Support Samanayrs on Patreon! On hold indefinitely

Talk about anything you want here.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Support Samanayrs on Patreon! On hold indefinitely

Post by Sushidragon »

You guys, I can't thank you enough for the support you've given me through this campaign <3 It's been fun coming up with special rewards and plotting future developments, and knowing that there's so many of you who love Samanayrs as much as I do!

Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that I just can't keep up, and as such I'll be putting the campaign on hold indefinitely. When first writing up all of the details I thought I would have the time and energy to take on the additional work from the rewards and other stuff, but nine months on I've found that this just isn't the case. If I do nothing but work on Samanayrs stuff in my spare time I can get it done, but it doesn't leave time for anything else. I'm not happy with how long it's taken me to deliver on things like the items and info pages, and even if I take a break for a month or two I just spend it playing catch-up.

You've probably noticed it's taken me forever to get the latest Sams done and to get my birthday events up, and honestly it's because I've just felt so burnt out on Samanayr stuff. It's totally unprofessional of me but I've found myself doing anything but working on them, and I'm sorry that it's come to that. I finally got the spliced Sams finished and I should have my events up in the next day or two.

Right now I'll be working on the last of the Patreon stuff, going through the 'do stuff for me' board, and then I'm not sure what will happen. Samanayrs aren't going anywhere, of course, but I need to take some time and work on other things too (especially since I'm in a convention art show in the beginning of Octboer!). I'd like to say I'll be back in action for November so that I can do NaNoSamMo and get in gear for the gift-o-rama, because what's the holidays without gift-o-rama?!

I'll be leaving the campaign page up for now but if you're a patron you won't be charged any time soon.

So, thank you all again, and I'm sorry I overextended myself and slowed stuff down for everyone D:

---

Patreon is a site that allows supports of the arts, or 'patrons,' to contribute to artists and other creative folks. It's like Kickstarter but instead of backing a single project you're supporting an ongoing creative endeavor.

Well, I'd certainly call Samanayrs an ongoing creative endeavor! What started off as a little hobby when I was in high school has turned into a detailed world (well, once I get all the info written down XD), thousands of individual Samanayrs, and an amazing community who I love engaging with. You guys are so awesome and I wouldn't be here without your support and patience <3

Supporting Samanayrs through Patreon allows me to dedicate more time to them on a more consistent basis. Although I love working on them they're a very time-consuming hobby and I feel a little guilty working on them when I could be doing things to generate some income to help out the family. In a few years when the kidlets are both in school I'll have lots of time to do all the things I want to do again, but right now I'm having to prioritize.

If you decide to pledge, you receive different things based on the amount, from an entry in a monthly patron-only draw all the way up to a monthly super special Samanayr :D There's also goals based on the overall amount pledged every month that affect everyone. And you're not charged if I take the month off from Samanayrs, only if I'm active!

Please drop by the Patreon page for more information :D

http://www.patreon.com/samanayrs

Here's the Samanayr for June and July's Patreon draw:
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Re: Support Samanayrs on Patreon! Fun rewards :D

Post by Jennalyn »

I'm extremely excited to see this. ^_^

Also, question! Can we pledge a higher amount for the time being with the ability to reduce the amount at a later month as budgeting situations change?
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: northern tribal

Post by Jaes »

This is a great idea! And seconding Jennalyn's question: Can we change our pledge level? Hopefully 2014 will see me gainfully employed again and I'd love to participate more once my finances improve.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Yep, you can change the amount at any time! The Patreon page actually has a good FAQ about how payments work:

http://www.patreon.com/faq?ftyp=patrons

I'll be uploading the 'supported content' (eg the Sams drawn that month) right at the end of the month, and then you're actually charged at the beginning of the next month (I believe, this is my first time!).

And a huge thank you to Jennalyn for becoming our very first patron :D Looks like I'll be adding some more Samanayr info this month!
Image Image

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Sams are one of my favorite little 'happy places' and I definitely want to read whatever Sam info/lore/stories you throw out! Pluuuus the incentive of a random super special Sam didn't hurt. ;)
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Oh you guys are so awesome, thanks so much :D

Mr Sushi is heading home with my computer tomorrow so I won't be able to write any more until then (hate typing on the iPod!), but I started work on this month's info page (detailed information about Songs and how they work socially). I'll be working on this month's draw Sam and super special Sams when I get home, and also figure out a good time for streams! Yay!

I'm really excited to do more streams, I'm planning on rigging up the webcam so that it will be pointing down and giving a better view of the page :D

Oh, and if your Patreon account has a different name than your Samanayr forum account, please send me a message so I know who you are <3
Image Image

amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

Oh this is brilliant! I can definitely see how having a steady monetary support from Sams will benefit the Sushi clan! I'll definitely have to look it over more when I'm not traveling.

