Jenn's New Mischief [Warning: PIC HEAVY]

Talk about anything you want here.
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey
Favorite Sam species: Kodyla

Jenn's New Mischief [Warning: PIC HEAVY]

Post by Jennalyn »

I've been spamming various online hangouts across the interwebz with my squee, and this board is the next to be attacked by the cute. As of this past Halloween, I became mommy to a pair of beautiful baby rats!

I'd been preparing to own rats for several months beforehand, doing research and slowly collecting supplies. I'd been planning on adopting a pair from a breeder in Philadelphia who I'd been in contact with and really liked. Little did I know that the week after I'd purchased my cage and the day after I bought the majority of my mundane daily supplies and the day before I received a huge order of rat hammocks in the mail, a litter of twelve beautiful, healthy babies would be turned over to the animal shelter where I work.

Well. Of course I took two home. It was fate. I also managed to get all ten of their siblings adopted into pet homes over the following week, as opposed to being given to the 'snake guy' as food. They were all spayed and neutered by the amazing Doc for nothing more than diet coke and brownies, whereas it normally costs anywhere between $50-300 to alter a rat depending on gender, location, and vet.

So. They came in on Friday afternoon, right as we were leaving the building. On Saturday, we came into work and Mom and I quickly separated by gender, since rats can become pregnant in literally two seconds and as young as five weeks, right around where these guys were sitting. Then I chose the first two girls to leave their little enclosure, since they were all the same color and practically identical, and they came home with me.

I got home that afternoon to find a box of hammocks on the doorstep, all awesome and huge and stuffed full of fabric. As I was unloading stuff and squeeing over colors and squishy fabrics as I threw them into the washer, my Dad told me I was acting like I was expecting. He then followed that with "I don't care how much stuff you buy, I do not want rats in this house" before going off to get a bowl of stew.

Unfortunately for him, my new agouti baby girls were already sitting in a cat carrier on my bed, covered up by my coat so they could calm down from the car ride in a dark space. HEH.

Mom was standing right behind him in the hallway and gave me a sort of look, then followed him to get some stew. Apparently she gently informed him that it was too late (gently because I didn't hear his reaction from the laundry room) and he asked me what my rat's name was when I went out to get a bowl myself. My reply: "Julie and Audrey." Silly Dad thought I would get just one. Ehehe. No. It's not psychologically healthy for rats to live alone.

The day after, I was happily staring at one of my little monkeys crawling around her new cage, trying to figure out what the heck a tube was and how she should play with it, while the otherwas exploring the wheel that needed to be replaced with a bigger one as soon as possible. I definitely have a pair of runners.

Besides personality, the only way for me to tell them apart is by their tails, where one has the barest bit of white and one has maybe a centimeter more. The markings are a tiny bit different on their bellies, but they're too timid to get a good look most of the time. They were socialized to a very small degree, but they need more handling before they're completely comfortable with "the hand" and people. They're about two months old right now, turned over to the shelter by a local Petsmart wo had the mother abandoned at their store when the babies were pinkies. The employees raised them until they were old enough to be weaned, socializing as best they could while working.

Here's Audrey in the first few days of being home, scared out of her wits and utterly adorable.

Burrow! Julie went under my ear and Audrey loved my hair, seeing as those were the only hiding spots available after I removed my protective hand-cave from the picture.

Since the cage was only hastily set up for them before they arrived with maybe two hammocks, a tube, the liners, their box, and some accessories... I wanted to do a liner-swap and really spruce it up with some of the beautiful accessories made for me.

Finished cleaning and setup. All it needs is ratties!

Sweet little Julie, practically swimming in her extra-huge double decker hammock! This is the first time I saw her in any of the fabric items. Yay!

Here's Audrey in much the same situation as her sister, a week later. They look so cute, dwarfed by the double decker hammocks!

Following their return to the cage, Julie-bear decides to begin her exploration.

Their igloo was on the ground floor following their surgery and now it's up again, so of course she has to check out downstairs.

Wheel-check complete. It's still there! It also smells distinctly less like pee. All good.

She actually came up to the front while I was sitting there and snapping pictures, which is more her sister's style. Quite bold for her!

Okay, enough of that. Back upstairs to the igloo! But first, a quick photo-op.

"Is the coast clear?" asks Audrey from the igloo.

