Interactive Races!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Interactive Races!

Post by silvermoondragon »

ImageImageImage
Welcome to the November Races. Have you ever wanted to influence how your Samanayr races other than just cheering him or her on? Well now you can! In the spirit of NaNoWriMo, we will be having an Interactive Race this month! This will be the first time having an interactive race so hopefully everything will run smoothly and according to plan.

How Racing Works

There will be only one course this time. It will be a basic ground race, but you will have to option to interact and somewhat control how your Samanayr races. The course is 30 spaces long, and has several obstacles the racers must get through, over, around, or under.

Every round, a d6 (six-sided die) will be rolled for each racer. The number rolled determines how many spaces the racer goes forward, and the first Samanayr to the finish line is the winner! There are also prizes for the second and third Sams.

New Rules for Interactive Race

This race will run much slower than usual, with each round taking a hour to complete(unless everyone responds before the hour is up)
So what do you have to do? Each round, you can choose a movement type for your Samanayr:
- Easy (slow movement of either 1,2,3 but with a +5 bonus to any obstacles your Samanayr comes across during this round, +1 endurance for future obstacles)
- Normal (default movement, movement from 1-6 with no bonuses or disadvantages)
- Hard(fast movement of either 4,5,6 but with -5 bonus to any obstacles your Samanayr comes across during this round, small chance of tripping/no movement)

So how do you choose how to race? It’s easy, just post your movement type in bold. You can get as “in-character” as you like, here are some example responses:
"easy"
"Race of the Racing Racer takes it easy this round"
"Race looked around at the other Samanayrs running their fastest and decided she would take it easy, slow and steady wins the race. Besides, this way she could watch and learn from their mistakes"

If you won’t be around at the time of the races and your Samanayr is racing, or have to leave during the race(for more than an hour), don’t despair. Your Samanayr can still race, it will just default to the normal movement role, working exactly like a normal race would. You can jump in at any point.
However, if you can, please let me know you won’t be around for a bit so we can continue the race without waiting for your response.

The races will be run here on the forum, Nov 27 8amPST, 11am EST

Obstacles

Each course will have a number of obstacles to get through. When a Samanayr reaches an obstacle, a d20 (20-sided die) will be rolled for them. Each obstacle has a number from 1 to 20, based on its difficulty, and the racer's roll must match or beat that number to successfully cross the obstacle.

Until the Samanayr is able to pass the obstacle, they will not move forward. If they successfully pass the obstacle, they will get a regular movement roll that round. If they encounter the obstacle in the middle of regular movement and successfully pass it on the same turn, they will continue forward normally.

If a Samanayr isn't able to pass an obstacle after three tries, they will pass it automatically after the third attempt and keep moving forward on their next turn.

New Rules for Interactive Race
- Depending on your movement type, you can receive either a +5, -5, or 0 bonus for obstacles(see above) you come across on your turn.
- If you have endurance saved up from previous rounds of slow movement, each point will give you a +1 to get over an obstacle. If the endurance points are needed to get over the obstacle, they will be used up; otherwise, they are saved for the next obstacle.
- If stuck at an obstacle(i.e were unable to pass on the round before), you may write up a little response if you’d like. This is NOT required, but you may receive a few bonus points for getting past the obstacle that turn.

Traits Matter!

A Samanayr's features and traits can give it bonuses or penalties to regular movement and obstacle rolls. The trick is that you won't know what affect your Sam's traits will have before the race starts! Here's some examples:

- A Samanayr with the 'fluffy' or 'extensive tufts' trait will be encumbered by that extra fur, and receive a -1 penalty to each regular movement roll.
- A Samanayr with very long legs is able to leap over obstacles easily, and it will receive a +5 bonus to obstacle rolls that require going over something.
- A Samanayr with the 'butterfly wings' trait will need to be careful going through a dense bramble patch, and will receive a -10 penalty to the roll for that obstacle.
- A water Mystic would be able to gauge the currents and depths of a stream easily, giving it a +10 bonus for any obstacles requiring crossing water.