Quick question though- do you expect this will this change/reduce the frequency of paid Sam slots available here on the forums?

Anyway definitely looking forward to what is to come!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Seren
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: ...THEM ALL <3 I'm horrible at choosing~

Post by Seren »

I totally understand the funds situation, especially given the amount of time you spend making Samanayrs!

Unfortunately I probably can not become a patron (maybe anything more than 1 a month) until next summer when I work part time- being a freshman in college doesn't give you a lot of money opportunities! Would love to join in in the future though! I wish you the best Sushi dear. <3
Signature under construction!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

There’s two patrons now who I don’t know who they are on the forum, please send me a message to let me know who you are if your Patreon name is different from your Samanayr username! Thanks :D

I got an email yesterday that Patreon now offers PayPal, yay!

@amazondreamer - Right now I’m not sure how this will affect paid custom slots, we’ll see how it goes after the first month or two :D

@Seren - I totally understand that, good luck freshmaning :D
Image Image

Jaes
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Jaes »

Congrats on the patrons, Sushi!

I was thinking - Have you considered setting up a Tumblr or Pinterest for sams? An image platform like those might be a good way to spread the word about your work and your Patreon campaign.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Thanks for the suggestion! I had considered Tumblr but hadn't thought about Pinterest at all, I don't really use it. Do people have adoptable/art stuff on there?
Image Image

Jaes
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Jaes »

I know Tumblr has a Flight Rising community - for a while, it seemed like that was the only thing on my dashboard - so there are definitely people interested in adoptables. What I like about Tumblr is how easy it is to find and share interests, so I recommend it if you're looking for a way to spread the word. And I see lots of posts for artist commissions and Kickstarters/IndieGoGo campaigns. Even if people don't want to give money, they'll often reblog the post since it's so easy to do.

I don't have a Pinterest myself, but a bunch of my friends do and they love it. Based on my limited experience with it, it seems more like a way to collect information/pictures/whatever rather than share it (which is what I'd say Tumblr's purpose is), but I could be wrong!
amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

I'm addicted to Pintrest :oops: and I'll say that Tumblr is probably the better method of communicating and sharing. Pinterest is more of a link gathering site, very little of Pintrest is people posting their own personal content. Also it's very difficult to directly communicate with other users.

The best use I could think of for Pintrest might be creating an inspiration board for yourself- colors, patterns and reference images to save for later use.
Image Image Image Image Image
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Finished this month's patron draw Sam, a stallion based on Patreon itself :D

@Jaes - That sounds like something I should look into! Especially since there's going to be more sketches and stuff to share with the world ;D

@amazondreamer - Ooh, I hadn't even thought of doing that with Pinterest! I haven't used it since I was pregnant with #2 and was pinning nursery stuff XD
Image Image

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Oooh, he's a handsome thing. Love the hooked snout. And dem tufties. He's the oddest adorable mix of spiky and fluffy and cuddling him seems like a difficult but ultimately rewarding task. Also, his wide swirling markings are gorgeous. :D
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

If you wanted to add another limited middle-ground milestone too, for $25/month or something of the sort, you might offer a random special pet each month? Just for that particular milestone, not for ones above it, hence the limited... I dunno, just a thought! They seem a little less time-intensive than a full Sam and, man, dragonets are awesome... xD
Jaes
Mystery
Mystery

Post by Jaes »

What a gorgeous stallion! I love that hooked snout. I can't wait to see what you cook up for the two super special sams!

And I agree with Jennalyn about other milestones. Maybe even make another random drawing?
SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

That stallion, too cute!!

Annnd I agree with Jenn and Jaes, a random special pet would be really cute to see offered
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Ooh that's something to think about, thank you! Maybe an exclusive breed or something..
Image Image

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Ooh, and as an idea for one page to maybe include on the main site someday! Jobs. :D Currently they only exist in that one thread in the Trading Post where new members might not know where to look for them.
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

Funnily enough, I've actually been working on that on the "Encyclopedia Samanayrica," which I'm eventually hoping to have as the main site (along with the database) :D Pets too!
Image Image

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Ahhh, that delights me beyond all reason!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Post by Sushidragon »

The pet page is actually up but the job page isn't, I think I just needed to get sample images up..

http://samanayrs.net/info/game-information/pets/
Image Image

Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Courtesy of the Patreon initiative, I'd like to introduce Candescence of the Mineral Pyre. It was so cool to be able to watch him born from sketch to color and guess at things as you went along!

SilverDapples
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Deserts and Sa'Grisayrs!

Post by SilverDapples »

Oh my good gods Jenn I'm in love with him. That fire. That color. Those big little hooves TAT
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage