Cupcake Races

Contests, games, draws, and other ways to get Sams! Also custom availability.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Cupcake Races

Post by silvermoondragon »

Welcome! To the Samanayr Birthday Celebration Cupcake Races!
ImageImageImage
This year's birthday celebrations includes a series of races where participants will race while balancing a cupcake on their heads!

How Racing Works

There will be three different courses. Two on the ground, and one in the air. Each course is 30 spaces long, and has several obstacles the racers must get through, over, around, or under.

Every round, a d6 (six-sided die) will be rolled for each racer. The number rolled determines how many spaces the racer goes forward, and the first Samanayr to the finish line is the winner! There are also prizes for the second and third Sams.

The races will be run here on the forum.

Obstacles

Each course will have a number of obstacles to get through. When a Samanayr reaches an obstacle, a d20 (20-sided die) will be rolled for them. Each obstacle has a number from 1 to 20, based on its difficulty, and the racer's roll must match or beat that number to successfully cross the obstacle.

Until the Samanayr is able to pass the obstacle, they will not move forward. If they successfully pass the obstacle, they will get a regular movement roll that round. If they encounter the obstacle in the middle of regular movement and successfully pass it on the same turn, they will continue forward normally.

If a Samanayr isn't able to pass an obstacle after three tries, they will pass it automatically after the third attempt and keep moving forward on their next turn.

Traits Matter!

A Samanayr's features and traits can give it bonuses or penalties to regular movement and obstacle rolls. The trick is that you won't know what affect your Sam's traits will have before the race starts! Here's some examples:

- A Samanayr with the 'fluffy' or 'extensive tufts' trait will be encumbered by that extra fur, and receive a -1 penalty to each regular movement roll.
- A Samanayr with very long legs is able to leap over obstacles easily, and it will receive a +5 bonus to obstacle rolls that require going over something.
- A Samanayr with the 'butterfly wings' trait will need to be careful going through a dense bramble patch, and will receive a -10 penalty to the roll for that obstacle.
- A water Mystic would be able to gauge the currents and depths of a stream easily, giving it a +10 bonus for any obstacles requiring crossing water.

In the future, you might learn what the obstacles are before a race and be able to choose your Sam accordingly, but for now they're going into the courses blind. Good luck

Terrain

Terrain can play a part in a Samanayr's movement roll on certain courses. For example, if a course was over sandy terrain, the Desert Samanayrs would have a clear advantage and receive a +1 bonus to each roll.

Prizes!
The best part, of course. Prizes will be assigned to the first, second, and third place racers in each race. The main prize for each place in this race is a balloon. A balloon is a globe of light attached to a string. They act like a permanent modiem, and depending on the place you win, you can choose a modiem of different point values.

Like medals, balloons are special items and can only be equipped to the Samanayr that won it. If you're borrowing a Samanayr from someone else, you'll receive the pixel balloon image for your inventory, but you won't be able to equip it to the winning Samanayr unless you give the medal to the Samanayr's owner.

For now, a Samanayr can only wear one balloon at a time, but balloons can be equipped and unequipped. There is also no limit to how many balloons a Samanayr can win!
Also for this race, are cupcakes. These tasty treats, when fed to the mare before foaling, will give one of a list of traits to foals when used in a breeding. The list of traits a cupcake will provide has yet to be determined, but will be posted once they have been decided.

First place

- Image Balloon (any modiem)
- Image Cupcake

Second place

- Image Balloon (any 2-3 point modiem)
- Image Cupcake

Third place

- Image Balloon (any 2 point modiem)
- Image Cupcake

Rules

Is your Samanayr all pumped up and ready to race? Good! Just make sure you read this important information first:

- Each person is allowed to enter one Samanayr per racing event (not one Samanayr per race).
- If you don't own a Samanayr but would like to participate, you may apply using someone else's Samanayr as long as you have the owner's permission. Please see the information under 'prizes' for what will happen if your borrowed Samanayr receives a medal. There is more information at the bottom for non-owners, as well as a list of Samanayrs available for use.
- In the event of a tie, there will be a roll-off between those Samanayrs to see who crosses first.
- Each Samanayr can only be entered in one race.

