Need Someone to Talk At?

Talk about anything you want here.
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Need Someone to Talk At?

Post by Nako »

I notice that I'm very, very bad at 'waiting for my turn to talk' instead of actually listening. Well, the best way to get good habits is to practice them, right? Well, talk at me. Ask my advice on something, ask me what I think about one of your sams (Everyone needs random praise now and then) Brag to me. Rant. Doesn't matter. Talk at me, and I will respond to you. 8D If you need a prompt just let me know. I'll give you one.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Re: Need Someone to Talk At?

Post by Seren »

*coughs* Well, since no one else has commented, why not? *shrugs*

Alright all-knowing Nako, how would you suggest I tell my parents something important, that they probably won't like, but is important to my happiness?

XD I feel really embarrassed. *raises hand to cover blush*

Also, what do you think of Dive? She's 801.

That enough material to start with? XD
Signature under construction!
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Seren wrote:*coughs* Well, since no one else has commented, why not? *shrugs*

Alright all-knowing Nako, how would you suggest I tell my parents something important, that they probably won't like, but is important to my happiness?

XD I feel really embarrassed. *raises hand to cover blush*

Also, what do you think of Dive? She's 801.

That enough material to start with? XD
That's a very good, and very loaded question, Seren 8D Lets see if I can help.

First off, you have to ask yourself if you are in a position to deal with the repercussions of whether they know or not. If it's something that you cannot hide (Like uh... STD, pregnancy), then it's best to get it over with. First and foremost, be mature about it. Speak to them honestly and candidly and accept the repercussions with dignity. If you've done something outright bad.. take the punishment. You screwed up. It sucks.. but yeah. It happens. But I get a feeling it might not be any of these things.

There are certain things that family will NOT like to hear. These things might affect who we are able to date openly... what we worship.. etc. Ask yourself... is it REALLY important. Also, if you haven't moved out yet, ask yourself if it's something that can wait till you move out and don't have to rely on them for anything. I'd say though that if you don't think they'll send you to get an exorcism or send you to 'straight camp' or something insane... If you truly think your parents will accept what you have to tell them. Might be good to tell em.

But I told my mom something once. She didn't like it. It took her years to get over it. In retrospect I might have gotten away with not telling her. But then again the after effects weren't really bad enough to make me regret it. It's a judgement call. Risk vs. Reward.

WHATEVER you choose to do, do it with dignity, humility, and maturity. Don't get into a yelling fight. It'll give them ammo against you. Stick to your convictions, but be respectful. It'll go a loooong way.

And Dive:

Dawwww, so cute! I really like the color scheme and the pose is really interesting. She has such a determined expression. I bet she gets into all kinds of shenanigans XD That red bit on her wings is such a nice touch. It takes an already pretty color scheme and makes it really pop. I'm a sucker for dual colored manes and tails too, so she's particularly darling in my eyes for that. I'm SO digging that tail. So much. Do you rp her at all? I haven't rped on here yet.. and really wouldn't know where to start. lol.
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

What should I make for side dishes for Christmas dinner? My future mother-in-law is coming to our home for the holidays, and it'll just be the three of us. I think we’ve settled on a small turkey for the entre (though ham was considered as well), but what to go with it?
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Thank you for your advice Nako!

No, it’s not pregnancy, STD, or anything along that. Actually (not trying to blow my own horn) but I think I’m a pretty good kid. I don’t swear (in front of my parents or other family members ^__^;;;), I don’t party, and when I do go somewhere it’s with their permission. I don’t do drugs, sleep with people, don’t drink.

You hit the nail on the head, my dear. My parents are, to say it the best way I can, “extreme Christians”. And there’s nothing WRONG with that, its simply that no matter how hard I’ve tried, I’ve never been able to believe that. As for “straight camp” well.. I’m not gay… but I think they think that I am, and I’m worried that they’re going to take away my contact with my best friend. All of this is important to me, it’s my life, why should I spend it miserable because of them, however, I know I need their support to get through college (I’m a junior in high school.)

