Presenting multi-stage growing Sams!

Your place to discuss very serious Samanayr-related issues. Because Samanayrs are always serious. Always.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Presenting multi-stage growing Sams!

Post by Sushidragon »

Half the fun of breeding is watching the Sams grow from teeny little foals into full-fledged adults, right? What if you could help to influence the appearance and personality of your Sam's adult stage, maybe even get it some accessories or a pet, and have an extra growth stage added in as well?

Growing multi-stage Sams give you all of that :D They go through three stages -foal, yearling, adult - and can be influenced through writing, RP, and art! Unlike regular growing Sams, I don't draw the adult stage at the same time as the foal. I start with the foal, then move on to yearling once the growth requirement has been met, and finally adult when the yearling growth requirement is met! Really attached to one of the earlier growth stages? Your Sam can stay there indefinitely!

Stages & example

Here's some more detailed info on how this works, with examples :D
Foal stage
The first stage for your Sam! Adorable and roly-poly pudgy, foals don't necessarily show all of the colors, paterns, or traits that they'll have as an adult. The minimum growth requirement to grow to a yearling is one finished RP, story, or image.

Our sample Sam appears to have the feathered wings, tuftless, and bob tail traits.
Yearling stage
Aww, the awkward adolescent stage. Samanayrs are named when they're a year old and undergo their yearling shed, showing their adult colors and markings as their adult coat grows in. The minimum growth requirement to grow to an adult is two finished RPs, stories, and/or images.

Our example Sam is still undergoing his yearling shed, but he's got some stripes showing through now! It looks like his wings are a draconic-feathered combination, and he's sprouted some horns! More of his personality is showing through and it looks as though he's got some mischief in him - where did that feather come from?!
Adult stage
The last growth stage.. for now :D An adult Samanayr shows all of its colors, markings, and traits, and is able to join Songs and have foals!

Oh my, it looks like our example Sam has been through a rough time. Perhaps he was attacked by an Oquiesa or Sa'krien, or maybe even captured by humans or Kysians? In any case, he shows some scarring on his leg and face and a broken horn, and who knows what might be under that cloth cap.. He also sports a necklace with several large fangs hanging from it.

Our example Sam is an example of the kind of dramatic changes that can take place with proper care and feeding of your multi-stage Sam :D Of course, if you'd prefer your Sam didn't go through such drastic changes, it can live a sedate and quiet life instead. Or somewhere in between. It's up to you!

Character profile

You must create and update a character profile for your Sam:

http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=28

If you'd prefer to keep your growing Sam seperate from your other Sam profiles, you can create a new post specifically for your growing Sam.

Minimum growth requirements

You do need to put in a little effort if you'd like your Sam to grow. It can remain as a foal or yearling indefinitely, but it won't be able to breed until it's an adult.

To grow your Sam, you need to create either a finished RP, story, or picture (or two for adult to yearling). It should include information about the Sam's personality and ideally take place at a pivotal point in the Sam's life at that stage. When your Sam grows, its next stage will reflect the event(s) that took place in the piece(s) you created.

Effort does count! The more effort you put into your work, the more likely it is that your Sam will display additional traits, new accessories, pets, new abilities, a job, or maybe even a Samanayr companion. However, you can't say outright "My Samanayr got an Oquiesa/fifty billion wings/a full Song of mares with super awesome traits" XD If you are aiming to, for example, get your Samanayr an Oquiesa pet, you could write a story where they hang out with a local Pet Tamer and learn how they handle Oquiesas. This won't guarantee your Samanayr gets an Oquiesa, of course, but it could end up with something like the Pet Tamer job or an Oquiesa-themed accessory set.

There's no time limit on how long you can take to grow your Sam except that it must remain at each stage for at least a week.

All work relating to your Sam can either be posted on the art and writing board, the RP board, and/or your Sam's profile post:

Art and writing - http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=23
RP - http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=19

Additional growth work

If you'd like, you're welcome to do extra art/RP/writing than the minimum required to further expand on your foal's character. Sketches, short RPs, drabbles, short stories, and that kind of thing all help! As with the minimum requirement work, it all helps to determine how your Samanayr will develop and grow.

Growing your Sam

How exciting, your Sam is ready to move on to its next stage of life :D When the growth requirements have been met, just make a post on the 'do stuff for me!' board. You can see the form you have to fill out in this post:

http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1736

--

So there you have it, the basic info for growing Sams :D Let's have some FAQs too!

Do I have to do all of this stuff to grow all of my foals now?
Nope, this only applies to Sams specifically designated to be multi-stage Sams. Foals obtained through breeding seasons, breeding tokens, and other events will still grow automatically and with no input required from you!

Can I tell you exactly how I'd like my Sam to develop?
You can certainly influence how it will grow, but you can't tell me something like 'it should have seraphim and fifty dragonets and be a magician and have intricate pink markings' XD Your Sam will grow based on the events that take place in the writing, RP, and/or art you do for it.

