):
Which race would you like to enter your Sam in (Ground, Water, Triathlon)?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you have permission from the owner to use it?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you understand that any medals won cannot be equipped to it unless they're given to the Sam's owner?
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Re: Birthday - Races

Non-Owner Information

For those of you who don’t yet have a Samanayr of your own, you’re welcome to borrow any of mine (click on the thumbnail for a larger image):
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Tranquility of the Peaceful Pond
Vapor
Mystic of Nature's Flame

And here is a list of Samanayrs that are also available for use.

Jennalyn’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Zephyr, Dance of the Savannah Winds, and Premonition of the Looming Cloud
Conditions: PM Jennalyn.

Orasteele’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Fathom

Pathos’s Samanayrs:
Image Image Image Image Image

Origami_Dragon’s Samanayrs:
Image Image Image
Conditions: Let Origami_Dragon know.

cassiadawn’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Waft

RikkuGirl’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Vixen of the Spider Totem, Mischief of the Gleaming Desert, Misery of the Frozen Stream

AsaraDragon’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Lagoon

Aranea’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Hunter of the Burning Savanna, Charge of the Tumbling Mountain

And if you have multiple Samanayrs or are not planning on racing yourself and wouldn’t mind someone else racing with your Samanayr(s), just post here or send me a pm to volunteer them and I will add them to the list.
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Registered Racers:

Ground:
Image - 084, oakleafwolf
Image - 551, Kagari
Image - 391, Esperanza
Image - 729, PoisonedPromise
Image - 570, tbris
Image - 723, Aranea
Image - 509, Bluestarwolf12
Image - 766, Willow
Image - 231, Novanight
Image - 760, LBPheonix

Water:
Image - 471, Origami_Dragon
Image - 503, Echos
Image - 600, Pathos
Image - 497, AsaraDragon
Image - 771, Rekyrem
Image - 632, Puuka
Image - 727, Zinct
Image - 663, superdoug
Image - 764, RikkuGirl
Image - 480, Jennalyn

Triathlon:
ImageImageImage - Unrelated Action (510, Orasteele; 512, Ogre; 109 Britain)
ImageImageImage - Team Raceayr Strike (189, CosmicDragon; 190, cassiadawn; 525, Janalee)
ImageImageImage - Speed Racers (769, Delicious; 292, Tervenna; 711, LvSoulFriend)
ImageImageImage - The Typist Trio (599, Pristine ; 459, HybridSiren; 377 Sakina)
ImageImageImage - Random (515, Tasmen; 633, Yuiven; 342, Jennalyn)
ImageImageImage - Random 2 (602, Pathos; 534, amazondreamer; 339, Origami_Dragon)

Results:
Ground
First: Image Kagari's Sentry
Second: Image Aranea's Charge
Third: Image PoisonedPromise's Patter

Water
First: Image Echos' Crescendo
Second: Image AsaraDragon's Lagoon
Third: Image Origami_Dragon's Jewel

Triathlon
First: ImageImageImage Speed Racers
Second: ImageImageImage Typist Trio
Third: ImageImageImage Random 1
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Water course! Exciting! Been wanting to see one of those for awhile now! I know which race I'm going to try and get entered in! *sends Jewel off to try-outs*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Ooooo!

Anyone interested in the triathalon? I think my Mystic boy wants to do that XD Failing to find a team, he's thinking about the flying course, haha!
Esperanza
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Deserts & Illiayrs

Post by Esperanza »

I'm looking for two other triathalon team mates. I'm going to enter my little Drowse in the flying course, sooo. c:
Tervenna
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Tervenna »

I wouldn't mind joining someone's triathlon team. I have no aquatics, so ground or air would be the best options!

Ground racer will be Mirage of the Flowering Oasis, if anyone would like her on their team. Not sure who I'd be using if someone needs a flyer, but since the two looking so far are flyers, I don't think that should be an issue XD

Let me know if anyone is interested (replies/PMs here or PI work XD)
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Mystic is quite interested Tervenna XD
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ LvSoulFriend - There isn't a flying course this time, only a flying portion of the triathlon which is where the team comes in.
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Aha

I can read >>
Pristine
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Pristine »

I'd also love to try to get into the triathlon, and I have a couple Sams I think would be good for the Land portion... Determination and Calm. Determination seems a good choice, but I'm looking forward to breeding Calm and a medal for her might be nice... XD;;;

I can be PMed here or on PI. I'll be checking back into the thread tomorrow >.>
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

Silver, I'm a little confused with registration. We can only enter one sam in the entire event correct? And then the entrants for each individual race will be determined randomly?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

Anybody who wants to use one of my Sams in a team, please just lemme know! <3 I think the only two I wouldn't want to use are Zephyr and Dance, as they already have race ribbons. Any of the others are fair game! Just PM meeeee. *gives loves*

http://samanayrs.net/displaySearch.php?Owner=Jennalyn
Tervenna
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Tervenna »

I'm good with that, Lv; so we're now looking for an aquatic-ish member for our third?
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Yes, and I had an offer for one XD Unfortunately, he was a magical species, and my Mystic filled that spot. Hah.

>>

Anyone have a water sam they want on a team?
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ Echos - Yes, you may only enter one Samanayr in the entire event.
- For the regular two races, ground and water, Samanayrs will be picked randomly from the entries to each category. So 10 Samanayrs from all those that entered for the ground race and 10 Samanayrs from all those that entered for the water race.
- For the triathlon, it will be based on teams. So 6 teams will be chosen from all the teams that entered the triathlon.
Echos
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Echos »

Got it, thanks. I'll be entering Cres in the aquatic race then :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Whoo! Got my team put together! Now to just come up with a team name!
HybridSiren
The Resident Linkin Park Fangirl
Favorite Sam species: Illiayr

Post by HybridSiren »

Does any one need a sam for the flying and/or ground portion of a team?
ImageImage

Fear and Crunch would both love to try and be a part of a team, if not, Crunch is planning on just entering the ground race on her own. Anyone interested in either for a team?
[he/they]
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Any of mine (other than Fathom) are available for someone else to use/enter if they need a sam. :D
Delicious
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Delicious »

Pearl, Incinerate, and tentatively named Crash are interested in Triathalon groups...

LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Pearl or Crash(?) would be welcome to join Mirage and my Mystic boy!

Sorry Incinerate, you'd not be able to do the water portion *hides*
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

Are the medals bound to the sam that wins it? or can they be equipped by others?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler

Post by LvSoulFriend »

They have to be equipped to the one that won it.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Medals are bound the the Sam that wins them. No other Sam will be allowed to equip them. Hence the last question on the entry form.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image