Nope! Thomas is intently watching his favorite station, the Fud Network. Talk about high definition!

Here's a robe full of ratties! They were caught mid-cuddle. Or at least, mid-crawling-around-the-robe.

I've actually had a bit of luck with treats recently. They still aren't interested in the yogurt or dried fruit treats and are only mildly interested in bits of melted frozen carrot, but they love peas. Audrey will take them from my fingers if she's in the mood, though Julie's much more hesitant about The Hand.

They won't take treats if they're in a precarious situation, though, like on my shoulder or body. They have to be on 'even ground' (even if that ground is climbing up a hanging robe) to even consider nibbling on anything. It's definitely progress, though! It just took a couple weeks for them to be comfortable enough to allow it.

I made them a hardboard playpen and they were having a blast with the cardboard box fort I put together. I had Audrey snatching peas for nearly fifteen minutes.

...! Oh yes, I almost forgot. She LOVES Farina, which is this soft, delicious, mushy stuff made by Cream of Wheat. My mom recently introduced us to it and I offered it to her on a whim from my spoon. She sniffed, tentatively licked, and then grabbed the spoon with both hands and tried to yank it away from me. So cute! She spent the next minute or two licking it all up before I gave her some more.

Another incarnation of their cage setup. I find that it's working really well for me to swap the liners out twice a week and change everything up on the weekend. They absolutely adore their Wobust Wodent Wheel, which is huge for them right now!

I also constructed them a "super sekkrit base box fort" out of whatever materials we had on hand at the time and they had a ball with it.

Here are a pair of ladies co-exploring a hyge double decker hammock. These things still absolutely swamp them! It's so cute...

With a pause for cuteness, here is one of the girls in an awesome trippy flower-power cube. It wasn't easy catching them in there, let me tell you!

I finally got a good shot of each individually so that their little shaved tummies are in view. Audrey really didn't care much about the camera. Julie protested but was eventually snapped just the same.

When my hand's not in the way, the marking on Audrey's tummy reminds me oddly of a flying dragon.

Julie did not want to be photographed.

And just for the sake of cuteness, a head poking out of their pocket hammock.

Then. THEN. Because these beautiful girls weren't enough and I knew that my cage safely had room for more...

Jeremy and Ondo have arrived! Four is the max that I feel will comfortably fit in my cage, so I have my mischief. Two boys, two girls, and a whole cage full of zoomy babies!

My brother's girlfriend was kind enough to 'model' the new boys for me. Their names are Jeremy (agouti with white) and Ondo (black with white). Both of them are a tad more social than my girls, with Jeremy being the bolder boy. For all intents and purposes, they're pretty much the same age as my girls. Such handsome young men, too! They, their eight siblings, and their parents were all rescued from a shelter and fostered by Small Angels Rescue until... well... today!

Jeremy is a handsome little beast and he knows it. Look at those goolies! He's quite proud. Of course, they'll be one of the first things to 'go' as soon as I can chat with Doc.

Quite the curious boy. He investigates! Look at that precious little spot on his head.

Ondo is a photogenic little man. Look at that handsome stripe across his face! This isn't a great shot of it, but I'm sure I'll catch one eventually.

He's investigating and giving my 'model' a run for her money. Leeeeeg!

Here he is, taking a moment to sniff the air. Which is currently full of the smell of my room. Heee. It shows off his splashy markings beautifully.

The girls tend to hop in and out of hammocks like poppers, but the boys will sit and chill for a little while longer. I brought them home yesterday and put them all in the corner pocket to relax and get used to the freshly cleaned cage in a snuggly, warm space. All four of them stayed in there together for hours, and the boys pretty much overnight. Of course, that meant it was full of pee and raisins in the morning, but eh. It was time to do laundry anyway!

Here's a picture with two-and-a-nose rats as proof!
Sushidragon
Samanayr Wrangler
Samanayr Wrangler

Re: Jenn's New Mischief [Warning: PIC HEAVY]

Post by Sushidragon »

Yaaaaaay ratties :D I don't know if I knew the story behind them or not but now I do - it's awesome you were able to get them all adopted out, and 'fixed' and everything!

I just love how many things they have in their cage to play with XD

And yay, boys! The 'bits' on male rodents are always very amusing XD They have such pretty markings, I love the face strpie on Ondo!
Image Image

Current icon by Plaguedog
silvermoondragon
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Proud Samanayr Fosterer
Favorite Sam species: Sa'grisayr

Post by silvermoondragon »

aww, so cute!!! Sounds like lots of fun is in store!
Echos
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Desert

Post by Echos »

Aw, those four are too cute! Congrats on your new ratties Jenn. I've always loved rats but between owning cats and my mothers intolerance for the smell I just felt it wasn't the right time to get some. I may pester you with questions in the future though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Sushi, the boy-bits are totally hilarious. xD I think they're so bizarrely cute. Even when they get the snip, there'll still be enough fat there to make the unknowing wonder.

Echos, I'd be happy to help! My biggest recommendation would be to visit the GooseMoose Rats Rule forum at goosemoose.com. That community has helped me out so much!

So, tonight I decided to do a midnight cleaning of the kids' cage, since I hadn't gotten around to it earlier in the day. The load of laundry in the dryer hadn't completely dried, unfortunately, which meant I couldn't use the new towels I bought from Goodwill. I did get to have fun with a new cheapo shelf thing from the Dollar Store, though! They're having a blast with it and jumping around the cage like monkeys. You can see all four in the pic, which pleases me immensely!

I had them all crawling on me in the hardboard pen earlier tonight and it was so entertaining. I really was the convenient human jungle gym in their quest for escape over the barrier! I even had two shoulder rats for a solid ten minutes, one on each side, while Audrey tentatively relaxed in my hands for kisses and rubbing pets.

I also got some really sweet shots of the boys, together and apart. Behold their irresistible cuteness!

amazondreamer
Mystery
Mystery
Favorite Sam species: Northern Aquatic

Post by amazondreamer »

Oh my goodness... the cuteness! Soso darling! I seriously squeed when I saw those pictures.

You've got a great set up there for them too, it's obvious you've done a lot of research and went into rat-ownership well prepared :) Very cool the arrangement you worked out for getting your ratties... ahem "altered."

One toy/game that I'll recommend is stringing up small popcorn garlands from the top or sides of the cage. My girls always loved climbing after treats and the garlands (while they lasted) looked quite festive ;)

Congrats on the adoption!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

Popcorn garlands... I am so going to have to try that. xD I think the girls would attack them like SHARKS!

I caught a sweet shot of the boys yesterday. When I went to get my camera there were three little heads in the cube but, true to form, girlie hopped out the second I moved closed. Oh well - more squishy boyrat faces for the camera to love!

Harroway
Painter
Favorite Sam species: Sibyls

Post by Harroway »

Jenn, they are SO adorable! <3 You're such a lucky lady and a very proud owner, I'm sure!
Jennalyn
Collector and CodeMonkey
Collector and CodeMonkey

Post by Jennalyn »

As an update, Ondo and Jeremy were both neutered this morning! I got to help Doc with the surgery, because she was awesome and amazing and did them both for another case of soda. I'm almost ashamed to say that their poor little squishy selves were utterly adorable under anesthetic.

But they were. They so were.

They're sitting in their carrier on the desk next to me right now. Well, more like a moving pile of fleece is sitting next to me, sporting the occasional nose and set of whiskers. They each got a tiny bit of pain medication, but I'm sure that it will only do so much. Ondo was done second and so he's still a little woozier than his brother. He took longer to go down because of his larger size, and took longer to wake up. And of course he pooped in the gas container and smeared it all over his feet and face while he flopped like a dead fish. But all is well and I cleaned him up before he came back to consciousness.

Neither had a single complication during surgery and everything looked 100% normal. I'm quite relieved. There's always an element of nervousness on the part of the owner, but actually participating in the operation in some way (granted, all I did was hold the anesthetic nozzle, but still) really helped me grasp everything that was going on. It was just like Julie and Audrey's seven brothers, only larger! And of course my mom, being the person she is, got pictures throughout. Because we're weird and easily amused people with very little squeamishness.

So! Two neuters, two teeth trimmings, and a workday full of little faces next to me. I'm honestly thrilled. They're both awake, both fine, and both giving me this confused expression whenever they poke their heads out.
madhatter123
Yearling
Yearling

Post by madhatter123 »

Aw they are so adorable!! *snuggles*

They are so cute! I also love their cage! :)