I don’t think they’d accept any of that. They’d play guilt trips, or take away my contact with my friends, or crack down on me even more. I don’t want to be some rebellious teen, I don’t WANT to make anyone unhappy or upset, or make my family upset, but I don’t want to miserable, you know? And it’s hard to feel like I can’t connect with my parents. At all.
They’re really… judgmental… and we’ve fought in the past, they get mad at me for stupid minor things already. Like not doing the dishes right.

Should I stick it out for a few more years?

I appreciate your advice though, truly, if I do bring it up, then I really will make sure to approach it carefully and maturely. If I come across as a whiny teen, they’d just dismiss what I have to say as me being difficult. You’re very right. :)

On a lighter note, thank you! Sushi did a great job, and yes, she is quite the little daredevil. X3 Nuts, actually.

<3 I do rp her, and if you’d be interested, I’d love to rp. ^__^ I have a stallion as well, and Dapples has a mare she actually wants to start roleplaying as well. Just tell me, I’d be glad to start a thread sometime! :D Your mare is adorable <3
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

amazondreamer wrote:What should I make for side dishes for Christmas dinner? My future mother-in-law is coming to our home for the holidays, and it'll just be the three of us. I think we’ve settled on a small turkey for the entre (though ham was considered as well), but what to go with it?

Oooh, it's always tough to sort out Christmas dinner. There are so many options, and often not enough people to justify cooking them.

The big question is if your family has any allergies, diabetes, or if you're on a diet. This can drastically change how you want to eat for the holidays.

Key component:

If you're going with turkey and you're not frying it, I'd suggest a gravy. I know there are some people who say you can cook a turkey and have it moist. I… just haven't seen that done yet. A turkey based gravy would be best.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/re ... gravy.html This is an example of a recipe, but I have not tried this recipe and cannot vouch for if it is good or not.

To Starch, or not to Starch

The biggest issue here is that starch is pretty much just made up of sugar. Which means, once it breaks down in your stomach and small intestine.. well, you might as well have just drank a BIG OL soda. Now, if you're like me. I love starches. I still eat starch no matter what people say about how bad it is for me. Ahahaha oh sweet bread and potatoes, how I love thee!

Speaking of Potatoes…
You can go the mashed route, but I find that it's hard to get a lot of flavor into mashed potatoes without either dousing it with gravy or lots of cream and butter. Someone told me a trick about putting ranch dressing into potatoes to give them a delicious flavor, but I would experiment with this a bit before trying it on Christmas day. You would use milk or heavy cream, butter, and salt (The amount of salt depending on whether your butter was unsalted or not) If you're going to try adding ranch, don't add salt until you get it how you like it with the ranch. you're gonna have to experiment with this one. XD

A healthier alternative is roasted potatoes. These are ridiculously easy. You take those little red fingerling potatoes and wash them up real good. Then add olive oil to a bowl, enough to coat the potatoes. Then add rosemary, Sage and Thyme and coarse kosher salt. Don't add a -ton- of salt. I learned that the hard way. Just enough so that there are a nice spattering of salt crystals on the potatoes. Maybe pop a little black pepper on there too, for a little extra something. Throw your washed potatoes into the bowl of all this stuff and coat them thoroughly. These are rather simple, but if you love the taste of potatoes then you'll not be disappointed. Leave the skin on, and eat it. It's the best part.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyle ... index.html This is the recipe I went with for the potatoes, but I didn't add garlic because I didn't feel like mincing, and I refuse to crush garlic any more.

There's always Rice…

Lets face it. Rice is one of those things that just goes well with birds. I myself get a little bored of it if it's not in a stir fry myself. But, if you like mushrooms, a cousin of mine made a recipe quite recently that I loved.

Mushroom Rice
5 Tbs Butter
1Cup Mushrooms (I'd imagine any kind would do. Go with your favorite. I bet portabello would make it taste quite meaty,but might be a little strong. I think the typical 'white button' mushrooms is what my cousin used. It's what is most commonly used around here, I think.
1Cup Onions (Chopped)
1 Cup Rice (Long Grain)
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can Beef Consume'

Sautee mushrooms and onions for 3-5 minutes, and add rice. Sautee for three more minutes (This is to give the rice a bit of a roast, and to absorb the mushroom and onion flavors)

Stir in Soup and Consume'

Cover and Back at 350 Degrees Fahrenheit for 45-60 minutes. Check after 30 minutes to see if it is drying out. If it is, add a bit of boiling water and stir it in to moisten it back up. (Not sure about this part. I wouldn't add more than a fourth of a cup myself… I'd experiment with this before christmas dinner to get a feel for it.)