In the future, you might learn what the obstacles are before a race and be able to choose your Sam accordingly, but for now they're going into the courses blind. Good luck

Terrain

Although these races are pretty straightforward terrain-wise, in the future the terrain itself will play a part in a Samanayr's movement roll. For example, if a course was over sandy terrain, the Desert Samanayrs would have a clear advantage and receive a +1 bonus to each roll.

Prizes!

The best part, of course. Prizes will be assigned to the first, second, and third place racers in each race. The main prize for each place is a gold, silver, or bronze medal. You'll receive a pixel version of your medal for your Samanayrs webpage inventory, but if you choose to equip your medal, it will also appear on your Samanayr's image! The medal itself will be the color they placed, but you can choose the ribbon color.

Medals are special items and can only be equipped to the Samanayr that won it. If you're borrowing a Samanayr from someone else, you'll receive the pixel medal image for your inventory, but you won't be able to equip it to the winning Samanayr unless you give the medal to the Samanayr's owner.

For now, a Samanayr can only wear one medal at a time, but medals can be equipped and unequipped. There is also no limit to how many medals a Samanayr can win!

First place
- Gold medal (25% chance any offspring will be twins)
- One modiem of choice
- One random modiem

Second place
- Silver medal (gives a 20% bonus to breeding)
- One modiem of choice

Third place
- Bronze medal (gives a 10% bonus to breeding)
- One random modiem

Rules

Is your Samanayr all pumped up and ready to race? Good! Just make sure you read this important information first:

- Each person is allowed to enter one Samanayr per racing event (not one Samanayr per race).
- If you don't own a Samanayr but would like to participate, you may apply using someone else's Samanayr as long as you have the owner's permission. Please see the information under 'prizes' for what will happen if your borrowed Samanayr receives a medal. There is more information at the bottom for non-owners, as well as a list of Samanayrs available for use.
- In the event of a tie, there will be a roll-off between those Samanayrs to see who crosses first.

Apply to Race

There is only one race to choose from this time:

Ground

A simple ground course through a meadow of rolling hills. Samanayrs who want to enter the ground races must be able to move along the ground. Flying is not permitted on this course.

There are 10 spots open for this race.

Racing applications will be open from Nov 25, 8am PST, 11amEST, and will be open until Nov 26, 8am PST, 11amEST. The race itself will start Nov 27 8amPST, 11am EST. Race Spots will be given randomly to everyone who enters. To apply for a race spot, send a PM to my account, silvermoondragon, either on the forum or PI(pm’s sent to Sushidragon may get missed or you may miss getting the spot you want), with the subject being Samanayr Race and the following filled out:

Samanayr name:
Samanayr ID:
Do you think you will be around on the day of the race, Nov 27 8amPST, 11am EST?
How will you start off the race(easy, normal, hard)?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you have permission from the owner to use it?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you understand that any medals won cannot be equipped to it unless they're given to the Sam's owner?

Now, I know this is a little more complicated than some of the other races, so feel free to ask any questions here you may have.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Re: Interactive Races!

Non-Owner Information

For those of you who don’t yet have a Samanayr of your own, you’re welcome to borrow any of mine (click on the thumbnail for a larger image):
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Slash of the Apocalyptic Darkness
Skunk of the Dancing Sa'krien

And here is a list of Samanayrs that are also available for use.

CosmicDragon’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Valor of the Steady Stone

Seren’s Samanayrs:
Dive of the Melting Glacier

Orasteele’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Flash of the Summer Storm and those that already have a medal equipped

And if you have multiple Samanayrs or are not planning on racing yourself and wouldn’t mind someone else racing with your Samanayr(s), just post here or send me a pm to volunteer them and I will add them to the list.
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Registered Racers:

Image - RikkuGirl
Image - NightFlyer
Image - Origami_Dragon
Image - Puuka
Image - Orasteele
Image - Tasmen
Image - Yuiven
Image - CosmicDragon
Image - HybridSiren
Image - Bluestarwolf12
Results:
1st Image - Yuiven
2nd Image - Origami_Dragon
3rd Image - Puuka

Miss the race? Here's an animated GIF of the racers in action:
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

Ugh. I REALLY REALLY want to participate. But, I won't be here... So I'll give everyone else a better chance at the slots and not enter. *sigh* Maybe next time! This looks like it will be alot of fun. :D

Pride of the Misguided Arrow (755) and Dive of the Melting Glacier (801) are available if anyone would like to use them!