Apply to Race

There are three races to choose from:

Ground 1

A simple ground course through the Rainbow Hotsprings. Flying is not permitted on this course.

There are 8 spots open for this race.

Ground/Water

A fairly simple course along a large creek. Flying is not permitted on this course; however, aquatics may enter and swim along the creek.

Flying

A low flying course through the Rainbow Hotsprings. Entrants must be able to fly.

Racing applications are open NOW for the Ground/Water course, and will be open until Sept 29, 3:00pm PST, the other courses are now full. Race Spots will be given randomly to everyone who enters each category. To apply for a race spot, send a PM to my account, silvermoondragon, either on the forum or PI(pm’s sent to Sushidragon may get missed or you may miss getting the spot you want), with the subject being the course type you would like your Samanayr to race on (Ground 1, Ground/Water, or Flying) and the following filled out:

Samanayr name:
Samanayr ID:
Which race would you like to enter your Sam in (Ground 1, Ground/Water, Flying)?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you have permission from the owner to use it?
If the Samanayr is not yours, do you understand that any balloons won cannot be equipped to it unless they're given to the Sam's owner?

Races will be run on Sept 29(perhaps one on the 30) and will be spread out a little bit more this time in stead of being run one after the other.
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Re: Cupcake Races

Non-Owner Information

For those of you who don’t yet have a Samanayr of your own, you’re welcome to borrow any of mine (click on the thumbnail for a larger image):
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image and Sands of the Secret Burrow

And here is a list of Samanayrs that are also available for use.

Jennalyn’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Samanayrs with a medal already, Shade of the Contentious Light

Bluestarwolf12’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Slice of the Sinister Skies and Bolt of the Waiting Forest

amazondreamer’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Burble of Delectable Delight

Echos’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Recoil of the Strident Storm

CosmicDragon’s Samanayrs:
See List Here
Restrictions: Rue of the Mortal Sting
---
And if you have multiple Samanayrs or are not planning on racing yourself and wouldn’t mind someone else racing with your Samanayr(s), just post here or send me a pm to volunteer them and I will add them to the list.
Last edited by silvermoondragon on Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Registered Racers:

Ground 1
Image Bluestarwolf12
Image LvSoulFriend
1005 - RikkuGirl
Image CosmicDragon
964 - Janalee
Image Tervenna
Image Nighthenge
1006 - Kentouma

Ground/Water
Image amazondreamer
Image Yuiven
979 - Tasmen
Image - Oakleafwolf
Image - Britain
Image - Pristine
Image - PookaWitch
Image - Janalee

Flying

Image Jennalyn
Image Origami_Dragon
969 - Seren
952 - SilverDapples
1013 - Echos
Image Kagari
Image Orasteele
1018 - LostDollie

Results:
Ground 1

First: Image - Bluestarwolf12's Bolt of the Waiting Forest
Second: Image - LvSoulFriend's Mystic of the Healing Earth

Third: Kentouma's Omen of the Approaching Storm

If you missed the race, here's an animated GIF:

Ground/Water
First: Image - Oakleafwolf's Seeker of the Rushing Sanctuary
Second: Image - Yuiven's Hero of the Dangerous Waters
Third: Image - amazondreamer's Burble of Delectable Delight

Flying
First: Seren's Sirocco
Second: Image - Orasteele's Nightfall

Third: SilverDapples' Wanderer of the Endless Flight

Last edited by silvermoondragon on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Post by Jennalyn »

I wouldn't mind people using my Sams! My only restrictions are Sams that already have a racing medal (Zephyr & Dance) and Shade (since I'm using her now, hopefully). I would request that, if you win, you allowed the Sam in question to equip their balloon bling.

Best of luck to everyone!
Bluestarwolf12
Blue of the Howling Stars
Blue of the Howling Stars
Favorite Sam species: Sa'Grisayr

Post by Bluestarwolf12 »

All of my Sams are available for non-owner use except Slice of the Sinister Skies (who already has a medal) and Bolt of the Waiting Forest (who I'm using).

Good luck, everyone! :3
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

I love the birthday twist on the races! I cant wait to see what the cupcakes do :)

Any of my sams are free to use except Burble (who I'm entering)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Favorite Sam species: You mean I have to choose?