Slightly less Carbolicious Options

Broccoli -- Steamed with cheese
Used in a Quiche
Soup
Broccoli Almondine --Toss steamed broccoli with butter and fresh lemon juice; sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds. 

Collard Greens -- Creamed
Boiled down soft with salt and ham hock. Soaking collards in a salt brine a few hours before cooking helps with flavor.

---------

Is that a good start, or do you need more? Just let me know what sort of vegetables you are interested in and I'll do some footwork to find more info for you.
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Seren wrote:.....

Should I stick it out for a few more years?

I appreciate your advice though, truly, if I do bring it up, then I really will make sure to approach it carefully and maturely. If I come across as a whiny teen, they’d just dismiss what I have to say as me being difficult. You’re very right. :)

On a lighter note, thank you! Sushi did a great job, and yes, she is quite the little daredevil. X3 Nuts, actually.

<3 I do rp her, and if you’d be interested, I’d love to rp. ^__^ I have a stallion as well, and Dapples has a mare she actually wants to start roleplaying as well. Just tell me, I’d be glad to start a thread sometime! :D Your mare is adorable <3
Yes, I would definitely say wait it out. Do what you can to show them that you aren't being influenced by your friends. (So, play the good Christian, even if you do not hold their beliefs) It's kind of painful to do if it's not in your heart to do so… It kind of feels that way no matter what.

As for the 'they might think you're gay, I like the excuse of 'I don't think I'm ready/old enough to date right now.' if you're not thinking of dating people at the moment. Perhaps become very casual friends with some guy from church. Just be seen talking to him by your parents (Make sure they approve of this guy.) They'll be so distracted by this that they might forget about your friend. Don't lead the guy on of course. Let him know you're not looking to date if it comes up. When it comes to having Christian family members, just keep your head down till you can get out into the world and have your own views (Even if they are still Christian views. Sounds like you're a bit less conservative) Faith is a ridiculously powerful thing. ((In retrospect, the 'talk to a guy at church' thing can get kind of risky. I'd be careful with that one.))

And for parents getting mad at things like not doing the dishes right… Parents get ridiculously stressed about things that probably have nothing to do with you. Don't let them treat you like a doormat, but if they're being snippy because they are being a grumpy ass, it's best just to let them take that ragetrain on down the road and past you. XD

And for Rping, that would be great! I'm going to be a little slow because of finals and stuff but I'd definitely give it a go. Is there a particular way that ams can get together and such? She's in a Song so I'm not sure if that limits her to where she can be at any given time.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

It's a rather confusing set up... Anyway, your advice is very good, I'll continue "play-acting" until I can put some space between us, perhaps once I move out we'll get on each other's nerves less and can come to an agreement of sorts.

Thank you so much Nako. ^__^ You're very helpful.

As for the Song, it depends on the stallion, your mare's stallion doesn't seem like he'd be too strict, mares can explore some on their own, though some stallions are more wary and protective than others. It's all up to you, send me a message when life opens up some, and we can definitely plan something out! :)
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

I want in on this.

Ask Nako anything game! :D I like... hmmm

Nako.

Why do they call it baby oil if its not made out of babies? O.o;; Most oils say what they are made out of... corn oil (made of corn), Olive oil (boom olives!) and vegie oilll sme thing! So ... why? D:

I just dont get it. :/

and and and...

why IS a raven like a writing desk... :/ *ponders*

halp! :D
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

RikkuGirl wrote:I want in on this.

Ask Nako anything game! :D I like... hmmm

Nako.

Why do they call it baby oil if its not made out of babies? O.o;; Most oils say what they are made out of... corn oil (made of corn), Olive oil (boom olives!) and vegie oilll sme thing! So ... why? D:

I just dont get it. :/

and and and...

why IS a raven like a writing desk... :/ *ponders*

halp! :D
Hm... Perhaps they move to another naming convention when they talk about 'living' things. Sure, plants are living but... I know the Japanese don't put them under the same verb conventions as living things so perhaps the English language does something similar in a more subtle way.