I can't do writing, art, or RP!
Sure you can! Remember that we're not looking for the best artists, writers, or roleplayers, it's all about how much effort you put into the work for your Sam. Since there's no maximum time limit, you can also work at your own pace and not worry that you'll lose your Sam or something like that.

If my multi-stage Sam has a foal, will it be a multi-stage Sam as well?
Not necessarily. If it has a foal through a regular breeding it'll be a typical foal-to-adult Sam that grows automatically. There will be special breedings to produce multi-stage foals.

Once I've submitted my growth application, how long will it take my Sam to grow?
That depends on how much work I have to do already. It could be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, but I'll try to get to it as soon as I can!

How many multi-stage Sams can there be at a time?
I don't want to give a firm limit, since there could be multi-stage Sams who won't grow for a while or others that will be remaining at that stage. We'll see how things go!

Can I have more than one multi-stage Sam on the go at a time?
Sure!

--

The example Sam, Frenzy, is looking for a home!
http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1753

Interested in owning a multi-stage Sam? Enter the draw to get one of the first - designed by you!
http://samanayrs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1754
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Re: Presenting multi-stage growing Sams!

Post by Seren »

O_O

Sushi, you are amazing.
This is such a fantastic idea! :D

Seriously, now I'm all hyper, but this is amazing, and so much fun, as I love drawing, writing, and roleplaying, this is a really well thought out and intricate idea, and I love that little growing Sam you had as an example!
Signature under construction!
zelda324
Yearling
Yearling

Post by zelda324 »

This is a cool idea, I like to draw and would probably draw up something more so that write but im sure I would write or rp at some point if I ever got one of these guys ^^

I am pretty excited to see what all happens here!^^
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Is it possible for our foals to just grow regularly, like they did last season? Or is this now what we have to do to grow any future foals?

It sounds exciting and fun, but I do any of what's required for them >> If this is a mandatory thing to do from now on, I'm not exactly pleased >>
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

Ohoho. I remember the previous version of this! My Cloud was one of these <3

EXCITING.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

@LvSoulFriend - This is definitely not for every foal, things like breeding seasons are enough work already without adding an extra stage on top of that XD Multi-stage foals need to be applied for specifically and every other foal will grow normally and without input required from the owner. I actually address this point in the FAQ too since I didn't want to worry people!

@Britain - I'm really looking forward to trying this again now that, you know, I actually have a work ethic XD
Image Image

LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

Oh! Okay then XD Nevermind me then XD Apparently I fail at reading.
Britain
Valentine Key
Favorite Sam species: Northern!

Post by Britain »

LOl work ethic. XDD

The minimum requirements help enormously. I thought that was one of the most brilliant changes to the 'growing pet' environment.
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

Shushi you blew my mind with the intricateness of it all!
Totally love the idea though!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SunBlind
Mystic
Mystic

Post by SunBlind »

This is so cool, brings back such memories of the Orchard where we used to RP our crits, or make elaborate pages to earn the right to adopt one creature or another. This sounds like a lot of fun!
Stallions
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mares
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

This is so interesting and unique! I love the idea and cant wait to see how this goes! :D <3
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

I am just SO EXCITED FOR THIS, you have no ideeeeeea. :D
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

Oh Jennalyn, I have an idea!

I'm so hyped for this. >> This'll be great for my writing/roleplaying/drawing skills!
Signature under construction!
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

This is awesome! I can't wait until I eventually get one of these!
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Question...on my little Mystic girl, is her element already determined? Or will it be determined by her RPs etc and set when she hits yearling? I know Mystic names reflect their elements, and while I'm not planning to grow her anytime soon I just wanted to check if she had an element already or not. And if it will be set by the pieces I submit, would I be able to find out what it was before naming her so that her name can fit with it?

Thanks Sushi!

These should be lots of fun and I'm very much looking forwards to seeing them pop up and develop!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Good question, I was wondering that too...when they actually start to use magic. :3

This is such a cool idea. I can't wait to get one! My sam will have many adventures and wouldn't grow for a while XD

I can't wait to read em all
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

@ Ori - I asked Sushi a similar question when I was coming up with my design:
I'm currently working on my foal design, and if we choose mystic as the species, is their magic type determined at birth? so we can therefore specify it in our design?
You can specify it!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Magic is determined right from the get-go, although they don't begin to use it in any meaningful way until they get close to yearling age. At the foal stage their magic 'marker' (eg Mystic strands, back mane) is a solid color but it still reflects their magic type :D

Fire - Usually red, sometimes orange or yellow
Earth - Brown or green
Air - Pale blue, white, or grey
Water - Blue or purple

Your little gal is an air Mystic :D
Image Image

Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Good to know and that's the element I was aiming for when I wrote her form! Thanks Sushi!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image