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Oooh, those balloons sound neat! And random trait items are always fun, though I seldom can bring myself to give up the pretty items to use them...

I'm curious how the balloons will work. Will they make it so while they're equipped you can only use one additional modiem (or multiple rarity modiems on top of them), or can you use two more for one effect and get the balloon effect as though it was a single on top of that? I'm guessing the former, but the latter would be neat!

Must think about who to enter in this one...
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Any of my remaining sams are free to use.
Last edited by Echos on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ Origami_Dragon - I'm not entirely sure, but I think you might be right with the first idea where you can only use one additional modiem, I'll check with Sushi on that to make sure though.

@ Echos - don't forget to pm the form :)
CosmicDragon
Mirror Master
Mirror Master
Favorite Sam species: Minayr
Location: Everywhere. And Nowhere. But definitely not Somewhere.

Post by CosmicDragon »

All my Sams but Rue are free for anyone to use should they want them. :3
"The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles." - 11th Doctor
RikkuGirl
Samanayr Dreamer
Favorite Sam species: Butterfly Sams

Post by RikkuGirl »

All of my sams are available for use to anyone who needs them except Menace of the Twisted Rack as I will be using her. :)

Thank you!!!
My Sams!

Im a Chicken... Moooooo! D:
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Ok guys, the registered racers are now posted. Yay, everyone got in to their preferred course! Since the participants fit evenly as 8 in both the Ground 1 and Flying courses, I may as well just change the maximum to 8 racers per course. Which means there are still 5 spots open in the Ground/Water course.
What I'm going to do, is run the Ground 1 and Flying courses first, and open up registration for the Ground/Water course again.

So, that means:

- Ground/Water course registration remain open until 3:00pm PST, at which time, people may enter a second time for this course, first come first serve.
- The Ground 1 race will be starting at 10:00am PST, so in about an hour.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Wow...I'm surprised that so few wanted to race this time, and with such lovely prizes being offered. Good luck everyone!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Eight Samanayrs stand ready at the starting line, cupcakes balanced smartly on their heads ready to go.

Image Bluestarwolf12
Image LvSoulFriend
1005 - RikkuGirl
Image CosmicDragon
964 - Janalee
Image Tervenna
Image Nighthenge
1006 - Kentouma

silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

And with a bang, the racers are off! Our first obstacle comes into view, a series of potholes and they are all at different places for each racer. That ought to mix things up!
oakleafwolf
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Lamanayr!

Post by oakleafwolf »

Doh, PM...
Last edited by oakleafwolf on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

Those potholes seem to be slowing quite a few racers...
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

And a few racers break free of the obstacle, but there's a sound of chaos off in the distance...
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

This round another obstacle comes into view... A group of Samanayrs had tried to set up a table of cupcakes for the race spectators, but there is now a swarm of cupcake-hungry dragonets trying to take them. As the racers come into view, preoccupied with the race, the dragonets see their chance to get their claws on some tasty treats.
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

*blinks* Oh my, that is one massive obstacle for the racers! Do they have to roll to pass each and every step they take? Insanity! Chaos indeed! *stands by with bandages, just in case*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

With this much chaos and flapping wings, it's amazing any of the racers manage to make their way through, although some have had to wrestle their cupcake back from the claws of a hungry dragonet...
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

@ Origami_Dragon - it's each turn(while in the obstacle) they move there's a chance the racer has to wrestle the cupcake back from the thieving dragonet in which case they don't move because they are a little busy trying to get their cupcake back, otherwise they move as normal.

The chaos continues, will they ever make it through?
Origami_Dragon
Watchful Dragon
Watchful Dragon

Post by Origami_Dragon »

Ah, that makes sense. Still a crazy mess for them and an amusing mental image for me. *pauses, then heads off to count her dragonets and make sure none of them are sneaking off for cupcake thievery*
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

The first racer to get past the obstacles heaves a sigh of relief as the sound of flapping fades off into the distance, but others are still dodging the chaos...
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer

A few more racers begin to make their way out of the clearing. With all those cupcakes around, some of those dragonets are sure to end up with sore tummies after this...