"Once upon a time.." - results!

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Re: "Once upon a time.." - a drawing and writing contest!

Post by RikkuGirl »

I wasnt able to finish mine -sighs-

I drew my picture...wasnt able to color it and started my story... I have just been so consumed with school and my mom. :/

If I had another day I could probly get it out there...but times up :( oh well.
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

I sent mine in Sunday because I knew I wouldn't have time to work on it this week. It was perhaps a somewhat short tale...but it's the one Spectrum wanted to tell me. I did leave out the accent though, for better legibility.

Good luck everyone! I'm looking forwards to seeing some of these stories! I sort of hope that Sushi adds all of them to the website so long as the author gave permission and it fits within the world view she has. That way we can always go back and read them over again!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Phew, that was quite the flurry of last-minute entries :D I'll start looking through them tonight and hopefully it won't take me too long to judge everything. I look forward to reading your stories and seeing your pictures!

Sorry I wasn't around to answer last-minute questions, I generally don't get on the computer until Baby Sushi goes down for his nap >_>;
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

So who did get there's in?

Ours ended up being about 12 pages in Word. XD And over half of that was written between yesterday evening and this morning.
Signature under construction!
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

It was terrible! I should have helped more with our twelve pages of story... seeing as Seren pretty much wrote 8 of those pages... XD XD
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

-sighs- Good luck everyone! :D I cant wait to see the winners. :) Im sad that I couldnt get my entry in in time but im so happy that everyone else did! I cant wait to read them all and see the pictures.

Since I wasnt able to finish mine I figure Ill just post what I DID have. :S
I would like to eventually FINISH these two and maybe one day I can work for sushi enough to get to be guest sams for my payment and such.. you know :3 -flails-

OK! So here it is :D

“Gather around babes” said the old tribal mare, her hairless body glowing in the fires dancing light. Designs of all kinds covered her body, some areas smeared where the paint had been touched. Her eyes looked over the tribe babes of which she called, a smile running over her face. “Good…now that you are here…I have a short tale to tell”. The old mare raised her heavily pierced face and parted her lips. “Long ago there was a tribe…much like our own, Hairless or close to it…” She chuckled and looked around. All of the babes were bare bodied, piercings and ribbons tied around their faces, necks and bodies. A few had small tufts of hair as a tail or oddities on their heads…but in general most were quite bare. Though bare, smiles graced each face with the talk of a tribe like theirs.

“Though…unlike our tribe…this tribe had one special feature…Beholder of the Blind Love” She eyed them all with a grin, as if his name should spark pure interest. “You see babes…He had more hair than the gods new knew to do with!” Her expression exploded as did her voice into pure happiness of the thought of hair. “His hair fell down to the ground….everyone in the tribe loved him…he was PERFECT…” She paused and took a sigh. “Except…he was born blind”. A sigh of sadness fell over the group of babes as she told his imperfection. “Though don’t be sad for him babes, for he gained more than sight in this story. Through the hears he grew, piercings and other items would be woven into his gorgeous hair, EXCEPT his tail. He refused to put anything in it for the sheer fact that it was just too soft”.

All of the babes began to wiggle in their places, thinking of how this gorgeous blind tribal stallion must have looked. “He was blessed with long hair, long tufts and even full tufts! Every filly and mare in the tribe swooned over him. He was perfect to them, especially since he was not able to see if they were attractive or not, something which they seemed to take advantage of. Though he was blind, Beholder could see their true inner beauty…He didn’t like any of them. One day he was going through the forest alone, letting the wind and the trees guide him through their midst when he was quickly stopped by a very scary sound. It was a dark grumbling mixed with a somewhat hiss. He stopped dead in his tracks, his ears listening to what was around him…his eyes couldn’t tell” She smiled as the babes began to get scared at the thought of a large scary creature.

“A long slinky creature, they knew as DEMONYR!…It had only two legs, scales that glowed, teeth, horns and small wings that couldn’t lift it into the air if it tried but the wind seemed to carry it like a feather on the breeze…flew down from the tree her body flowing like a snake through water. Her voice was smooth and soothing, “What brings you to my forest?” She asked the stallion. “Nothing…but your sweet voice would cause me to return…” He said to her, the cloth over his face making it quite obvious that he was blind. “My voice?” the demonyr said, confused. “Yes…may I know your name fair mare?” His face gave expression though, he had no eyes to swoon her with. “My…” The demonyr didn’t know how to feel… she was never spoken to by ANYONE in the tribe. They all ran from her because of her appearance, she was hideously ugly to the tribe. “My name is Beauty…Beauty of the Hated Soul..” She said simply as she coiled herself up…”

btw...>.>; i normally do sam pronunciation later (adding the y ;D) lol so its not samified at the moment O_o;
My Sams!

Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

:D It's so awesome RG!!! <3 I already said how much I liked the picture, but the story goes along great! <3
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

^.^ Thanks Seren! :D

My fav part of the stallion is his angel bites xD

-points out the piercings on his lip- xD eeeeee -squeals-

I hope to get them as a couple one day :3 I just need to work on how to color them :/ that was a problem.
My Sams!

Pristine
Mystic
Mystic
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Pristine »

Seren wrote:Ours ended up being about 12 pages in Word. XD And over half of that was written between yesterday evening and this morning.
You know, I've gotten into the habit of typing everything in Notepad, partly so I'm not typing in a comment box on PI and lose it, and partly so I don't get any of that pesky formatting if I copy/paste, so I had no idea how long mine was...

Just popped it into Word and it looks to be 6 1/2 pages. I do not envy Sushi the amount she's going to have to read XD

I actually wrote my story a day or two after the contest started, and just procrastinated until a few days ago getting the drawing started. Really should have spent more time this past weekend on the drawing portion :I Writing just comes more easily to me.

Rikku: Your drawing is really well-done, I bet it would have been amazing colored! I really like the scale-y bumps on Beauty, and all of Beholder's accessories :)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
LvSoulFriend
Song Wrangler
Song Wrangler
Favorite Sam species: Mystic

Post by LvSoulFriend »

I submitted mine and tb's at about 11:10 EST this morning XD Tb wrote the story, and I did the artwork:

Was up til about 1am doing it, haha XD Had a lot of fun though! Can't wait to see who wins!

And the story!
There are Songs for those that fly, for those that are different, for those that are odd. This particular story though, is about a Song that defied the weather, themselves and life for all Samanyrs thereafter. This, is a story of how the Mystics came to be.

Everything began in the desert, where so little and so much life is held. This particular song was rather small, just one stallion and two mares that all loved each other dearly. They were well used to the weather in their climate, but that didn't stop the land from drying on them. Their regular water source was drying up, so they decided to take what water they could and travel for a new one. The ones they knew of nearby were either seasonal, or regularly visited by another Song.

So they went further than they had ever gone before. They endured the bitter cold nights, the only time it was safe for them to travel. All they came across were dried husks of grass, cracked land and bitter sand storms.

Even though they took care with their water from the beginning, they steadily began to run out. They soon began to venture earlier in the night, when the sun hadn't quite slipped past the horizon until it reached around to first touch the sands.

They were able to barely survive, drinking blood whenever they could find and catch a lizard or two. Their strength however, was beginning to drain and soon they were travelling until almost noon in their desperation to find water. They learned to fear sleep, that the night would take them to never return to their vast land.

Still they continued, never stopping to think they might die, that they would wither and dry in their own home. Soon however, they began to fight over the water. Not to take it for themselves, but to give it to their other beloveds. Only some few drops remained, and they were almost at their end.

None wished to be alone, and they still continued, dragging on the hopes that the horizon would hold their salvation.

It did, but never did they imagine that it would come in the form it had. Even after, they would wonder if it had all been a mirage, and the Mystic had always been there.

A Sharian appeared in front of them, in the vast waste that still laid before them. None of them could believe it, or even quite understand what he was saying. All they did, all they could do was look at each other and they offered him the few remaining drops they had brought with them.

He seemed surprised, and rumbled something again. The lead stallion only shook his head, still not coherent enough to be able to make out the words and only pushed the water closer. What the Sharian did with it though, surprised - and saved them all. He let the water drop onto the sands, letting the little sand clouds show before he almost whispered something. The sands began to shift and some little droplets gathered, to be engulfed by the raging sand that was starting to form.

The Song knew they wouldn't be able to survive a storm at this point in their travels, so they only stood firm and watched. The Sharian was in the middle of it all, and he spun a shape from the water droplets, gathering in the sand as the shape began to shrink and solidify. Before them stood a new female, with long strands to mark the long journey they had all travelled. She only smiled at them all, and walked forward with a little prance, her feet pounding into the sand.

The pounding however, began to draw some water around her feet. Not much, only a puddle when she had reached them and stood aside for them to drink. When they had all had their water, they looked up to thank the Sharian for the gift he had given them all, only to see the quiet day of the desert.