So.. Baby oil is something you put ON babies. Kind of like how you use Dog Shampoo on dogs. Or Turkey basters on turkeys.

OR. Maybe it is made of babies. Holy crap. Actually, 'Baby Oil' is a better marketing campaign than 'Liquid By-Product of The Distillation of Petrolium to Produce Gasoline Oil'

And to your other question... *does the futterwacken*
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Seren wrote:It's a rather confusing set up... Anyway, your advice is very good, I'll continue "play-acting" until I can put some space between us, perhaps once I move out we'll get on each other's nerves less and can come to an agreement of sorts.

Thank you so much Nako. ^__^ You're very helpful.

As for the Song, it depends on the stallion, your mare's stallion doesn't seem like he'd be too strict, mares can explore some on their own, though some stallions are more wary and protective than others. It's all up to you, send me a message when life opens up some, and we can definitely plan something out! :)
Sure thing! I'll give her stallion's owner a message eventually and figure out her 'home life', as it were.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

To butt in on the Christmas dinner side dishes, I have a yummy recipe for baked veggies in balsamic vinegar if you're interested. Super easy and delicious! The recipe calls for butternut squash, potatoes, pepper, and onion but substituting works well too.
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Sushidragon wrote:To butt in on the Christmas dinner side dishes, I have a yummy recipe for baked veggies in balsamic vinegar if you're interested. Super easy and delicious! The recipe calls for butternut squash, potatoes, pepper, and onion but substituting works well too.
I know that I'm interested, at least. I -love- getting new recipes. :D
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

XD yay! That was just great! :)

*dances*
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery

Post by amazondreamer »

The only food allergy in the family is Oak is allergic to sour cream and some buttermilk (not dairy in general, but bacterially processed dairy). We are trying to keep it a somewhat lean meal; the three of us are trying to drop weight. I’m not planning to go excessive with the diet food though, just looking for a balance.

The plan is to brine the turkey beforehand (Alton Brown style LINK, which will make the meat juicier but will render the drippings a veritable salt-lick, so gravy is out.

Mashed potatoes are classic, my personal variation is throwing a clove or two of garlic in while the potatoes boil. This lends a subtle flavor, but if I want a stronger garlic flavor I leave the cloves in and mash them right into the spuds. Ranch dressing is an interesting twist, and I may try that some time but I think the flavor might be too strong for Christmas dinner.

I’m right there with you, I’m a carb-o-holic, I could never do Atkins or any sort of low carb diet. Bread, pasta, rice… mmm so good. I might do a roast veggi medley, Oak has requested roasted beets (so good, very sweet when roasted), I might just add in carrots, parsnips and potatoes to round it out.

I love the mushroom rice recipe! It sounds just fabulous. Might try tinkering around with using brown rice instead, I love the nutty flavor. It’d probably need a longer cook time, but I should be able to work something out.

That’s a great start, and it’s helped to get me thinking in different directions. All I was coming up with before was thanksgiving dinner part II -_-

And Seren, I’m gonna chime in and agree that it’s better to just not rock the boat and keep your personal feelings about religion well, personal. I was basically in the same situation, and no good comes from a confrontation like that. They’re trying to do what’s best for you, and as long as you’re living under their roof it’s best to just respect their beliefs even if you don’t agree with them. Religion is a touchy subject for everyone, and it’s easy for any little disagreement to blow way out of proportion.
That being said, you are entitled to your own beliefs, and don’t get discouraged! Whether or not your parents ever respect your choices and beliefs, they are yours and no one else’s.
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

*blushes* Thanks amazon. I've decided to lay low, at least as long as things are bearable. (spelling? XD I'm an awful speller) Plus, with some issues with money at the moment, now would not be a good time.