^__^ Good luck to all of you!
Signature under construction!
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ Seren - You don't have to be around, if you're not there you just end up racing like in a normal race with default roles and obstacle chances.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Oh, I know... however... since its an interactive race, I'd rather let people have a chance that will be around to actively participate, you know? X3 I may succumb to the temptation to register later, however, for now, I'm content with working on some other Sam-related projects. XD
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

No problem, I just wanted to make sure you knew that you could if you wanted :)
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

The racers for tomorrow have now been selected and the registered racers post has been updated with them.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

*covers ears as Trumpet bugles his triumph over making it to the field* Hope he's saving some breath to actually race with...

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Looking forwards to seeing how the interactive part of this will play out!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

Fwee! Good luck, everyone! (And Flash, your son will be hooting for you on the sidelines. ;))
Bluestarwolf12
Blue of the Howling Stars
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

Yay! Good luck everyone! :D
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

Yay!!! Crack is racing maybe her creepy look will distract her opponents :)

Crack says : Booooooo! *evil laugh*

Yes, and good luck!
Last edited by RikkuGirl on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Good luck all! Can't wait to come home and see the results and read people's choices! :D
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Rue: *twitches, hoping to put some distance between her and everysam else early on*

Hehe, I can't wait to play with her during the race... She's gets so uncomfortable being in close quarters with others. >:]
Only reason she's doing it is to 'prove' that she's strong enough to be in Cackle's song... And because Recline is doing it as well. XD
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

Flash: *carefully removes his strings of bells before the race and hands them over to his son to guard over.* That way they don't get caught up on anything. ^_~

Woo! This is going to be fun!
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

A line of ten Samanayrs stands ready before a meadow of rolling hills, waiting for the Sharian's signal to begin the race.

Image - RikkuGirl
Image - NightFlyer
Image - Origami_Dragon
Image - Puuka
Image - Orasteele
Image - Tasmen
Image - Yuiven
Image - CosmicDragon
Image - HybridSiren
Image - Bluestarwolf12

The first round, which I will be posting in a few minutes will be using the choices sent in on sign-up forms.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

Wooooohooooo! Go crack go!
My Sams!

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Round 1 - and they're off!

Crack - Normal
Flight - Easy, 1 endurance
Trumpet - Hard
Healer - Normal
Flash - Hard
Recline - Easy, 1 endurance
Flyssa - Easy, 1 endurance
Rue - Hard
Crunch - Normal
Slice - Hard

You now have 1 hour to put in your responses. Unless everyone responds before the hour is up.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Trumpet pawed anxiously at the ground, eagerly awaiting the sounding of the signal to run. This was it, this was his chance to go forth and show himself off for the ladies. Don't flub this, he thought to himself, only to follow it up instantly with, Not that such a fine fellow as yourself ever would. Caught up in preening for a moment he almost missed the start.

Stung by the call he leapt forwards, surging with the rest of the racers. To his joy, those on either side of him were swiftly overtaken, though further down the line he could see others just as far into these rolling hills as he was. Snorting, the stallion glanced sidelong over at his nearest competitor, a lovely little mare. With a grin he settled into a normal pace for the next stretch, the better to show himself off for a bit.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Orasteele
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Misery

Post by Orasteele »

At the sound of the start Flash ran forward like his name. The competition was fierce as he ran head to head with several others along the predetermined path. Spotting his son on the sidelines he let out a yell and pushed forward till he was out of sight of the small foal. His dam would move them further down the line, but for now he could ease up a bit. Soon there would be things besides speed that he'd need to cross. Settling into a normal pace he moved on, content to save his breath for the home stretch.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

The sound of the pop gun gave Crack a shiver down her spine. With the pop, she was off to a simple normal start. After gaining a few paces she started to notice others getting ahead of her. Though her competitive spirit is growing, she decides to keep at her NORMAL PACE, not slowing up or going harder. She continues to pace down the track ready for the first obsticle. Her heart beats wildy as she invisions clearing her first obsticle, she is fully focused and ready!
My Sams!