They returned to the shade and resumed their travels by night, at the Mystic's insistance. She led them from small areas of water, seeming almost confused and annoyed at herself when she did. The mares took to her and consoled her as best as they could. With her help, they soon found an oasis, their new home.

There were no words for them to express their thanks and gratitude to the ones that saved them. The Mystic herself was said to wander from Desert Song to Desert Song, helping them move on to new water sources when most needed.

But who knows if it's all true. After all, it is just a story.
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

I figured it'd be cool to show the picture at the least XD I had to draw it, and I lack a scanner *nods*
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

Yeah the time sure flew by! And I'm really enjoying reading all the stories and looking at the art you guys are posting! I think our story ended up somewhere around 14 pages with the illustrations. This has been such an amazing contest, a lot of work but a lot of fun!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Ah, amazon, your guy's work sounds amazing. O.O XD

Dapples and her metallic pens XD <3
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer

Post by RikkuGirl »

:D Thanks so much guys for the complements! <3333

I LOVE the onces so far! I cant wait to read them all and enjoy the art as well! I will have to read them this weekend as I dont know how much focus I can put during the week ^.^;

Good luck again to everyone!!!
My Sams!

SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

its gel pens actually XD I didn't know they had s lot that sparkled until after I got it XD
Pristine
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Pristine »

It's probably better that you didn't use a scanner on it. In my experience, since scanners work by bouncing light off the picture and reading what returns, shiny/metallic/glittery things tend not to come out so well... either they turn out a flat color, or the shine is so excessive that the scanner just reads them as white. The picture you took captures all of the glittery-ness perfectly, though :) Gems is one of my favorite Samanayr traits, your Sam would certainly be lovely if it were real!

One of the Sams in my story had double-feathered-wings, too! Boy did they take a long time to get properly situated in the drawing XD
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

XD I think Float has seraphim actually! But yes, Dapples did a wonderful job on the picture. :3 I'm so proud XD

I hope it was seraphim, else I wrote that wrong in the story XD
Pristine
Mystic
Mystic

Post by Pristine »

Ohhh, I think I see the third set of wings on the inside, now. I didn't notice them originally. It's even harder to fit three sets of wings into a picture XD
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

I agree XD Can't wait to see everyone's entries! :D
HybridSiren
The Resident Linkin Park Fangirl
Favorite Sam species: Illiayr

Post by HybridSiren »

Jenna ended up having RL issues, and I ended up having mountains of school work and zero motivation or confidence, so good luck all who did enter! ^.^;;
[he/they]
ImageImageImageImageImage ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
oakleafwolf
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayr!

Post by oakleafwolf »

Everyone's entries look great so far, though the waiting is killing me! (It always does! :3) I actually had a nightmare last night where I had somehow turned in a story about how field mice used to be giant carnivorous monsters... completely forgetting to add anything about Sams in there. O_o

I think the deadline caught up with a lot of people, though. As Amazon mentioned, I hit 'send' on our PM two minutes before the deadline. I had forgotten to load the images to Photobucket before composing and there were formatting errors from copying it out of Word.

In any case, I wish everyone luck! I think this was an epic--no! Legendary!--contest!
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery

Post by SilverDapples »

Three wings! though the third set is hard to see, I will admit XD and usually I take photos because this computer doesn't like my scanner on the printer (which is for a mac XD where as it's printer doesn't have a scanner at all XD)

Actually I listed two or three wings, it was Seren who said three, and I merely said "Okay!" and drew it XD

And really I'm glad there was no scanner.. I really love how the sparkles caught XD *whispers* So... much... sparkle... X3

Plus, I do think the time caught off XD I wasn't even home when the timeline was XD I was still in school!

But I honestly can't wait to see what everyone else did... even the entries that didn't get through yet looked awesome!
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

Have to agree on all that! :3 They're going to be awesome!
oakleafwolf
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayr!

Post by oakleafwolf »

It's interesting to see how each person did their illustrations... Traditional and digital, gel pens even!

I went with digital for the illustrations in our story because I was experimenting with a different style. I wanted a sort of sketchy, watercolor-esque effect for them to make it more of an aged, ambiguous feel. It was soooo hard to stop myself from coloring exactly inside the lines! I am very slightly OCD and it almost hurt to be that rough with it, even if I like the final effect...

here's an example of one of them:
Seren
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Seren »

That is so neat Oak! Amazing even.

I wanted to draw some illustrations that had a hieroglyph/mythogical feel to them, but it ended up not happening as we ran out of time. :/ Oh well! XD Dapples' gel pen Float is awesome.