Thank you for your advice and support <3 I appreciate it. Going to church and bible study won't kill me, and I don't want to make them unhappy. Danke shun again!
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Amazon:

Well, I'm glad I got the gears turning for sure. :D Brown rice definitely sounds good, like it'd pair with mushrooms better definitely. Let me know how it turns out if you ever try it. I'm going to have to try the garlic thing with the potatoes. Thomas always complains that I make the potatoes too bland.
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery

Post by amazondreamer »

Will do! I'm actually trying something very.... interesting for tomorrow night. When I was at the store today I saw a package of turkey necks, priced to move and I figured what the heck. Got them and did some poking around on the inter-webs for recopies and I'll be trying out this recipe. I've never eaten turkey neck before but they looked remarkably meaty. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

amazondreamer wrote:Will do! I'm actually trying something very.... interesting for tomorrow night. When I was at the store today I saw a package of turkey necks, priced to move and I figured what the heck. Got them and did some poking around on the inter-webs for recopies and I'll be trying out this recipe. I've never eaten turkey neck before but they looked remarkably meaty. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Duuuude.

I'd eat that. 8D
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

I'd totally eat that too, sounds like turkey soup XD Do let us know how it turns out! I keep seeing those necks in the store too..
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery

Post by amazondreamer »

Turkey necks turned out pretty good :) I made a few tweaks to the recipe, I started out by browning the necks in a frying pan with a little vegetable oil to add a little extra flavor. Deglazed the pan with water to get all the nummy brown bits dissolved then threw the necks, water and vegetables into the slow cooker. Cooked them on high for about four hours. Once the rice was done I made a bit of gravy from the stock that had cooked up (cooked butter and flour into a roux then added enough stock to thin it out. Season with salt and pepper), I didn't think the gravy turned out especially good but Oak liked it.

Overall the meal was tasty, the meat from the neck was really sweet and had a lot more flavor than I usually think of turkey having. It was the consistency of dark meat, and practically fell off the bone. I will say it's not a "tidy" meal to eat, you'll end up gnawing on the necks a bit, and the bones can fragment and chip. But absolutely something we'll do again.

Now I need to figure out what to do with a bunch of leftover turkey stock :)
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

Ohgod. Reading about turkey necks made me so hungry. SO HUNGRY. Now I'm going to go eat 8D

But it sounds like overall the meal was a success. I'm glad. Whether you thought the gravy was top notch or not, it sounds pretty darn good. I have a lot of difficulty making gravy myself so I commend anyone who can get that darn stuff to thicken XD
oakleafwolf
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayr!

Post by oakleafwolf »

RikkuGirl wrote: why IS a raven like a writing desk... :/ *ponders*

Belated joining the conversation but...

They both come with inky quills.

*Makes grandiose "your mind is blown" gestures and disappears!*
Nako
Samanayr
Samanayr

Post by Nako »

oakleafwolf wrote:
RikkuGirl wrote: why IS a raven like a writing desk... :/ *ponders*

Belated joining the conversation but...

They both come with inky quills.

*Makes grandiose "your mind is blown" gestures and disappears!*
Hm. Now that I know.. I kind of feel like someone has told me santa clause doesn't exist. Another beautiful mystery torn from my hands by the cold hard facts of life.

At least I still have magnets.
oakleafwolf
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayr!

Post by oakleafwolf »

Nako wrote: Hm. Now that I know.. I kind of feel like someone has told me santa clause doesn't exist. Another beautiful mystery torn from my hands by the cold hard facts of life.

At least I still have magnets.
The thing is though... Lewis Carroll originated the riddle and HE said there is no answer and wouldn't you all please stop bugging me about it?!?

When people read that passage in the book (or see it in the movie, I suppose) 80% of them hear the Hatter's glib response and say "haha, he's so crazy!" Another 15% feel disappointed that an author would include a riddle with no answer... and the remaining 5% of us are OCD control freaks who would freak out an be unable to leave their houses if something like that is left unfinished... so we invent responses.

I've also seen "Because neither are made from aluminum", "Because there is a B in both and an N in neither", "Because the notes for which they are noted are not musical notes", and "Because Poe wrote on both."

The real answer though, is that these answers and mine are like... bad fan-fic. The book didn't end that way, but someone just really wanted to see what the story would be like if the constable had turned out to be a werewolf and they all lived on the moon. We can be clever, we can be witty, but really... we're making stuff up.

Enjoy your quandry with the satisfaction of knowing that those of us who try to answer it are lesser mortals that would try to make Picasso photorealistic.