Bluestarwolf12
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

To say that Slice had been practicing for the next official race would be a bit of an understatement; winning this was currently his number one goal in life. Three of his four lovely ladies had race medals, and as the stallion of his Song, though quite proud of him, was quickly losing the respect that he needed to keep the Song together. He needed to win this, needed to prove himself.

Of course, the stallion had been rather amused to discover that they had placed him on the farthest side of the track as possible, as though they'd remembered he and his Song from last time. A few spaces down stood another Sa'Krien, alongside a rather poisonous and pointy looking lady. Ah, if only his Song were not full. Then he would have yet another reason to win.

The starting sound came just as he returned his focus back to the track, causing him to leap from the starting line along with the other competitors. He would be running the first stretch as hard as he could, at least until he hit the obstacles. He couldn't see any such objects yet, but if any were to arise... Slice slowed back to a Normal pace for this bit. No need to be caught off guard and risk losing his lead.
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

Even on the starting line, Rue had to fight not to pace... The many poison-tipped limbs she bore twitched, a sign of the strength she exerted in keeping them still above all else. She did not like being in close quarters such as this at the best of times, and was quickly beginning to doubt the wisdom of this 'spontaneous' decision to race. What was it for, anyway? Her stallion did not value speed; he prized the ability to defend oneself. Likely this wouldn't raise her in his esteem at all.

So distracted were the mare's thoughts that the signal almost snapped her concentration, the poised wing-spurs flicking out dangerously even as she leapt to move. If she was going to do this, then she would do it properly... Second guessing be darned. All her attention was quickly put to getting as much distance between herself and the other racers as possible. But oh, they were fast. Even though some were quickly outpaced, others still remained neck and neck, far to close for comfort. The dark-but-intruiging one ahead of her she would consider when she came to it, but for now- her curved talons dug furrows in the ground as she sprang forward, running Hard to put distance between them.
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
Yuiven
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Yuiven »

No doubt, we're going to be in for quite a race. Best of luck to all of today’s competitors! ^_^b

Every now and then, Flyssa of the Lost Traditions gave a cold, calculating stare at the competition in the nine other randomly-selected Samanayrs through the corners of her eyes as she strode purposefully towards the starting line for today's official race. Taking up a post position side by side, in close quarters between a poisoned-limbed mare on her right and an armoured mare on her left, the young Sa'krien mare anxiously pawed her clawed toes, her crimson eyes were alert and keen, her ears flattened, but not in fear, as she waited for the sounding of the signal to run.

There was a one in ten chance of winning. Even though she had only raced twice, Flyssa believed she knew the game already. In such a situation as that in which she suddenly found herself, the best option is usually the one which will surprise the most Samanayrs.

At the sound of the start, she bunched the muscles in her sleek body tightly, straining against the natural impulsion, defiantly ignoring that upsurge of adrenaline coursing in her veins as Flyssa charged with the rest of the racers to spring to the lead. Playing on the average equine herd instinct, the huntress broke somewhere in the middle of the pack, while the rest of the field organized itself around her. Comfortable where she was, Flyssa picked up the pace, only a little, in order to maintain a more normal speed behind the pacesetters.

After all, this race had only just begun. Flyssa knew she had to pace herself as everybody was galloping throughout these rolling hills. There were still obstacles to face further down along their pre-determined path. Inevitably, someone was bound to trip up, and then, one-by-one, she would pick them off.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Round 2 - the first obstacles appear!

Crack - Normal
Flight - Normal, 1 endurance
Trumpet - Normal
Healer - Normal
Flash - Normal
Recline - Normal, 1 endurance, flies past the territorial ground squirrels
Flyssa -Normal, 1 endurance, flies past the territorial ground squirrels
Rue – Hard, flies past the territorial ground squirrels but gets caught up on the ground squirrel holes
Crunch – Normal, flies past the territorial ground squirrels
Slice - Normal

You have 1 hour to put in your responses. Unless everyone responds before the hour is up.